• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Moves that Pokemon SHOULD be able to learn, but can't (new edition)

MastersOfMonsters

~Yaoi FanBoy~
Not sure about moves they should be able to know, but I'm very curious to how Ryhorn can use Tail Whip and Diglett can use Scratch. :D

Cronkr

Pokemon Breeder
I vote Yanomami/yanmega should learn fly also, 4 wings should support them and a human if pidgey can. Also feel like they should make it that whooper and Shroomish shouldn't be able tolerance punching moves when they have no arms...

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
inb4 flareon and flare blitz. srsly though, it does need it.

!jirachi!

3/4 dead...
gyarados should learn fly. why not it's a flying type.
wouldn't it be awesome if you could fly on a gaint chinese water dragon!

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Raichu needs all the elemental punches.
Brave Bird shouldn't be a egg move for Skarmory, let it learn it naturally.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Zapdos and Articuno should be able to learn through level up, the move Air Slash.
Moltres can, and both Zapdos & Articuno lacks a Special-based Flying move, so why not Air Slash?
Besides, many normal bird Pokemon (Pidgeot and Unfezant for example) can learn the move. So why legendary birds like Zapdos and Articuno can't learn the move?

As someone else has mentioned, Kyurem should have been able to learn basically every single physical Ice move. Especially Icicle Crash, it doesn't make sense that it can't learn the move, Glaciate in that famous cutscene is being shown as a bunch of icicles. Also, Black Kyurem has that huge muscle arm. And it can't learn Ice Punch? Really doesn't make any sense.

Flareon.....well, at this point I don't think just Flare Blitz would help. Adding Flare Blitz is a good idea, but what's even better is to increase its coverage through adding new physical moves, that's anything other than Fire or Normal. Even better if those moves have synergy with Curse, as at this point it is obvious enough that Flareon is meant to be a Fire-Type that's a more offensive version of Umbreon (basically, a slow attacker) instead of being a fast attacker like most of the other Fire-Types. Hopefully X/Y will give this kind of movepool boost to Flareon.

If Gyarados should learn any Flying move other than Bounce, I think the only ones that makes sense are Aerial Ace, Fly, and Hurricane.
It can use Aerial Ace with its tail, Hurricane is consistent with how Dragon Rage looks like in the anime, and Fly....well, it is based on an asian legend about a carp turning into a flying serpent. All depictions of the legend, that I've seen at least, shows the serpent to be basically like Rayquaza, which is also based on wing-less asian dragon that can fly anyway, despite lacking wings. And yes, I know Fly is "Sky Jump", but Bounce is technically a "sky jump" as well.

Also has been mentioned before, Zangoose with Cut, as well as Garchomp with Fly.
Zangoose can learn almost any cutting move......except the "basic" one, Cut. And Cut is a Normal-Type move too....I don't get why GF still has not fix this. Or did they somehow still completely unaware of this?
Garchomp with Fly.....it has been shown repeatedly, through both the anime and the Pokedex data, that it indeed can fly, not just glide. And I don't think a dragon with an appearance like that cannot do a "sky jump".

Cresselia, with its swan-like appearance, should be able to learn Surf.

Yanmega as well as Scyther learning Fly would be great, they have the size for it, and they should also have the strength for it, also I don't think it really matters much if that means Scizor can learn it as well. Volcarona and Genesect can, adding a few more won't hurt.

Umbreon should have been able to learn Revenge....its entire premise is being a slow attacker after all. Payback and Revenge are basically the same thing, except with different type. If Umbreon can learn Payback, why it can't learn Revenge as well?

Considering how Ledian's stats are the stats for a special attacker, it's odd that most of its coverage moves are physical. GF even gives it Iron Fist as Hidden Ability.
I think, what Ledian should be able to learn, is more Special moves, especially Flying ones, which it lacks. Air Cutter would be a good one, which it indeed can learn, but only through 4th Gen Move Tutor, I say it should learn the move through level up. Quiver Dance as a stat-boosting move for it would be a good addition as well.

Jumpluff is also a Pokemon that should be able to learn more Special-based Flying moves, since it literally has none, apart from Hidden Power. It can't even learn Roost or Tailwind ._.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Not only mammalian, it should be also required to be female.
That's probably why more pokémon can't learn it. As far as I know, I don't think there's any move unavailability based on gender in Pokémon unless you count nidoran (so as long as a species can learn a move, both sexes can unless the two sexes are a different "species"). There aren't a lot of other mammilian all-female pokémon except for the vaguely reptilian nidoqueen, jynx, which would probably be kind of awkward, and kangaskhan, which doesn't have much of a reason, but maybe kangaskhan saves its milk for its baby. So unless the move was changed so that male users needed to be in the presence of a female of their species for it to work, it probably wouldn't make much sense. So it's probably simpler to just make it miltank's signature move.

Emboar's Pokédex entry from Black:
It can throw a fire punch by setting its fists on fire with its fiery chin. It cares deeply about its friends.

Yet it can only learn Fire Punch via Move Tutor. That's a little jacked up.

I think nuzleaf's has a similar case with grasswhistle. Though maybe that's because the music nuzleaf plays with its leaf apparently isn't a pleasant melody.

Samurott has his shell armor, but cannot learn shell smash. Also, his pokedex entry that he dominates others by glaring/howling, yet can't learn the moves himself...if he only had outrage
Maybe samurott would rather not damage its shell.

That would be, like, every Pokémon. :p
Poliwrath's sure got a fine set of chompers, now doesn't it? :D

I got another one. Growlithe and Arcanine should learn Lick. Didn't we see Growlie lick James at certain points in the anime? Not to mention a lot of dogs in real life like to lick people they like.
That might be because getting licked by a dog wouldn't harm anyone, but that doesn't explain why snubbull can use it.

If Gyarados should learn any Flying move other than Bounce, I think the only ones that makes sense are Aerial Ace, Fly, and Hurricane.
It can use Aerial Ace with its tail, Hurricane is consistent with how Dragon Rage looks like in the anime, and Fly....well, it is based on an asian legend about a carp turning into a flying serpent. All depictions of the legend, that I've seen at least, shows the serpent to be basically like Rayquaza, which is also based on wing-less asian dragon that can fly anyway, despite lacking wings. And yes, I know Fly is "Sky Jump", but Bounce is technically a "sky jump" as well.
Couldn't agree more on hurricane and aerial ace (shoot, there are ground types that can use that move while gyarados can't), it's possible gyarados doesn't get fly because its flying type was really mostly just to give it an exploitable weakness to de-cheapify it. I don't think it's ever actually been stated it can fly, and I don't remember it actually doing so in the anime. Then again, the doduo line's type alone appears to justify its ability to learn the move, so it might still be said that gyarados doesn't have much of a good reason not to.

Yanmega as well as Scyther learning Fly would be great, they have the size for it, and they should also have the strength for it, also I don't think it really matters much if that means Scizor can learn it as well. Volcarona and Genesect can, adding a few more won't hurt.
Maybe it's because scizor is explicitly described as not using its wings for flight. Volcorona appears to be a similar case to beedrill and venomoth, only lacking the type because it had defining features which made a different secondary type suit it, and the designers for whatever reason, didn't feel like making up for that with levitate. Scyther probably didn't get fly before that because the designers apparently decided to make it strictly unavailable to bug types before gen 5, and by then, scizor gave reason for the line not to get it.

Though that doesn't give much excuse for yanmega not getting fly in gen 5, being the flying type and larger than volcarona.

Umbreon should have been able to learn Revenge....its entire premise is being a slow attacker after all. Payback and Revenge are basically the same thing, except with different type. If Umbreon can learn Payback, why it can't learn Revenge as well?
Maybe that's because payback is umbreon's type while revenge is not? Again, shaky, but then again, payback was a TM move while I don't think revenge was ever a TM, which would mean that umbreon would either have to learn an offensive fighting type move naturally, or the not particularly suitable eevee would have to learn it through breeding just because it fit one evolved form.

...But on the other hand, it's not like there aren't normal type pokémon who can get revenge by breeding. A violent pokémon like rattata might make a little more sense getting the move than the presumably benign eevee, but then what would be patrat's explanation? I think figuring this one out would probably take more thought energy than it's worth.

InsaneStar7

Technophile Trainer
Machamp - Mach Punch. Why? Because the Pokédex says that it can fire a thousand punches in 2 seconds flat. Well, it has Bullet Punch, but only as an Egg Move.

Magiclapras

Dragon Goddess Flyder
Black Kyurem should be able to learn Ice Punch. Ice Beam is more powerful, but is a Special move. Freeze Shock is Physical move, but it's a 2-turn move, which I generally don't like using.

Zachmac

Black Kyurem should be able to learn Ice Punch. Ice Beam is more powerful, but is a Special move. Freeze Shock is Physical move, but it's a 2-turn move, which I generally don't like using.
Eh, it's usual form doesn't really have impressive arms....

Icicle Crash would make more sense.

Garchomp needs Fly. Why? It's dex entry, that's why

There's a difference between flying and attacking with Fly. I don't a LAND Shark's going to be too comfortable that high for that long.

Darenix

There's a difference between flying and attacking with Fly. I don't a LAND Shark's going to be too comfortable that high for that long.

"It flies at speeds equal to a jet fighter plane. ..."
"Its body is covered in fine scales that reduce drag, enabling it to fly at high speeds."

Don't think comfort is a problem here.

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
The Pokedex specifically says that Emboar fights with flaming punches, yet it can't learn Fire Punch.
It also says Garchomp can fly at high speeds, but it can't learn Fly.
Ampharos can't learn Tail Glow and Azurill can't learn Bounce

...andohyeahflareonneedsflareblitzokbye

Liz Azzimagica

Angelic Trainer
Personally I beleve Ninetails should know Pyschic and Celebi should be able to learn Roar of Time...also all the "electric rodents" shpuld be able to learn volt tackle because it's one sweet move