• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Moves which have yet to be showcased in the Animé

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
Yeah this thread could still be useful in the new series though maybe they are waiting for the next series to be released?

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
@Lord Starfish thoughts? Your subs wrote it as Sneak Attack, which translates to Feint Attack.
We stopped adhering to the official English names for every attack starting with PM19. Simply because there have been more than a few instances of that causing trouble in the past, such as with the 10,000,000 Volts Z-Move, which is overtly identified as just amping up the voltage from the regular 100,000 Volts attack, which required some writing around when we referred to said attack as Thunderbolt. Also: Every single Kukui pun involving Quick Attack, or a scene in Mewtwo Strikes Back where Mewtwo sends Umio flying into a fountain and Umio identifies the move as... Confusion. Which makes a lot more sense with the literal translation of that move just being Mindpower.

So yeah. We were fully aware that that move is generally known as Sucker Punch... But see... In that case, it wasn't a punch. Though for what it's worth, I was not entirely against just leaving it as Sucker Punch anyway, thinking it still works in a more figurative sense... but ultimately I was outvoted on that one.

pancakemonster

Alola...home...
We stopped adhering to the official English names for every attack starting with PM19. Simply because there have been more than a few instances of that causing trouble in the past, such as with the 10,000,000 Volts Z-Move, which is overtly identified as just amping up the voltage from the regular 100,000 Volts attack, which required some writing around when we referred to said attack as Thunderbolt. Also: Every single Kukui pun involving Quick Attack, or a scene in Mewtwo Strikes Back where Mewtwo sends Umio flying into a fountain and Umio identifies the move as... Confusion. Which makes a lot more sense with the literal translation of that move just being Mindpower.

So yeah. We were fully aware that that move is generally known as Sucker Punch... But see... In that case, it wasn't a punch. Though for what it's worth, I was not entirely against just leaving it as Sucker Punch anyway, thinking it still works in a more figurative sense... but ultimately I was outvoted on that one.
Wouldn't that still mean it should be Surprise Attack in this case?

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Wouldn't that still mean it should be Surprise Attack in this case?
We are not bound to the literal translations Bulbapedia chose to go for. We won't use direct TLs that also happen to be just the name of a different move in English (Like, for the previously mentioned Confusion/Mindpower thing, "Telekinesis" was suggested and we rejected that because that is, in itself, a move name), but what Bulbapedia puts as the direct TL of a Japanese move named something else in the English version? There is no reason for us to adhere to that. And, for the record... Feint Attack is probably gonna stay as Feint Attack.

pancakemonster

Alola...home...
We are not bound to the literal translations Bulbapedia chose to go for. We won't use direct TLs that also happen to be just the name of a different move in English (Like, for the previously mentioned Confusion/Mindpower thing, "Telekinesis" was suggested and we rejected that because that is, in itself, a move name), but what Bulbapedia puts as the direct TL of a Japanese move named something else in the English version? There is no reason for us to adhere to that. And, for the record... Feint Attack is probably gonna stay as Feint Attack.
I hear you, but in this case, aren't people going to look up the move "Sneak Attack", see that's "Feint Attack" on Bulbapedia, and assume it's a completely different move from what's actually used? I know Bulbapedia isn't the be-all end-all of resources, but most people don't know these move's names in Japanese, so anyone who tries to look it up is gonna be confused. Maybe putting the English translation of the moves in parentheses could help, but obviously they're your subs and you can do whatever you want.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
I hear you, but in this case, aren't people going to look up the move "Sneak Attack", see that's "Feint Attack" on Bulbapedia, and assume it's a completely different move from what's actually used? I know Bulbapedia isn't the be-all end-all of resources, but most people don't know these move's names in Japanese, so anyone who tries to look it up is gonna be confused. Maybe putting the English translation of the moves in parentheses could help, but obviously they're your subs and you can do whatever you want.
Well to that I can just make a response I've had surprisingly few chances to actually make:
It is literally impossible to make a translation that will satisfy everyone. No matter what creative choices we do or do not make, someone will disagree with them. So all we can really do is what we personally feel is best. And, in this case, that was translating Fuiuchi as Sneak Attack.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Well to that I can just make a response I've had surprisingly few chances to actually make:
It is literally impossible to make a translation that will satisfy everyone. No matter what creative choices we do or do not make, someone will disagree with them. So all we can really do is what we personally feel is best. And, in this case, that was translating Fuiuchi as Sneak Attack.
I'd have voted to keep it as Sucker Punch, as that phrase does have slightly different connotations that I will edit in later when I figure out how to best describe them.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
It must be sucker punch considering we saw gain attack used twice in sun and moon it it looked way different.

pancakemonster

Alola...home...
A serious question then: In a case like this, how are people realistically going to know what moves are actually being used? Translating is as Sneak Attack is adding 2 layers of abstraction to what an English-speaking audience is going to know, and I certainly never would have realized the difference if it weren't for this very discussion. I feel like the vast majority of people do care about knowing what moves certain Pokemon are using.

And I just want to say I'm not trying to give you a hard time for the sake of it, I've been watching your subs since they started and they were a godsend for the community. I'm just genuinely concerned if there's going to be more cases like this in the future where I'll have to take the move names with a grain of salt.