• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Moves which have been done to death in the anime

Indragon

Back in the USSR
Well, there are all those insanely used attacks like Quick Attack and Hyper Beam (seems like its the mark of an awesome Pokemon) but sometimes, the anime creators go crazy on some random attack - there was this time in Hoenn iirc, when 90% of the pokemon had Focus Punch on. I mean, things dusclops and ludicolo were spamming it like hell and then came a time when everyone learnt iron tail somehow.

of course, thunderbolt has been done to death, but one might as well get used to it, seeing that Pikachu's not going anywhere

VoltTacklingPika

There are only two decent alternatives to Thunderbolt, in terms of power, and they are Discharge and Thunder. Unfortunately, they all look the same so you might as well stick with Thunderbolt.

You know, I've noticed that they've gotten lazy on Aerial Ace. Before, when Swellow was using it, the Pokemon using it dissapeared and attack from any angle in a blink of an eye - making the attack practically unavoidable. They hardly do that now and Aerial Ace now looks like a glorified take down.

Some of the avoiding in the anime does seem strange. If you compare the speeds of Machoke and Staravia, Staravia wins hands down yet somehow Maylenne's Machoke could duck out of the way of Staravia's Aerial Ace.

At least I like how Quick Attack is used, especially Ash's Quick Attack-Aerial Ace combo.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Dodging-I'm sick of it!

TheBuddyBud

"Pikachu! Jump up and SPIN!"
"Buneary! Jump up and SPIN!"
"Piplup! Jump up and do a double 360 barrel roll somersault flip!

Yeah, this command sucks and I hope they stop animating this

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
personally, I'm surprised that Satoshi integrating Hikari's Contest techniques into his own battling didn't end up being some horribly short-used gimmick.

VoltTacklingPika

Well at least the spin is better than the old generic 'dodge' and 'jump' that people seem to be generally sick of.

The whole spin tactic even has scientific reasoning behind it - makes things a bit more interesting, I guess.

Starlight Aurate

Just a fallen star
I was getting tired of so many pokemon use shadow ball, even if it is a very cool move. But when moves get used over and over again, it just gets boring. Like the first time u would see a thundershock, you'd go like "WOW!" but now it doesn't really show much... excitment I guess. They ought to show different cool moves more, like Sky attack. That would be pretty cool.

Andywoo

Banned
"Pikachu! Jump up and SPIN!"
"Buneary! Jump up and SPIN!"
"Piplup! Jump up and do a double 360 barrel roll somersault flip!

Yeah, this command sucks and I hope they stop animating this

Worst-Idea-Ever. I hope someone was someone was fired for that brain-fart.

Back in early Hoenn EVERYTHING knew Iron Tail. I don't beleive though that Hyper Beam is used as much as people say.

Worst-Idea-EVER (Written for second time to show my DISGUST at writers. I hate them so much)

Last edited:

Grei

not the color
Thunderbolt. And Iron Tail. ;_;

Basically anything that Pikachu knows, along with Water Gun, Razor Leaf, and Flamethrower.

Grei

not the color
Thunderbolt. And Iron Tail. ;_;

Basically anything that Pikachu knows, along with Water Gun, Razor Leaf, and Flamethrower.

Harkett

whatisthisidonteven
Smog in Kanto...

Did James not use that move every single episode?

Same with Thunder[bolt].

And Vine Whip!

And what about Peck (Or whatever the hell that stupid move is where Satoshi tells his current Parapokemon of the week to pop Team Rocket's balloon)?

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Smog in Kanto...

Did James not use that move every single episode?

It was only weezing who did that. At least we got a breath of fresh air in Hoenn (in this case, quite literally) until seviper learned haze later on.

But really, what else can a weightless pair of toxic heads do? Weezing's only other move was sludge, and that was grimer's move (though the writers would have had better reason to use this had they actually used muk!).

mikau12

Double Team

How many times have we seen the opponent use Double Team, and then circle around Ash's pokemon, and then the Pokemon looks around like an idiot and Ash says, "Which is the real one?" I crack up every time that happens.

And Water Gun. That seems to be used by just about every Water Pokemon, probably because it's easiest to animate. But what I really hate is when Ash teams up with someone, and they are both using Water types, and then they use Water Gun at the same time and say "Double Water Gun attack!"

octoboy

I Crush Everything
When you look at how aipom does it, you'll see why the pokemon looks around like an idiot. When an attack's heading straight for aipom and she uses double team, the attack hits what looks like it should be the original aipom, and it vanishes. The real pokemon could be anywhere.