• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Moves which have been done to death in the anime

octoboy

I Crush Everything
What moves do you think are overused in the anime? In other words, which pokemon moves do you think the anime writers seem to favour using a bit too much?

One move which seems overused to me is ice beam. Though the move isn't put on too many pokemon, the sheer overuse of the move on whoever has it can get really annoying. May's squirtle is of course a big one here. It was sort of like the writers cared more about the contest battle scenes, and wanted some way of getting May a free pass to them. Then, there's buneary. Sure, buneary wasn't used much, but when it was, it was used for its ice beam. What bugs me is that buneary's got so many other cool moves to use, but the writers just insist on making it the ice pokemon. Bounce and dizzy punch are cool moves which haven't been seen much, and though pound isn't that interesting on its own, it's still kind of fun to see a rabbit slamming someone with its ears. Not only that, but I also sort of blame buneary's being given ice beam for its underusage. It's as if the writers gave it ice beam to redo squirtle, then realized that the ice appeals were getting boring, so they shelfed buneary to resist the temtation to use them.

And another move which is overused: Water gun! How many pokemon on the older main cast can you remember who had water gun as a main move? While one could say it's due to Misty's owning a team of all water types, or just from the sheer number of water types in existance, it's still a fact that the move was overused. The games also contain a large amount of water pokemon, and you don't see water gun used so much. So that means that the water pokemon don't have to sport that move, but they just do anyway. Of course, most water types in the games bear surf, and water gun is an easier move to animate because it doesn't require a large body of water, but in any case, it is still highly overused. While water gun is used less abundantly in the main pokemon (though bubble and bubblebeam usually take its place as opposed to an interesting attack), it still proves to be overused. In the berry episode, the ludicolo and golduck used nothing but water gun, despite the fact that those pokemon can't learn it by level up. This clearly shows that water gun is still highly overused.

What moves do you think are done to death in the anime? Discuss, and try to be nice about it!

PokemonHero

I can see the future
Iron Tail has been fairly overdone. How many Pokemon have we had recently that know Iron Tail appear?

coolminun

Banned
definetly thunderbolt. why must pikachu always finish TR with it??? I'd much rather see buizel aqua jet the baloon. or at least use thunder instead.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Thundershock, Thunderbolt, Water Gun, Flamethrower, Ice beam, etc.

I agree. I notice that most types (especially special types) each have a signature staple projectile move which every pokemon of their type uses.

I mean, how many things can one do with fire that are interesting? Any interesting move of fire or electric type are usually some obsceure signature move for an obsceure pokemon. There are so few electric type moves, I could count them on my two hands.

But still, why have three main electric types on the show? Pachirisu's moveset is fairly unique from pikachu's, but elekid doesn't do anything to make it interesting to watch. Its Level Up movelist is pretty plain as well.

Dattebayo

Banned
Iron Tail, Bubble Beam, Thunder Bolt, Poison Sting, Flamethrower, Wing Attack, Razor Leaf, I think that's it.

PDL

disenchanted
Double Team and Swift

But still, why have three main electric types on the show? Pachirisu's moveset is fairly unique from pikachu's, but elekid doesn't do anything to make it interesting to watch. Its Level Up movelist is pretty plain as well.

It gets Thunderpunch.

bob_starnock

I agree. I notice that most types (especially special types) each have a signature staple projectile move which every pokemon of their type uses.

you'd have thought that the special/physical split would have helped to solve this, yet still water gun is the staple move for ALL water pokemon (bar gyarados i guess, but how often is he around..)

t-bolt is always gonna b an overused move so long as ash keeps pikachu, and moves like iron tail only became overused because they made ash's pikachu learn it to freshen up the move selection. id like to see him teach pikachu a few TMs, possibly 'overwriting' (tho they don't really do this..) a few of pikachu's more stale moves.

Ryuu-Anima

Sera Kureseria
Personally, i'm sick of almost every single evolved Pokémon having freaking Hyper Beam. (I'm watching Johto again. The Ursaring episode triggered this.)
I mean, lets look at it, in the games it's an end all, unless you survive the blow, and then you get a free pass to attack next turn. but in the anime, those Ursaring and Tyranitar and whathaveyou are constantly firing off the lazors of doom.
It's just really freaking irritating.

Ryze

----
I haven't watched many episodes, but in almost all of the ones I've seen a Pokemon has used Hyper Beam..

Wobuffet fan

TR's #1 admin
Bubblebeam, Iron Tail, Bite.

Mela

pasbl. newbie
Fire: Flamethrower
Water: Water Gum
Grass: Razor Leaf & Vine Whip
Electric: Thunderb olt

and my personal favourite QUICK ATTACK !!!!!!!!!

legendarypokemonjunkie17

Back in MY day...
Shadow Ball, Iron Tail, Ice Beam, Agility, Flamethrower, Fire Spin, Water Gun, Water Pulse is getting there, Seismic Toss was usd a lot in the first season, Thundershock before Thunder and Thunderbolt, volt tackle, steel wing, Wing Attack, Aerial Ace, and pretty much every other attack used in the anime aside from Giga Impact which we've only seen like 5 times. Hyperbeam however is used so flippin often. Odds are, Hyper Beam will be used less and Giga Impact will be used more.

Last edited:

Sladazo

I haven't seen a Thundershock for a while, but my top choice for this would be Thunderbolt. Next would be Hyper Beam.

Blue Snover

Cold as ice
I'd say bubblebeam, Dawn should be trying out new attacks for her Piplup.

Kenpachi

Flawless Technique
Think about it like the games, there are moves that you use and use until you run out of PP