• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Moves which have yet to be showcased in the Animé

inkaybee

I still hope, now that we know that Frogadier learns Aerial Ace, sun a common Ash move, that they give it something unique in Water Pledge at some point.

if it's animated similar to Ash's Pignite's Fire Pledge, it actually kind of looks like a surprise move, coming out of the ground, kind of ninja like in a way.

blob

i didn't remember either being used until it was brought up here, so both need to be shown, either for the first time, or for a second go around.

Pain Split hasn't been used though...

I think more PotD should have new moves.

Sprinter1988

Pain Split hasn't been used though...

I think more PotD should have new moves.

The problem there once again is how formulaic the anime is - attacks for the most part vary little and by now you can usually make a very good guess as to what a pokemon will know based on their type.

Odds are that a fire type will know Flamethrower, a water type will know Water Gun or Hydro Pump, an ice type will usually know Ice Beam, an electric type will know Thunder/shock/bolt, a grass type will know Vine Whip or Razor Leaf, a flying type usually has Aerial Ace and if something can learn Quick Attack, about 80% of them will.
The only real way that new moves ever get showcased is when main or reoccurring pokemon learn then, other than that its very rare.

inkaybee

The problem there once again is how formulaic the anime is - attacks for the most part vary little and by now you can usually make a very good guess as to what a pokemon will know based on their type.

Odds are that a fire type will know Flamethrower, a water type will know Water Gun or Hydro Pump, an ice type will usually know Ice Beam, an electric type will know Thunder/shock/bolt, a grass type will know Vine Whip or Razor Leaf, a flying type usually has Aerial Ace and if something can learn Quick Attack, about 80% of them will.
The only real way that new moves ever get showcased is when main or reoccurring pokemon learn then, other than that its very rare.

i feel it's more common then you realize, for trainers outside the main group showing different moves. rarely are said moves new, but they're not quite as constantly predictable.

Sprinter1988

i feel it's more common then you realize, for trainers outside the main group showing different moves. rarely are said moves new, but they're not quite as constantly predictable.

Name me one fire type other than Gary's Arcanine and Blaine's Ninetales that didn't use Flamethrower.

blob

a flying type usually has Aerial Ace and if something can learn Quick Attack, about 80% of them will.

Flying types are more likely to learn Wing Attack actually.

Captain America X

Fair enough. But that's not enough to change my original point that most fire types will have Flamethrower etc.

BTW
yet another pokemon has just learned Aerial Ace
Yeah I agree with you.Although for the spoiler it was the best type coverage move they could give him and is also based on his theme so it fit compared to the other two possible options.

MattySadler

still, it's weird one episode can ruin a whole Pokemon line as long as Porygon.

I agree. The exclusion of the Porygon line has always annoyed me a bit. When Pokemon Red and Blue first came out in the UK, there were many aspects of the games which caused competition amongst my school friends and I. The main example was us trying to "catch them all", but this challenge in itself created a number of smaller challenges. For example, we all spent ages in the Safari Zone trying to be the first to catch a Scyther/ Pinsir, a Tauros, a Chansey, a Dratini and a Kangaskahn. One such aspect which created a challenge was obtaining a Porygon, spending ages in the Game Corner trying to get enough coins to earn one. Porygon has always been one of my favourite Pokemon. I wish I could say one day the anime might give the Porygon line another chance, but they steer so far away from controversy it'll probably never happen.

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
I agree. The exclusion of the Porygon line has always annoyed me a bit. When Pokemon Red and Blue first came out in the UK, there were many aspects of the games which caused competition amongst my school friends and I. The main example was us trying to "catch them all", but this challenge in itself created a number of smaller challenges. For example, we all spent ages in the Safari Zone trying to be the first to catch a Scyther/ Pinsir, a Tauros, a Chansey, a Dratini and a Kangaskahn. One such aspect which created a challenge was obtaining a Porygon, spending ages in the Game Corner trying to get enough coins to earn one. Porygon has always been one of my favourite Pokemon. I wish I could say one day the anime might give the Porygon line another chance, but they steer so far away from controversy it'll probably never happen.
Mind if I sig this?

Anyhow, I just checked the list again, and I'd kind of like to see a Chatot use Chatter in some weird filler, even though I'm not active on the anime.

blob

Anyhow, I just checked the list again, and I'd kind of like to see a Chatot use Chatter in some weird filler, even though I'm not active on the anime.

A lot of signature moves haven't been shown yet. Though, at least Water Shuriken made an appearance this week. It's the first new move shown in the main series Animé, since Ash got his Hawlucha!
Then again, I guess it's easier to recycle a move in a Movie, than make a brand new animation or recolour Energy/Shadow Ball.

Last edited:

Sprinter1988

Yeah I agree with you.Although for the spoiler it was the best type coverage move they could give him and is also based on his theme so it fit compared to the other two possible options.

Shame really. I'd have loved to have seen it with Acrobatics instead, just to make give it something different from Swellow, Staraptor, Quilava, Unfezant and Krookodile.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Shame really. I'd have loved to have seen it with Acrobatics instead, just to make give it something different from Swellow, Staraptor, Quilava, Unfezant and Krookodile.
Does it matter if its the same move? It uses it in a completely different manner than the aforementioned 5 so I don't see why that's an issue. I'd have preferred Acrobatics too but I'm not angry that Frogadier has it considering he utilizes it in hos own unique manner.

Sprinter1988

Does it matter if its the same move? It uses it in a completely different manner than the aforementioned 5 so I don't see why that's an issue. I'd have preferred Acrobatics too but I'm not angry that Frogadier has it considering he utilizes it in hos own unique manner.

It doesn't necessarily matter, but this thread is about discussing moves that have not appeared in the anime. Now, while Acrobatics has indeed appeared, it happened once. The reappearance of Aerial Ace again goes towards proving my original point -so many town es have never appeared in the anime (or rarely appear) because the same moves are given out over and over again - Aerial Ace, Quick Attack, Flamethrower, Thunder/bolt, Water Gun, Ice Beam, Razor Leaf and Vine Whip.

MattySadler

Mind if I sig this?

Yeah, sure!

blob

The reappearance of Aerial Ace again goes towards proving my original point -so many town es have never appeared in the anime (or rarely appear) because the same moves are given out over and over again - Aerial Ace, Quick Attack, Flamethrower, Thunder/bolt, Water Gun, Ice Beam, Razor Leaf and Vine Whip.

Most known by at least five of Ash's Pokémon:
Tackle - Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Charizard, Snorlax, Heracross, Bayleef, Quilava, Noctowl, Donphan, Torterra, Oshawott, Pignite and Leavanny
Quick Attack - Pikachu, Quilava, Swellow, Sceptile, Staraptor and Unfezant
Aerial Ace - Quilava, Swellow, Staraptor, Unfezant, Krookodile and Frogadier
Leer - Pikachu, Charizard, Kingler, Heracross and Scraggy
Double Team - Tauros, Swellow, Glalie, Frogadier and Fletchinder
Take Down - Bulbasaur, Charizard, Tauros, Heracross and Donphan
Flamethrower - Charizard, Quilava, Torkoal, Infernape and Pignite
Headbutt - Snorlax, Bayleef, Totodile, Glalie and Scraggy

The rest of the moves you listed are known by four or less of Ash's Pokémon:
Thunderbolt is only known by Pikachu.
Water Gun by Kingler, Totodile, Buizel and Oshawott.
Ice Beam is only known by Glalie.
Razor Leaf by Bulbasaur, Bayleef, Torterra and Leavanny.
Vine Whip by Bulbasaur, Bayleef and Snivy.

I'm excluding Pokémon not with Ash or at Oak's.

Sprinter1988

Most known by at least five of Ash's Pokémon:
Tackle - Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Charizard, Snorlax, Heracross, Bayleef, Quilava, Noctowl, Donphan, Torterra, Oshawott, Pignite and Leavanny
Quick Attack - Pikachu, Quilava, Swellow, Sceptile, Staraptor and Unfezant
Aerial Ace - Quilava, Swellow, Staraptor, Unfezant, Krookodile and Frogadier
Leer - Pikachu, Charizard, Kingler, Heracross and Scraggy
Double Team - Tauros, Swellow, Glalie, Frogadier and Fletchinder
Take Down - Bulbasaur, Charizard, Tauros, Heracross and Donphan
Flamethrower - Charizard, Quilava, Torkoal, Infernape and Pignite
Headbutt - Snorlax, Bayleef, Totodile, Glalie and Scraggy

The rest of the moves you listed are known by four or less of Ash's Pokémon:
Thunderbolt is only known by Pikachu.
Water Gun by Kingler, Totodile, Buizel and Oshawott.
Ice Beam is only known by Glalie.
Razor Leaf by Bulbasaur, Bayleef, Torterra and Leavanny.
Vine Whip by Bulbasaur, Bayleef and Snivy.

I'm excluding Pokémon not with Ash or at Oak's.

But its not just Ash's pokemon that we're talking about. My point was that if a pokemon appearing in the anime knows a move of a type, odds are that it will be a particular move. Pokemon like Ash's Snorlax or Buizel knowing Ice Punch or May's Skitty knowing Blizzard are the exception, not the rule. Most of the time an ice type move will be Ice Beam - Ash's Glalie and Lapras, Dawn's Piplup and Buneary, May's Glaceon and Wartortle, Cynthia's Glaceon, Noland's Articuno, Brandon's Regice, Tobias' Darkrai, Misty' Luvdisc, Daisy's Dewgong, Iris' Dragonite, Georgia's Beartic, Paul's Weavile, Gastrodon and Froslass, Virgil's Glaceon, Drew's Masquerain, Candice's Snover, Pryce's Dewgong, Lapras, Seel and Shellder, Trip's Vanillite, Alexa's Surskit, the list goes on. The same goes for Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Water Gun, Shadow Ball, Quick Attack, Aerial Ace, Razor Leaf, Vine Whip and Dig.