• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Moves and Abilities Pokemon Should Have But Don't V2

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
Infernape should have Aura Sphere.

Um.... why?

1. Empoleon could have learned razor shell (If Shellder can, why not the piplup line?)

o_O
Because they don't have shells....

2. Serperior needs Shadow Ball, Psychic, Aura Sphere.
3. Seismitoad needs Ice Beam.
4. Stoutland needs Close Combat.
5. Leavanny needs Brick Break.

None of these make any sense.

- Serperior should've gotten Close Combat/Superpower, Draco Meteor.

I find it hard to imagine a Pokemon with no arms or legs using Close Combat/Superpower. And they're been making it a point to only give Draco Meteor to Dragon-types (with the exception of that event Jirachi.)

Scizor should be able to Fly.

According to the Pokedex, Scizor doesn't fly.

I also think that Hitmonchan needs Sucker Punch.

There's no reason to give it Sucker Punch. The attack's real name is "Ambush." Nothing about punching. That's why Pokemon with no arms can learn it and why it's not affected by Iron Fist.

Last edited:

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
Because it's a more reliable STAB move than Focus Blast? And Infernape has a high special attack?

But it makes no sense for it to learn an aura-based move. If they give Pokemon moves based solely on how useful they'd be in battle, logic be damned, then Gyarados would know Aerial Ace and Ampharos would know Ice Beam.

Okay, Mr. Logic, you try to come up with something better.

Why? I'm just saying, it doesn't make sense to give those Pokemon those moves. Why would a leafy snake know Psychic or Shadow Ball, or least of all Aura Sphere? Seismitoad really has nothing to do with ice or cold. And Leavanny's arms couldn't use a move like Brick Break.

Last edited:

KingWiggins

I always thought one day they would give Granbull Giga Drain..

Lanik

Why would a leafy snake know Psychic or Shadow Ball, or least of all Aura Sphere?
Why would a frog know Psychic? Why would a sheep dog know Shadow Ball? The same reason that leafy snake should know those two moves. That said, I want more special moves for Serperior.

Also, Aura Sphere for Serperior is just an idea the competitive players came up with.

Seismitoad really has nothing to do with ice or cold.
Gastrodon and Whiscash can learn Ice Beam. Seismitoad should be more like them. And besides, almost every water Pokémon can learn it.

And Leavanny's arms couldn't use a move like Brick Break
Take a gander at Scyther; it's got no fingers and it can learn Brick Break. All Pokémon with arms should have access to that move.

KingWiggins

Granbull not getting Giga Drain doesn't make sense. I always thought of Giga Drain as the foe biting into its opponent and gaining back health. Well Granbull has pretty huge fangs. I'm not basing this on his terrible Special Attack ,considering Sceptile is one of the few pokemon that gets Leaf Blade but it's Attack stat sucks. It always just kinda appealed to me that it should get it, but again, the last time I really put thought into this was when I was 11... :L

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
Why would a frog know Psychic? Why would a sheep dog know Shadow Ball? The same reason that leafy snake should know those two moves. That said, I want more special moves for Serperior.

Also, Aura Sphere for Serperior is just an idea the competitive players came up with.

Politoed only knows Psychic because Poliwhirl can hypnotize people.
I don't know about Stoutland, other than Game Freak really likes to drive the point home that Normal-types can learn moves of a lot of different types.

Take a gander at Scyther; it's got no fingers and it can learn Brick Break. All Pokémon with arms should have access to that move.

Scyther also has razor-sharp scythes on its arms. I would assume that's their logic. I find it easily to picture Scyther slicing a brick than Leavanny trying to crack one.

Lanik

Granbull not getting Giga Drain doesn't make sense. I always thought of Giga Drain as the foe biting into its opponent and gaining back health. Well Granbull has pretty huge fangs. I'm not basing this on his terrible Special Attack ,considering Sceptile is one of the few pokemon that gets Leaf Blade but it's Attack stat sucks. It always just kinda appealed to me that it should get it, but again, the last time I really put thought into this was when I was 11... :L

I think you've mistaken Giga Drain for Leech Life. Special moves never make contact with the target, ever. Leech Life has to do with sinking one's own teeth into something.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
Seismitoad NOT learning Ice Beam actually makes great sense, Toads don't like Ice, and most of the ones in the Moor of Icarus and Icarus City disappear when the weather turns cold.

pikadon92

Raiden Maximus
I have said it once, and I will say it again. Charizard needs tail glow. Badly. Even if it doesn't make more sense than manaphy being a fire fly or having a tail.

Hidden Power

I don't like the idea of Pokemon getting moves that are anatomically impossible for them to execute. Things like beams are still pretty flexible in how it can be fired (from the mouth, launched from the mind, between your palms), but ice punch on Wooper? Then there's Toxic, a very unique Poison move that can somehow be learned by every Pokemon out there. It's nothing like Rest, which is a Normal move and 'normal' for any Pokemon (besides Rgigigas) to take a nap.

Ability-wise, with every generation GF adds a few new ones, so we have a situation of some abilities assigned to too many Pokemon and the newer ones being rarer. Levitate is kind of overused. It's given to some Pokemon that don't really 'levitate' per se, like Flygon, Hydreigon, over Pokemon that certainly levitates perpetually, like Magnetmite and Drifloon. I have no idea why Rotom is given levitate as well. Sure, it's a ghost, but that doesn't mean we give every Ghost Pokemon levitate, otherwise Ghost type might as well be immune to Ground moves. And none of the Rotom Formes other than the fan (which happens to be inherently immune to ground anyway) were ever depicted as floating.

Last edited:

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
It's nothing like Rest, which is a Normal move and 'normal' for any Pokemon (besides Rgigigas) to take a nap.

Actually, Rest is Psychic-type for some weird reason. I always thought that was odd. You need to be psychic to fall asleep?

The real explanation is probably something like 'you have to have intense concentration or hypnosis to fall asleep in the middle of a fight.' But it's still weird.

Not that status moves' types make a lick of difference anyway.

Hidden Power

Actually, Rest is Psychic-type for some weird reason. I always thought that was odd. You need to be psychic to fall asleep?

The real explanation is probably something like 'you have to have intense concentration or hypnosis to fall asleep in the middle of a fight.' But it's still weird.

Not that status moves' types make a lick of difference anyway.

Another misconception of mine clarified again.
Same thing happened a few days ago. I found out that Dream Eater was a Psychic type move. I've always thought that it was a Ghost type since my Haunter learned it in Gen I, during which I chose to delete Hypnosis for it *facepalm*. So the idea of scary ghosts eating my dreams stuck with me for quite a while, until Gen V.

Speaking of Dream Eater, putting aside the fact that no one uses it in competitive setting and that Sleep status was nerfed over time, there's actually Pokemon who can learn this move even though they have no access to sleep-inducing moves. Really useful I must say.

Moves that Pokemon should be able to learn

Are you ever surprised when you find out that Blastoise can't learn Tri Attack even though it has a mouth and two cannons? Or perhaps Torterra can't learn Rollout? Share your thoughts.