• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Moves that are used in the anime that cannot be learned in the games

Alexander Dusk Lycanroc

Trainer determined to protect friends
Has anybody noticed that some pokemon in the anime (Like Ash's Pikachu) use moves that they cannot learn in the games yet they use them in the anime?

Alexander Dusk Lycanroc

Take Ash's pikachu for an example, Ash tells it to use Iron tail and it used Iron tail, Yet Pikachu cannot learn Iron tail in the games. Not by leveling up nor from a TM.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
What are you talking about. Pikachu's been able to use Iron Tail since the move's debut in Gen II.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Alexander Dusk Lycanroc said:
Take Ash's pikachu for an example, Ash tells it to use Iron tail and it used Iron tail, Yet Pikachu cannot learn Iron tail in the games. Not by leveling up nor from a TM.

Pikachu's been able to learn Iron Tail through TM since the Gen II games, and through a TR in Gen VIII. There are plenty of examples of Pokemon in the anime using moves that they can't learn in the games, but this Iron Tail case isn't one of them.

Alexander Dusk Lycanroc

Idk about that, but I have not seen a Pikachu learning Iron tail, and I play Crystal, and I own and play both sword and shield

Leonhart

Imagineer
Alexander Dusk Lycanroc said:
Idk about that, but I have not seen a Pikachu learning Iron tail, and I play Crystal, and I own and play both sword and shield

So because you've personally never encountered a Pikachu with Iron Tail in the games, you simply disregard the fact that the species literally can learn the move ever since G/S? You can check the main site if you don't believe us.

Last edited:

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
That was an improvised move, not actual Whirlwind. If we count those, then we have A LOT of those in the list
I’d include those; they help document the different ways battles are depicted between the anime & games, which is the point of this thread.

Alexander Dusk Lycanroc

So because you've personally never encountered a Pikachu with Iron Tail in the games, you simply disregard the fact that the species literally can learn the move ever since G/S? You can check the main site if you don't believe us.
No, I have a Pikachu in Ultra moon (Ash Pikachu) and I use it, but I can't find a Pikachu that knows Iron tail in the wild.

No, I have a Pikachu in Ultra moon (Ash Pikachu) and I use it, but I can't find a Pikachu that knows Iron tail in the wild.
That's because Pikachu can't learn Iron Tail naturally, it has to use a TM/TR (a man-made device) to learn it

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
That was an improvised move, not actual Whirlwind. If we count those, then we have A LOT of those in the list
I’d include those; they help document the different ways battles are depicted between the anime & games, which is the point of this thread.

But as Leonhart said, it WASN'T a move, improvised or otherwise. Satoshi just told Fushigidane to blow the dust away ("fukitobase!") and the dub translators misheard it as "fukitobashi", the move called Whirlwind in English.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
I’m more concerned with how many times the anime ignored types (Dawn’s Mamoswine being hurt by Spark and James’s Inkay doing damage to TF’s Weavile)
The anime didn’t quite settle on that until BW. Shinji’s Eleboo’s ThunderPunch hurt Gligar and Manmoo was hurt by Plusle/Minun but not Pachirisu in another double battle. Sometimes it’s “Pokémon has a vulnerable spot where electricity works” other times its “Water soaking Ground-type” makes electricity work. Other times it’s “with enough strength you can hurt Ground-types” like with both Hoenn/Kanto Rock-type gyms.

I think the “Ghost-type” moves not hurting Normal-types and vice versa is the most forgotten. They seemed to try with BW at first. They had the Ghost-type Pokémon attack the group Pokémon with Shadow Ball but Nyarths with Inferno. Logically I don’t remember any other cases of attacks working against Pokémon they should be immune to as of recently? Was gonna say Bone Rush then remembered Gengar technically don’t Levitate anymore and I do remember it working against Luchabull in XY (fair enough; it’s not a Ground-based move and Luchabull glides and is humanoid and grounded most of the time).

Alexander Dusk Lycanroc

I have to say, It's very odd how the anime works. For example, In the anime, the trainer tells their Pokemon to dodge an attack, and they do it, and whenever I try that, I just get nothing, and somehow, when I am quiet, it dodges because my in-game trainer told it to. How does that work???