• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Moves Pokemon SHOULDN'T be Able to Learn

wobbanut

Team Awesome
The anime really gave the wrong impression of aerial ace. From what they showed with swellow and staravia, it really looks like only a a move bird pokemon can use, but according to the games a whole lot more non-flying pokemon can use it. For instance, Charizard being able to use it makes sense, but how do Charmander and Charmeleon do it? The anime hasn't explained.

Serpentine

Pokemon Breeder
The anime really gave the wrong impression of aerial ace. From what they showed with swellow and staravia, it really looks like only a a move bird pokemon can use, but according to the games a whole lot more non-flying pokemon can use it. For instance, Charizard being able to use it makes sense, but how do Charmander and Charmeleon do it? The anime hasn't explained.

It just happened that the two birds could learn Aerial Ace and were fast.

lisalynn

Charizard being able to use it makes sense, but how do Charmander and Charmeleon do it? The anime hasn't explained.

Flying types use it differently than non-flying types. I know there's canon examples of moves looking different depending on what's using it, but for AA let's say Charmeleon could jump super high (or rebound off a hit) and put all the speed from falling into a nasty slice from those claws. I like how the anime lets you be creative with moves, which is why I think I like Dawn the best. After she was done whining she was fun to watch!!

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
Aerial Ace is based on a legendary sword technique called the "Turning Swallow Cut" or "Swallow Return." It was called that because it was invented after watching the way swallow's tails moved. The Japanese name of the Pokemon move is even called Swallow Return. (This is why it's Flying-type and probably not a coincidence that they made the regional bird a swallow in the generation they introduced Aerial Ace.) It involves a rapid slash downward and then upward on the same line; no flight is required. (The RSE animation even makes this motion.) So Dugtrio is not required to leave the ground to perform this move. Also, the technique was known for being quick and precise, which is why the Pokemon move has perfect accuracy.
And so, lots of Pokemon with claws can learn it, but also most birds because of its origin.

As for wobbanut's question, the anime has shown non-birds use the move several times. Here are descriptions of what it looked like, although it sounds like they just made into a ramming move or a move where you disappear and then strike. Maybe the writers didn't get the reference.

Last edited:

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
Are you certain? I don't recall it doing so. The Gen IV animation definitely did, but I'm not so sure about Gen III.

Oh you're right, it was Gen 4. My mistake.

But nevertheless, it still shows that Aerial Ace is based on the Swallow Cut.

Tonguetyd

Guillotine's description says:
"A vicious,tearing attack with big pincers."
Then how come Haxorus can learn the move despite not posessing pincers?

Jonah the Slaking

Couch-bound Warrior
Game Freak logic:

Shroomish can learn Focus Punch
Torchic can learn Dynamicpunch
Wooper can learn Ice Punch
Ampharos can't learn Tail Glow

WHAT IS THIS.

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
Game Freak logic:

Shroomish can learn Focus Punch
Torchic can learn Dynamicpunch
Wooper can learn Ice Punch
Ampharos can't learn Tail Glow

WHAT IS THIS.

Because their evolutions have arms, and they had to make some way to give them those moves.

Although I agree with you about Ampharos. All the 'dex entries mention the glowing tail. Maybe they thought it'd be too OP.

Tonguetyd

How can Primeape learn scratch n' aerial ace?It doesn't even have claws.

JoeyEs

How can Snorlax learn Surf? He's a big heffalump lmao

JoeyEs

Pesky_Bug

Infinite Inferno
Flying types use it differently than non-flying types. I know there's canon examples of moves looking different depending on what's using it, but for AA let's say Charmeleon could jump super high (or rebound off a hit) and put all the speed from falling into a nasty slice from those claws. I like how the anime lets you be creative with moves, which is why I think I like Dawn the best. After she was done whining she was fun to watch!!
Although that's really not the way the anime portrayed it. Non-fliers like Arcanine and Leafeon simply tackled the opponent with their bodies. Once.

Serpentine

Pokemon Breeder
I know this doesn't really relate to how Pokemon can't use certain moves, but how can you use Grass Knot in places without grass? I mean, I can somewhat understand how Pokemon that aren't grass types can use grass knot, they like tie grass real quick and then the Pokemon trips, but say you're inside a building or in a cave or even on the ocean, somebody's probably going to say Seaweed, but explain the others.

Serpentine

Pokemon Breeder
I know this doesn't really relate to how Pokemon can't use certain moves, but how can you use Grass Knot in places without grass? I mean, I can somewhat understand how Pokemon that aren't grass types can use grass knot, they like tie grass real quick and then the Pokemon trips, but say you're inside a building or in a cave or even on the ocean, somebody's probably going to say Seaweed, but explain the others.