• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

movesets for my butterfree and vileplume

golduck#1

hey....... i was just wondering if you guys could give me advice on my butterfree and vileplume.

first off is butter free: timid nature (what iv's should i get spd and sp att?)
toxic
sleep powder
stun spore
psychic

is that any good? any suggestions

and for vilplume i dont no what nature i should have should it be +sp def or +sp att. i dont really no much about vilplume aso advice would be good. thanks

Dresden

Pokémon Master
My advice is not to use a Butterfree. That and Beedrill just aren't worth it past like level 30. Try a Venomoth; it's basically the same thing as Butterfree moveset wise, except better and with better stats.

As for Vileplume, dunno, never used one my own self.

Yeah, Butterfree will start to become useless very quickly. If you do insist on using it though, I would definitely get rid of Toxic and Stun Spore. Sleep Powder + Solarbeam might work, I've never tried it before, I would imagine it's pretty risky though. You don't need three status moves in-game. You might want to stow it in the PC until after you've finished with the Elite four and then train it later with the Exp Share.

In fact, now that I think about it, you should probably replace Butterfree with the Vileplume, since it is better in every way. A good moveset would have to be:
-Sunny Day
-Solarbeam
-Moonlight
-Sludge Bomb/Sleep Powder/Hidden Power Fire
This is the same set I'm using on a Sunflora, with Hidden Power Fire and Leech Seed in place of Moonlight. It works well because of their Chlorophyll ability. They'll usually star out second, but the speed boost from Sunny Day usually allows them to go next, and it happens to benefit all or most of the attacks.

The nature depends on a couple of things. If you're using Sludge Bomb, use Quirky/Hardy/Bashful/Serious/Docile. Otherwise, use Bold/Modest/Calm/Timid.

Pokemon Trainer 619

Pokemon Trainer 619
I have a butterfree and it helps alot.
it should have:
-Sleep Powder
-Psychic
-Toxic
-Dream Eater/Solarbeam

dont worry about low accuracy. CompoundEyes helps alot

griffins_guardian

GuardianofKnowledge;
For Butterfree, maybe you could try:

- Sunny Day
- Solar Beam
- Sleep Powder
- Dream Eater

Bug Buzz is also a useful attack on a Butterfree, IMO.

Dresden

Pokémon Master
Bug Buzz isn't in 3rd gen.

And Yo Shee, wouldn't Sunny Day make Moonlight less effective? Or did Game Freak not go that much into details?

Sunny Day actually makes Moonlight more effective, whereas Rain Dance lowers its power. They wouldn't make another weather move like Dark Night or something just to benefit one attack, so they put it with Sunny Day.

Dresden

Pokémon Master
Eh, makes sense I guess. Still seems odd though. Not many Pokemon would A) Have access to Moonlight AND B) Have any benefit from Sunny Day apart from Moonlight, so it's not something I see that often. In fact, I'm pretty sure Vileplume/Bellossom are the only ones.

Xtra

You will be missed:(
Some pokemon have Synthesis, which works in a similar way.

Dresden

Pokémon Master
Yeah, I was actually confused when they added Morning Sun. Seems like the exact same thing as Synthesis. Does anything besides Espeon even learn Morning Sun though?

golduck#1

hey thanks the only reason i thought butterfree would be good is so i can catch pokemon but my pokedex is 320 so really is no point. looks like vileplume can dominate for me

thanks again

shpuld i use hericross insted???

Heracross is a completely different pokemon, I'm not sure why he should be compared to Vileplume and Butterfree, but if you want to use one, here's a moveset:
Heracross
Adamant/Impish/Careful nature
-Megahorn
-Brick Break/Reversal
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake/Rock Slide/Aerial Ace/Filler move
It is very scary to be up against this thing. After one Swords Dance, almost nothing will be able to stand up to these moves... that is, unless Megahorn misses. Reversal is riskier to use than Brick Break since it only works well at low HP.

golduck#1

yea thanks. i didn't wont to comare them looks like a hericross and vilplume day for me. alot of training will be need. thank you

torchic_lover

buterfree rocks! first of all it learns a lot of tms, like mine has
solar beam
sleep powder
psybeam
physic

buterfree is awsome

golduck#1

why would you teach a butter free solerbeam adn have 2 physic moves on one pokemon

Dresden

Pokémon Master
why would you teach a butter free solerbeam adn have 2 physic moves on one pokemon

Because she for some reason thinks that Butterfree is 1) a good Pokemon and 2) Grass/Psychic. When in fact:

1.) Butterfree SUCKS.
2.) It is bug/flying

Simple as that.

golduck#1

yea infact it does suck after mt moon. lol why would she think it's grass and psychic

Dresden

Pokémon Master
I ALREADY USED THE TM ON BUTERFREE, WHO IS AN AWSOME POKEMON. SHE IS A GRASS AND PHYSIC MASTER. ALSO, I HAVE JYNX FOR THE ICE TYPE, NOT PHYSIC, THAT'S WHY I HAVE BUTTERFREE

Need I say more?