• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Movie 16 - ExtremeSpeed Genesect & The Awakening of Mewtwo - FIRST DETAILS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
What if they change the voice of mewtwo? That happens a lot in movies!...
This is essentially a character going from sounding like one gender to the other. Not something you can expect people to ignore.

I don't really buy that. Does that mean a pokemon like magnemite or klink has a gender that is just unknown, when they are just magnets and gears?
OK, let me rephrase that:

From what I read around the internet, "genderless" in Pokémon means "gender unknown", NOT "gender doesn't exist", unless the Pokémon in question is mechanical/robotic.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I find it hard to imagine they would go against everything the normal anime writers would do in the show.

Imo, the anime writers are incredibly inconsistent so it wouldn't surprise me if the movie writing staff were just as inconsistent tbh. Different sides of the same coin.

This is essentially a character going from sounding like one gender to the other. Not something you can expect people to ignore.

Yet apparently we're supposed to. I'm willing to bet my limited edition autographed Oshawott figurine collection that the movie won't bother explaining Mewtwo's new voice. Smh.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
If Mewtwo is going to be voiced by a woman in the japanese dub will it also be the same for the english dub?

I think that that is possibly worrying a lot of people on this thread right now. I know that that very same question popped into my mind when I heard Mewtwo's new voice, especially knowing that his original English voice actors are either passed on or have other events going on right now that will likely preclude him from voicing Mewtwo in this movie.

I think that that is possibly worrying a lot of people on this thread right now. I know that that very same question popped into my mind when I heard Mewtwo's new voice, especially knowing that his original English voice actors are either passed on or have other events going on right now that will likely preclude him from voicing Mewtwo in this movie.

Japanese voices tend to be better, since they're the original choice of the anime writers, or so it would appear. I'm thinking Arceus here. It's so OBVIOUS Morgan Freeman should have done HIS voice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
Considering how TPCi is basically trying to be as accurate as the original subbed version... at this point it wouldn't surprise me if Mewtwo was dubbed more feminine like :|

alakazam^

From what I read around the internet, "genderless" in Pokémon means "gender unknown", NOT "gender doesn't exist", unless the Pokémon in question is mechanical/robotic.

Where did you read that? "Genderless" means "no gender", not that it's unknown. It's not a big stretch to think they have no gender.

Also, it's easy to miss this if one doesn't know Japanese but this Mewtwo has a way of speaking different than the Mewtwo we know. I'm not saying they aren't the same individual, but one talks politely and the other doesn't.

Don't Japanese VAs have a bit too much control over the anime?
Not really, they just act the text they are given. The most they could do is make a suggestion to the director but nothing more than that.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Also, it's easy to miss this if one doesn't know Japanese but this Mewtwo has a way of speaking different than the Mewtwo we know. I'm not saying they aren't the same individual, but one talks politely and the other doesn't.

Or could it be that its speech is just another way it grew up from what it used to be?

It's my understanding that it even introduces itself with the same terms it used originally.

alakazam^

Or could it be that its speech is just another way it grew up from what it used to be?

It's my understanding that it even introduces itself with the same terms it used originally.
You mean in the manga? That doesn't give any hints. The difference is in the formal tone he now uses. In the first movie he wasn't rude or used a basic vocabulary, he just spoke informally. From what he said in the new trailer and that scan of the manga, it doesn't seem he improved his vocabulary but he upped the formality a notch.

Also, in that scan, he doesn't seem to know or care about Satoshi, he just wanted to protect Pikachu and Kibago. Can't really remember but I think "old" Mewtwo had a bit of interest in him in the TV special.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Also, in that scan, he doesn't seem to know or care about Satoshi, he just wanted to protect Pikachu and Kibago. Can't really remember but I think "old" Mewtwo had a bit of interest in him in the TV special.

I don't think his interest in Ash went beyond surprise about seeing him at Mt. Quena and his musings about fate.

alakazam^

Oh, I see. Couldn't remember how their interaction went.

Haunter ゴースト

Actually, as far as the dub goes in the special( the jap version is likely to be the same) Mewtwo was interested in Ash.

He was surprised at how Ash was unique. Ash proved some humans are nice in the world, Mewtwo noticed this in Movie 1 and was reassured in the special as Ash helped carry him and called him one of a kind, a unique human.

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
Actually, as far as the dub goes in the special( the jap version is likely to be the same) Mewtwo was interested in Ash.

He was surprised at how Ash was unique. Ash proved some humans are nice in the world, Mewtwo noticed this in Movie 1 and was reassured in the special as Ash helped carry him and called him one of a kind, a unique human.

That. Ash's sacrifice play hit Mewtwo so hard because it called him out on his question of self-worth. Mewtwo's whole line was "I have no place in this world, I was built to break it. All that leaves me with is to justify my clone existence by proving clones are better; remake how the world works around them." Then this ten year old boy has the gall to nearly get himself killed just to get Mewtwo to call off his attack, knowing full well it probably won't work, but is so offended by the bloodsport that he can't sit still. Mewtwo's "Circumstances of one's birth" line in the dub translates to "If a stupid, disposable, replaceable, and weak little kid little kid- someone who is really as lost and unformed in the world as I am- can drum up the will to make the ultimate sacrifice for something he believe in, what is really keeping me from finding a home and living as I want to?"

On the surface it's contrived as all heck, but in actuality really it shows that despite rewriting almost the entire script, 4kids actually did get the message of the movie. I haven't seen the full movie in Japanese either, ShoPro has made that basically impossible, but that sounds exactly like the sort of ending the pseudo-philosophical story Japanese-version fans keep hyping up would come to.

Back on topic, so I was on GameFaqs and someone posted this.

http://pokemonxy.jp/news/20130420/new_mewtwo.html

Naturally I can only run it through website translators, which often don't rearrange words to make sense in English, but this is making it sound like Mewtwo's voice is different because it's another Mewtwo.

Which just sounds too ridiculous to be true; OLM can't do the Charizard flashback sequence- going back to over decade-old stories that aired before a of their current audience was even born- and then toss out one of the few characters in the series to actually change. Dogasu's rundown of the first chapter of the manga adaptation (http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/), scroll down to the April 18th entry, doesn't help matters either.

Again, we'll see. It isn't like axing out the first movie's story was ever entirely off the table anyway, and its story is long over anyway.

Last edited:

alakazam^

It does certainly say it isn't the same Mewtwo. However, the director says movie 1 Mewtwo had the theme of "Who am I?" and the movie revolved around that, while this Mewtwo has the image of going out to the world, seeing and learning new things. I'm afraid people will now speculate whether that means they are in fact different Mewtwo or different "evolved" phases of the same one.

I think it's more probable that this Mewtwo is treated as a different one because of the different voice actor.

Acdog

I think it's more probable that this Mewtwo is treated as a different one because of the different voice actor.

You mean treated that way by the fans or by the characters of the movie themselves? There is only one Mewtwo in existence.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
So it's confirmed that Mewtwo's seiyuu is a woman huh? I thought there could be a [slight] chance that said seiyuu was just a man with a feminine voice, but I guess not. It's really looking as if this is a different Mewtwo than the one from the first movie. I know it's not really logical, but then again it seems that logic doesn't exist in the anime lol. But seriously, I'm going to assume that this Mewtwo is "new."

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
It does certainly say it isn't the same Mewtwo. However, the director says movie 1 Mewtwo had the theme of "Who am I?" and the movie revolved around that, while this Mewtwo has the image of going out to the world, seeing and learning new things. I'm afraid people will now speculate whether that means they are in fact different Mewtwo or different "evolved" phases of the same one.

I hadn't thought about it that. That it might be Mewtwo in another mindset.

Really I'm just wondering how the logistics of a second Mewtwo would work, since Dogasu's summary has Mewtwo mentioning he was created by humans when we know Giovanni's memory of his existence was wiped.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
That is the exact same quote that Dogasu has had posted forever. We were even discussing it not too long ago.

It says "This is not the same Mewtwo" but then immediately states "this Mewtwo has gone out into the world and overcome its limitations." A new Mewtwo would never have had the limitations the first Mewtwo had. The context of the entire quote makes it quite clear the limitations spoken of are Mewtwo's questions regarding his identity and place in the world.

Regarding his interest in Ash: thank you for refreshing my memory, but it still doesn't make much difference. There's no need for him to obsess over Ash anymore since that ground has been covered, not to mention that once again it may be a liberty the adaptation is taking. There's also the matter of the trailer, which still has Ash immediately recognizing Mewtwo by name - usually when trailers depict a first encounter Ash has with a Pokémon, he addresses it with vague language. This one explictly shows a scene of the moment of Mewtwo's arrival and Ash immediately recognizing him by name, which is an unusal circumstance even if the movie itself uses a different version of the scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.