• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Move over Evangelion and Eureka seveN - Bokurano is here

Akaba

L Kickin' the Noise
[img139]http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/7181/92279103ct4.jpg[/img139]

'Seventh Graders have never been be so mecha...and Shinji and Renton don't count.'

Holy mother of mecha, this series have shown me the light. I caught up to the series in one night. And WOW, this is a great, great manga. It's like they threw in elements of Gantz, Eva, Paranoia Agent and some others to make one of the most fun and deep stories I've read...in a super long time.

The art's nice, and the characters in their 'arcs' are really easy to attach to.

Well...I didn't love EVERYONE. Mako was pretty 'bleh, bleh,' but her story was nicely done. Chizu was pretty 'I hate this character because she's a *****' type of way with her being selfish.

The coolest characters though, by far, are Moji and Ushiro. Moji's arc was DAMN awesome. I loved that arc and Moji's overall character was just calm, laid-back and he had true justice.

And Ushiro is just...the glasses bishie who's fruckin' cool. Besides being abusive to his sister...but besides that, he's damn cool. I'm hoping to see what happened to him to make him that way.

And SMALL spoiler...

Am I the only one who when started reading thought Waku was going to be the main hero? You know? Kick ***, take names, kill aliens and kill even more aliens?

And then...BAM! He's dead. Dead like that. I knew Kappy at the start had thrown them into hell, but I never thought they would kill off Waku.

He just seemed like 'the main man'.

And in this story, there really isn't a main guy...

Except Dung Beetle.

Dung Beetle is tight.

FireKero!

SWABLR
Never heard of this series, but I'll check it out. is it weekly, monthly, or what?

If you say it has elements of Eureka seveN and Neon genesis EVangelion, then this is a series that i have to check out.

The fact that it's by the same creator of Narutaru makes it worth while to check out.

Akaba

L Kickin' the Noise
Eh, monthly done.

It's just pure amazing.

Top 4 manga now that I've read - and it ISN'T DONE.

There is 39 chapters out - but these are, like, FMA length chapters. One a month. Very long. Heart-wrenching, crazy, and just some great character development.

It's like Battle Royale/Paranoia Agent as they all get screentime and there selective arcs to do what they show. It's deep, dark, and pretty screwed up.

And the situation with 'Zearth' the mecha, the kids, and the aliens that attack...is just WAY WAY WAY more complexed then when you first jump into the series.

When you get into it, you go like - 'Wow, this may be pretty cool. Kids. Mecha. This seems like Eureka seveN...but really, these kids make Shinji's life look like a piece of cake.

Just read it. I could give the BIG spoiler in Chapter 6 or so, but when it happens you'll be really surprised.

It's a dark twist. And pretty sick.

You WILL wonder what you would do if you were in these kid's shoes.

50% I think would be a Kako...

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Uh, from what I've heard about it, it's not like Neon Genesis Evangelion or Eureka Seven, at all. Are you saying that because "OH SNAPS KIDS PILOTING MANGA AND CRAZY **** HAPPENS!"? Those are superficial similarities. If the characterization, plot progression, and themes are different, then the "Eva and E7 to Bokurano" comparisons are null.

Of course, I haven't read it for some odd reason, but the thread title and the "JUST LIKE THIS" statements make me cringe.

The fact that it's by the same creator of Narutaru makes it worth while to check out.

Should hopefully excite our local Shadow Star Narutaru fangirl.

Akaba

L Kickin' the Noise
Uh, from what I've heard about it, it's not like Neon Genesis Evangelion or Eureka Seven, at all. Are you saying that because "OH SNAPS KIDS PILOTING MANGA AND CRAZY **** HAPPENS!"? Those are superficial similarities. If the characterization, plot progression, and themes are different, then the "Eva and E7 to Bokurano" comparisons are null.

Of course, I haven't read it for some odd reason, but the thread title and the "JUST LIKE THIS" statements make me cringe.

Eh, hm? Really, to really get into it - it comes off as a Paranoia Agent/Battle Royale story with a really character orianted chapter/episode analogy. A lot of flashbacks into front time like BR manga and Paranoia Agent. The Eva simalarity of basically there are 'aliens'...which really, eh, that's a spoiler, are invading earth.

There's 14 of them. There are what, 13 angels in Eva or so? The Zearth also has similarties to the EVA machines. And then Kako, which really isn't hard to see though, is basically whinier and *****er than Shinji (But at least Kako HAS A RIGHT TO BE.) when piloting.

The plot goes by really slowly. I mean, it's great. It's slow but it builds up to really learn what the 'aliens' are. At the start you have NO IDEA what they are except monsters from another planet...or what they thought.

Later on you learn the truth, ect.

But the main fact is that the robot fights really aren't the story. At all.

In some fights we don't even really see the fight. The fights aren't important...since, well, there's a point to why.

Also Eureka seveN...eh, I meant in the way of my favorite mecha shows. Bokurano really pushed what I thought a real mecha manga should be.

Eureka seveN really has NO similarties to Boku.

Eva? Yes.

Last edited:

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Eh, hm? Really, to really get into it - it comes off as a Paranoia Agent/Battle Royale story with a really character orianted chapter/episode analogy. A lot of flashbacks into front time like BR manga and Paranoia Agent.

The Battle Royale manga is a boring gorefest that I don't particularly care for.

Paranoia Agent is a serious critique on society and observation on human behavior with the current trends and displaying them in allegoric fashions with imagery. Does Bokurano do that?

There's 14 of them. There are what, 13 angels in Eva or so?

... Eighteen Angels in NGE. And again, even if the numbers were closer, those are absolutely superficial similarities.

And then Kako, which really isn't hard to see though, is basically whinier and *****er than Shinji (But at least Kako HAS A RIGHT TO BE.) when piloting.

The hell? Shinji was thrust into protecting the entire freakin' planet by piloting what he sees as a giant robot and fighting against monsterous aliens. He was called for by his father who abandoned him after his mother's death. He has had no emotional care at all in his life since that time. Everyone around him basically uses him. He nearly has one of his two best friends die, has the only man who could be considered a father figure killed, is rejected by the one he cares for the most, finds out another person he deeply cares for is a clone of his mother, has his pseudo-mother trying to have comfort sex with him, has his only remaining friends leave him, and finally has to kill the lone living being to have ever truly offered him unconditional compassion.

YEAH, SHINJI HAS NO RIGHT TO COMPLAIN AT ALL. [/End rant.]

... That said I look forward to reading Bokurano eventually. By any look the manga-ka's Narutaru will be re-released by Dark Horse uneditted soon.

Akaba

L Kickin' the Noise
The Battle Royale manga is a boring gorefest that I don't particularly care for.

Paranoia Agent is a serious critique on society and observation on human behavior with the current trends and displaying them in allegoric fashions with imagery. Does Bokurano do that?

... Eighteen Angels in NGE. And again, even if the numbers were closer, those are absolutely superficial similarities.

The hell? Shinji was thrust into protecting the entire freakin' planet by piloting what he sees as a giant robot and fighting against monsterous aliens. He was called for by his father who abandoned him after his mother's death. He has had no emotional care at all in his life since that time. Everyone around him basically uses him. He nearly has one of his two best friends die, has the only man who could be considered a father figure killed, is rejected by the one he cares for the most, finds out another person he deeply cares for is a clone of his mother, has his pseudo-mother trying to have comfort sex with him, has his only remaining friends leave him, and finally has to kill the lone living being to have ever truly offered him unconditional compassion.

YEAH, SHINJI HAS NO RIGHT TO COMPLAIN AT ALL. [/End rant.]

... That said I look forward to reading Bokurano eventually. By any look the manga-ka's Narutaru will be re-released by Dark Horse uneditted soon.

God I hate you and your evil ways of good debating!

But no, really, the kids in here are thrown into the same situation as Shinji basically except:

HUGE SPOILER.

DO. NOT. READ. IF. YOU. WANT. TO. BE. SPOILED.

There is 0% chance of survival. No chance at all. They will die. No matter what they do. No matter how hard they try, they will die. Since they throw in their own energy in moving Zearth.

And if you don't fight in 48 hours, you die and...the whole Earth/universe/you live in...will blow up. And die. Everything just dies. And dies. And yeah, everything goes 'boom'.

So really these kids are thrown wildly into something they were tricked into, thrown with frucked up pasts like being raped by men, blackamailed, and getting looked down upon by the man you love while he goes out with your sister and doesn't give a rat's *** about you.

Kako, is really, the only one so far (There's...like, 10 or so of the kids have piloted so far and the 11th or so has just started their arc.) who really goes...truely, insane...outside the robot atleast.

He has some frucked up memories he does. And also trying to rape a girl you have a crush on (Chizu) because 'Who cares?! WE'RE GONNA' DIE ANYWAY~!' is pretty creepy.

Really HellKorn, read it. It's really an amazing manga.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
God I hate you and your evil ways of good debating!

Eh, I'm off and on.

Really HellKorn, read it. It's really an amazing manga.

Plan on doing so... With this thread being up like it is, I'll probably check Bokurano out this weekend along with Nijigahara Holograph, another manga that was recently by the same scanlation group. It's complete, it's a one volume deal, and from what I've read about it, it's one of the most insanely complex manga out there. I'm gonna love reading both of 'em.

Akaba

L Kickin' the Noise
Eh, I'm off and on.

Plan on doing so... With this thread being up like it is, I'll probably check Bokurano out this weekend along with Nijigahara Holograph, another manga that was recently by the same scanlation group. It's complete, it's a one volume deal, and from what I've read about it, it's one of the most insanely complex manga out there. I'm gonna love reading both of 'em.

Well Boku caught me off guard. It seems, like...eh, Shadow Star (Haven't read it but from descriptions it sounds kinda the same) where it starts out peachy. Looks like a fun...kinda darkish manga, then it all goes to hell. Backstory galore, and all that.

The fun thing is, again, the fighting of the series really doesn't show the main factor. A lot of the fights are inside the kids themselves and if they do, then we don't even see the real fight and all that.

But we do get some good battle scenes, ect.

And isn't it like Eva where all angels had one 'weak spot' where if it's hit there it'll be destroyed? As that's how it is in Boku.

...I really need to go over Eva again.

zonic the hedgehog

HUR HUR USER TITLE

HAY GUYZ HOWS IT GOIN' 8D

Surprisingly, I've really been anxious to read this manga since the first few scanlations have been released, but... I haven't even read any of it yet.

I just haven't got off my 20th Century Boys and Berserk spree so I haven't had the time to read it! >>

I will get around to downloading it and going through it, however. I fangirl over EVERYTHING in Narutaru (hell, I own the DVDs which came with a T-shirt plus the entire Japanese manga... even if I can't read it), so I really should be quite happy with this one.

Not too much into mecha, but I'm up for reading it! :p

Akaba

L Kickin' the Noise
There really isn't that whole of mecha.

I'm not really a 'mecha nut', but I still love the series.

The characters are enjoyable.

Especially Moji and Ushiro.

FireKero!

SWABLR
to rape someone is when your all gonna die soon anyway. Ackward, but proves a very good point that I have to reference. :)

Yeah, I'll check out this sereis this weekend too. I love mechas. And the fact that they're overly large, bigger then Gundams and Eva's, that's just nuts-orouni's!

Akaba

L Kickin' the Noise
to rape someone is when your all gonna die soon anyway. Ackward, but proves a very good point that I have to reference. :)

Yeah, I'll check out this sereis this weekend too. I love mechas. And the fact that they're overly large, bigger then Gundams and Eva's, that's just nuts-orouni's!

Yeah, Kako was probably the most whinest, insane of all the kids so far. He just tried to run away, cry, hide, rape, and then he has a really funny ending.

FireKero!

SWABLR
Yeah, Kako was probably the most whinest, insane of all the kids so far. He just tried to run away, cry, hide, rape, and then he has a really funny ending.

With someone as screwed up as that, there's not gonna be a viking funeral.

a chance of ANY of the children of survivng? After glancing at some of their profiles, they look so nice. And the chair thingie too, it's kewl. :)

Akaba

L Kickin' the Noise
With someone as screwed up as that, there's not gonna be a viking funeral.

a chance of ANY of the children of survivng? After glancing at some of their profiles, they look so nice. And the chair thingie too, it's kewl. :)

Yes, actually - there is. Well, at this moment, all of them have died (Won't say which to spoil), but the small girl Kana will survive as she never made the contract and surprsingly one of the other kids is also not binded to the contract.

So yeah, one of them MAY life. Or at least they won't die by piloting.

FireKero!

SWABLR
lol,
small girls are always the ones to live. :p

Hmm, so this series does have emotion afterall. That's a good thing.

Catalyst

Aim for the Top.
So how is it possible to get scans of this series since it looks pretty good.