• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Moves that Pokémon can't learn but should learn?

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I find it odd how Umbreon can’t learn Moonblast despite being classified as the Moonlight Pokémon and powered by the moon and Espeon doesn’t get Solarbeam despite being the Sun Pokémon and powered by sunlight.

Maybe this signature Fairy move is something its opposite, Dark types, cannot use. No other Dark type can learn it

M.E.R.255

Triangle Face
I'm not entirely sure if anyone has mentioned this already or if it fits in this topics... but I can't understand how Cosmog can only use Splash and Teleport (also no moves through TM/HM, breeding, or tutoring), yet somehow blows a bridge up in a cutscene. :O Maybe it would be fitting to have a move that actually breaks stuff, or did Splash actually do something for once?

Anyways, I at least expected it to learn Swift, seeing how it looks like a Pokemon from the cosmos (with the way it looks and is named) and thought "Cosmog shooting stars at Pokémon would be a neat reference to the cosmos/universe that it seems to be from".

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I'm not entirely sure if anyone has mentioned this already or if it fits in this topics... but I can't understand how Cosmog can only use Splash and Teleport (also no moves through TM/HM, breeding, or tutoring), yet somehow blows a bridge up in a cutscene. :O Maybe it would be fitting to have a move that actually breaks stuff, or did Splash actually do something for once?

Anyways, I at least expected it to learn Swift, seeing how it looks like a Pokemon from the cosmos (with the way it looks and is named) and thought "Cosmog shooting stars at Pokémon would be a neat reference to the cosmos/universe that it seems to be from".

They want to make your life difficult in getting another mascot legendary. Though considering Nebby's awful stats, they could probably just give it Tackle and still fit that

M.E.R.255

Triangle Face
They want to make your life difficult in getting another mascot legendary. Though considering Nebby's awful stats, they could probably just give it Tackle and still fit that

Agreed! *sweat*
Also thank you for being the first person in here to reply to any of my posts! =D *hug*

AHEM! Right, I should be posting about moves Pokémon should know, but don't...
Again, no clue if someone said this before (WOW! I started a row with the letter A 4x! oO) but how is it that Scyther;123;, a Bug- and Flying-type Pokémon, can't learn Fly?!

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I'd also like Cosmoem to at least learn Toxic and Recover so that it would fit the purpose of it being a stall Pokémon although it will still get walled by Steel types.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Hydreigon is the Brutal Pokémon, yet he can't learn Nasty Plot, but Pichu can. :/

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member

Agree, in my list on the first page, I stated this:

Cosmog, Cosmoem: Tackle, Psywave, Confusion, Stored Power, Hidden Power, Rest
Cosmog: Cosmic Power

To me at least, the bridge scene pretty much looks like it is using Stored Power or Hidden Power, so it should have been able to learn the move.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I've said this before (not in this thread) and I'll say it again!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give me Aerodactyl Head Smash!!!!

LusoTrainer

Retro Trainer
I've never cared much for this Pokémon, so it should be no surprise that only recently did I discover that Drowzee can't learn Dream Eater naturally. I mean, what the...?! Eating dreams is what he's all about, or so I was led to believe. How the heck did this happen? Not even as an Hypno does it learn this move...

Oh, and Moltres should be able to learn Drill Peck.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I think that Sylveon doesn't learn enough moves that makes use of its ribbons which are a signature part of its design and because of that. I thought it should learn Wrap.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Pokemon based on mammals that are rodents, lagomorphs, and carnivores should all be able to learn "biting moves" (such as Bite and Crunch) through TM or tutor if they don't learn them through other means already. For those based on rodents and lagomorphs (such as Pikachu and Buneary), in real life those animals have continuously-growing incisors and so must keep biting/gnawing on things to wear them down and keep them from growing too big. Carnivores have very sharp teeth, so it would be fitting for all Pokemon based on mammals of the order carnivora to learn the moves. There are some, like the Vulpix line (based on foxes) and the Seel line (based on pinnipeds) that can't currently learn the moves.

Sprinter1988

I feel like Unown should also get Secret Power, Nature Power, Stored Power and Ancient Power.

Magmortar cannot learn Sludge Bomb, even though Houndoom, Torkoal and Volcanion can. For that matter, why can't Magmortar get Flash Cannon and Zap Cannon? Its arms are cannons!

Technically Ekans and Arbok can get Poison Fang if you breed for it, but that really seems like a move they should automatically get, as both get Bite while Arbok also gets Crunch, Thunder Fang, Ice Fang and Fire Fang. I mean..... COME ON!
Also, I feel like Ekans and Arbok sould get Slam by level up, like how Onix, Dratini, Dragonair, Servine and Serperior do.

Sceptile should get Dragonbreath and Dragon Pulse through level up. Yes, you can technically breed the first onto it and teach it the other through move tutor, but its a special attacker, it gains the dragon type on evolution, its mega ability raises its special attack if hit by an electric attack, and the only dragon type move it gets through level up is Dual Chop. Way to screw over Sceptile, Game Freak!

Scammel

It's a little irrelevant competitively considering just how damn powerful and reliable Aerilate Return/Frustration is, but Pinsir should definitely learn Megahorn - if it's good enough for Stantler, Sawsbuck, Xerneas and Tapu Bulu, it's definitely appropriate for the OG beetle.

While you're at it, give it Extreme Speed.

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
I'm gonna have to say Torterra should learn Ingrain. Its just a little silly he doesn't get this but gets Synthesis/Leech Seed.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Skiddo and Gogoat can learn Milk Drink I learned, but I also found out that even males of the species can learn it. I think this move should be limited to females of those Pokemon.

While we're at it, all mammalian Pokemon part of evolutionary lines that have members that can breed should learn the move as a TM as long as they are female, with an added bonus - if said Pokemon knows the move and has mothered another Pokemon, she can heal her offspring with the move outside of battle, analogous to a mother mammal feeding her milk to her young.

reedcollins

ReginaRegina
I realized today that Mawile can't learn Dazzling Gleam. I was so excited when I found the TM to give it to my fairy type, but oh well. Are most pokemon of a certain type able to learn most of the moves of that same type? I know there are clear excepions, but doe anyone know why Mawile can't learn Dazzling Gleam?

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
I realized today that Mawile can't learn Dazzling Gleam. I was so excited when I found the TM to give it to my fairy type, but oh well. Are most pokemon of a certain type able to learn most of the moves of that same type? I know there are clear excepions, but doe anyone know why Mawile can't learn Dazzling Gleam?

I don't think anyone knows. GF is so random with light-based moves for some reason, with Mareep line still not getting Tail Glow while things like Kingdra and Camerupt learns Flash Cannon somehow.

On the other hand, Dazzling Gleam is a bad move for Mawile anyway. You'll want Play Rough to make use of its much better Attack stat.