• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Movie 16 - ExtremeSpeed Genesect & The Awakening of Mewtwo - FIRST DETAILS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dman_dustin

Unless I'm grossly misunderstanding this tweet, the Mewtwo in this movie is "definitely not the same" as the original one.

Another tweet says that the Forme uses a move called "The World". There aren't really any other spoilers.

I don't know, I want to wait on a translation of that tweet.

Ash&Pikachu-Fan

Pika-Speed
I think so, they seem to have been posting merchandise from the movie and a screenshot of them recieving the Genesect.

Oh, I see. Well, hopefully someone could translate that correctly but it still seems like it is what it implies. Hm, the other info seems really cool though so I'm not sure what to think..

Kein

AKA Silktree
Oh, I hope not. It sounds like it says "another solid proof it is the same Mewtwo from M1" but yeah, it does sound like it isn't too. I'm not sure how to read that, how reliable is that source anyway?
The literal translation is that it is a "solid another". There are no words there for "proof" or "same".

Ash&Pikachu-Fan

Pika-Speed
The literal translation is that it is a "solid another". There are no words there for "proof" or "same".

Yeah, I know but that was just my interpretation on it. I wasn't translating it, my bad though.

I'm fine if it is another Mewtwo, it wasn't never stated not to be, still a bit silly.

Ash&Pikachu-Fan

Pika-Speed
It's very silly in my opinion, and it doesn't seem that the movie makes up for it.

It feels really pointless, especially after all that hype and build up led to the movie. Mainly for the Japanese audience, unless it were only to get them familiar to Mewtwo.

Kein

AKA Silktree
Someone tweeted Nanamaru in English and asked a few questions, so we have some more definitive answers (just bear in mind that Nanamaru used an online translator):

Satoshi not talk about 1st Mewtwo.
New Mewtwo is another individual.
He meets a New Mewtwo by chance.

Regarding the creators of the new Mewtwo:

Reference is not made. And it is not told whether Team Rocket made it.

Last edited:

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
So it isn't the same Mewtwo.

Well that's a big black mark against the film and the writers in my books.

Kein

AKA Silktree
Well that's a big black mark against the film and the writers in my books.
They didn't even reference the creators of this Mewtwo. The prologue might answer that question, but is that even important if it's inconsequential to the movie's plot?

Virgil134

PMD Writer
Someone tweeted Nanamaru in English and asked a few questions, so we have some more definitive answers (just bear in mind that Nanamaru used an online translator):

I guess there is no way around it now. I still had some silent hope after seeing that scene similar to Mewtwo's creation in the first movie, but it's definite now. We're dealing with a new, yet very similar Mewtwo :/

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
It still makes no sense for more than one Mewtwo to exist. The existance of another, regardless if they explain who/how it was made, practically undoes the first Mewtwo's "I am the only one of my kind" character.

And furthermore, it makes the movie less special. We thought we would see the return of Pokémon's most complex character, but instead we're getting some newbie who just happens to share his name and appearance. If they were going to make older fans enjoy this, then they've kind of fallen at the first few hurdles, havent they?

Kein

AKA Silktree
If anyone even cares, N and the Unova rivals appear in the credits. The original Mewtwo doesn't even appear for that, so anyone who thought that the purpose of a female Mewtwo was to be Mewtwo's companion, was wrong. That's probably a good thing.

Also, no one dies.

Kein

AKA Silktree
Did Nanamaru tweet this as well?
Yes. There is no other source at this point.

I also asked them about the Forme. It can indeed travel to outer space, and while I was wrong about the name of the move (apparently it wasn't named, much like the Forme itself), what Nanamaru meant was that the Forme is similar to a character called The World. Like that character, the Forme can temporarily stop time:

Nanamaru said:
Although it has not stopped completely, it is close to the state where the time is stopped, infinite.

Last edited:

Steelia

forever.

tumblr_lmlt1hFwXw1qiwzw0.png

I now feel much more comfortable with the new Mewtwo voice. It seems pretty fitting, with the way this more feminine Mewtwo acts & even looks. It was a softer version of him(?). While yes, it does undermine 1st Mewtwo's significance as one-of-a-kind, at least they didn't completely screw up his character with the voice change and random forme transformation that wasn't even necessary.

If they were going to make older fans enjoy this, then they've kind of fallen at the first few hurdles, havent they?

Falling for the old bait-and-switch!
If you've noticed the quality of the movies lately, they're all about the audience of today, and marketing new formes/Pokemon via milking movies and specials. The first red flag should've been the reintroduction of Charizard in the anime; he was brought back, but they aren't doing anything special with him at all. Likewise, they used Mewtwo's likeliness here as an obvious pull, but refused to acknowledge it was a separate individual. In this case, it's all about bringing back familiar characters as a means to regain exposure. It's a shady way of doing it, but it obviously worked - using the popularity of those Pkmn to their advantage.
"Oh Charizard/Mewtwo, I remember him! Maybe I should check this out now."

So yeah. It's stupid. But I'm still content they didn't mess up the character of the 1st Mewtwo. Maybe they can have a crossover someday of 1st Mewtwo and this new Mewtwo!
Said no Pokemon movie writer ever.

Really. What did you expect from these writers? Everything they've done has been fairly predictable. Bring back an old familiar face to strengthen his character? Or make a completely new one from the ground up to cash in on the name?

Last edited:

diakyu

Well at least some people will be happy that they're old mewtwo isn't being ruined by the new form. But now I'm very interested about the form's power to slow down time.

Royal_Qeca

Pokémon Blue
Well at least some people will be happy that they're old mewtwo isn't being ruined by the new form. But now I'm very interested about the form's power to slow down time.

It slows down time? Isn't that just a cinematic effect to show that this Mewtwo is in fact really quick?

diakyu

It slows down time? Isn't that just a cinematic effect to show that this Mewtwo is in fact really quick?
Ehhh, this would make more sense. Slowing down time seems pretty random.

Honeyichigo

The manliest
Newtwo confirmed? I am totally okay with this. Kinda sucks that the first Mewtwo apparently wasn't mentioned, but I'll live.

If anyone even cares, N and the Unova rivals appear in the credits.

Nice to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.