• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Moves that Pokémon can't learn but should learn?

Leonhart

Imagineer
I've been playing SoulSilver recently and noticed that Kyuukon (Ninetales) can't learn Psychic, which seems ridiculous since it can learn Extrasensory via breeding.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Why can't Victini learn V-Create already?

Victini only knows V-Create from event distributions so by technicality Victini can learn V-Create but not through in-game methods.

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
Meganium should learn Spore and Iron Defense (Or some sort of defense move).

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Meganium should learn Spore and Iron Defense (Or some sort of defense move).

I don't think Iron Defence fits it at all. I wouldn't mind Meganium getting a little buff though, I'd like to see it get Floral Healing instead of Heal Pulse, and maybe get Stockpile, Cotton Guard, or something like that. Cotton Spore would also be a pretty neat thing for it to get. Meganium is in kind of a weird state right now. As a purely defensive pokémon Eviolite Bayleef is slightly tankier, and it gets a lot of defensive support moves to do things like Aromatherapy, Sweet Scent, Heal Pulse, Synthesis, Grassy Terrain, Reflect, Light Screen, Leech Seed, etc. but it suffers due to Grass being a bit of a poor typing and its defensive stats are just slightly not enough for it to really reliably stall. If it had like 20 more on both defences and 20 less on both attacking stats I think it'd be a pretty solid defensive pokémon.

Anyway, I think Cresselia should get Cosmic Power.

Last edited:

DatsRight

I’ve always thought Inkay and Malamar should have access to Octazooka.

Yeah, the damn thing's called INKay (and I don't think it's lost to Japanese gamers either since Inkay spits ink in the anime). Give it that or Sludge Bomb (if you want to get finicky about it being a squid and not an octopus).

I find it odd Murkrow and Meowth don't have any stealing moves in their natural move set (they can learn Thief and Covet but only through TM or tutoring, if those are taken out of the equation they're screwed). It's even more annoying because both moves respectively fit their type (and Covet would also give Meowth a perfect Technician STAB it lacks in it's current move set).

I also think Magikarp should get at least ONE STAB move like Caterpie and Weedle ultimately did. A mediocre one that you learn around the same time Gyarados learns it's last move, but still, ONE reward for raising the damn thing. Water Pulse would likely fit perfectly since it has the added effect of confusing the opponent, baffling it's enemy that it got in a decent hit. XD

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Yeah, the damn thing's called INKay (and I don't think it's lost to Japanese gamers either since Inkay spits ink in the anime). Give it that or Sludge Bomb (if you want to get finicky about it being a squid and not an octopus).

I find it odd Murkrow and Meowth don't have any stealing moves in their natural move set (they can learn Thief and Covet but only through TM or tutoring, if those are taken out of the equation they're screwed). It's even more annoying because both moves respectively fit their type (and Covet would also give Meowth a perfect Technician STAB it lacks in it's current move set).

I also think Magikarp should get at least ONE STAB move like Caterpie and Weedle ultimately did. A mediocre one that you learn around the same time Gyarados learns it's last move, but still, ONE reward for raising the damn thing. Water Pulse would likely fit perfectly since it has the added effect of confusing the opponent, baffling it's enemy that it got in a decent hit. XD

Maybe it's because Inkay and Malamar aren't OCTapi. It would be amusing if Magikarp learned an extremely powerful Water-type move...at Level 50

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Maybe it's because Inkay and Malamar aren't OCTapi. It would be amusing if Magikarp learned an extremely powerful Water-type move...at Level 50

Neither is HORSEa and it gets Octazooka as an egg move. Explain that?

RedJirachi

Veteran member

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Wait, WHAT?! Alright, I'll explain it...Pokemon gave it randomly

Because Horsea has the ability to spray ink according to its various Pokédex entries and the move Octazooka involves spraying ink.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Because Horsea has the ability to spray ink according to its various Pokédex entries and the move Octazooka involves spraying ink.

I'm pretty sure squids can spray ink

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I'm pretty sure squids can spray ink

It would be nice if Inkay/Malamar was able to learn Octazooka to make a reference to squids spraying ink.

Ascended Dialga

Why can't Lucario learn Iron Head?

RedJirachi

Veteran member

Charizard Lord

Probably Napping
Still peeved about Aurorus not having access to Power Gem...

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
I've always found it odd that Alolan Vulpix/Ninetales can't learn Water Pulse, considering the fact most non-Water Ice-type Pokemon get the move. Yet they can learn Aqua Tail, despite having very low Attack.

raichu27

I've always found it odd that Alolan Vulpix/Ninetales can't learn Water Pulse, considering the fact most non-Water Ice-type Pokemon get the move. Yet they can learn Aqua Tail, despite having very low Attack.
I feel that way, too. Plus, I think Water Pulse makes a fair coverage move for a Ice type. It would've been nice if Bubblebeam returned as a Move Tutor move.

I also would like to see Espeon and Golduck learn Power Gem due to having that red gem on there heads.

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Avalugg really needs a reliable physical Ice STAB move. Avalanche has negative priority and Ice Fang just doesn't have the base power. It needs something like Icicle Crash or even stronger. I mean, it's not the only ice type that suffers from this, Abomasnow also suffers from it but Abomasnow at least has Ice Punch over Ice Fang and also has good special options. Lapras also doesn't get good physical Ice STAB but at least has good special options. Avalugg gets special attacks but its Sp.Atk stat is so garbage it can't salvage them. Kyurem-Black also suffers from this to an extent, but at least has Freeze Shock to somewhat compensate, which it can salvage for one-time use with Icium Z.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I'd like to see Altaria learn Thunder because that will make use of the fact that it has Rain Dance and that it's literally a cloud bird although cumulus clouds don't drop lightning.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I find it odd how Umbreon can’t learn Moonblast despite being classified as the Moonlight Pokémon and powered by the moon and Espeon doesn’t get Solarbeam despite being the Sun Pokémon and powered by sunlight.