• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Movie 16 - ExtremeSpeed Genesect & The Awakening of Mewtwo - FIRST DETAILS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kein

AKA Silktree
I wonder if there is a line in Mewtwo Returns that's pretty much like "Goodbye Mewtwo, we'll never forget you". I feel like there might be, but it's been a couple years since I've watched it
In the Japanese version, Ash told Mewtwo that he would like to see it again. In the dub, he said that now they would both remember each other.

Virgil134

PMD Writer
In the Japanese version, Ash told Mewtwo that he would like to see it again. In the dub, he said that now they would both remember each other.

Lol, ain't that ironic?

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
I don't defend it. I'll just watch, enjoy and go on with my business and not complain about it.

To be honest, it's a kids movie. That's all there is to it, I see no reason to get so upset.

Dude...they ruined Mewtwo. They RUINED MEWTWO. Do you not see how serious this is? This isn't some "well we can't expect the best from the anime. I'll enjoy it anyway." No, this isn't some minor thing. You cannot possibly expect people to be okay with Mewtwo, the original most powerful Pokémon, one of the most famous Pokémon around, one of the most iconic of the start of Pokémon...to be erased and replaced with a weaker clone with absolutely no explanation.

If you're okay with it, well good for you. But this is an insult to longtime fans and another mess up for Best Wishes

I thought so.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
To be honest, it's a kids movie. That's all there is to it, I see no reason to get so upset.

Doesn't mean you should treat kids like little idiots with the memory of a goldfish. TheFonz said everything I would've otherwise liked to say, so I second that.

Then it means Ash is an idiot because the writers willed it. A tragic idiot who is attracted to irony, but one nevertheless.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Honestly, I blame the return of the Pikachu shorts last year. Having the short caused the movie to lose a good 20 minutes, and if the story didn't have to be crushed into a 70-75 minute movie maybe Yuyama wouldn't have decided he had to retcon Mewtwo out of existence to do it. Fitting decent stories into shorter movies was yet another thing Shudo could do that this crew can't.

It's official. Ash in Best Wishes is different from Ash in DP. It's easy to believe that than say the original Mewtwo doesn't exist.

ancat

Mewtwo: *To Ash* Thank you. I will remember you always.
Ash: This time, we'll both be able to remember!
Pikachu: *Jumps off Ash's shoulders and says good-bye to Pikatwo* Pikachu!
Pikatwo: Pikachu!
All of them set off to the air, with Mewtwo holding up Pikatwo and Meowtwo with his powers.
Mewtwo: If, someday, you hear my voice, know that it is my spirit calling across time and space to yours.

^ is the original dub farewell

and to think that ash won't remember at all..I'm so angry that the director of the plot just completely disregarded mewtwo's original character, and disregard his predecessor's work. how the hell can he just do that?

mewtwo had a lot of depth and development. it's blatant disrespect to mewtwo and everyone who had liked him. I really loved that character, and I can't believe they would just dump it off like it never happened.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
It's official. Ash in Best Wishes is different from Ash in DP. It's easy to believe that than say the original Mewtwo doesn't exist.

Well, if there can be two Mewtwo with identical stories outside of minor details, maybe there are multiple Ashes too. After all, there's no logical place where this stops now.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Can't believe I missed this, but what's with the blatant 9/11 reference in this movie? I mean it was obviously done on purpose given the setting, and I personally think it's uncalled for. I'm sure it'll be cut from the dubbed version, but it seems like the writers/producers/whoever just didn't care.

I'm really peeved about how this movie has turned out as a whole. I'll admit that I had very low expectations from the start (no surprise there lol), but even I didn't think they would take one of the most iconic Pokemon in the franchise and ruin his legacy. I'd just like to clarify that I don't mean any disrespect to the new Mewtwo's voice actress. I read one of her interviews and she seemed really nice, so I don't hold her responsible for the way this movie turned out; she was just hired to voice the new Mewtwo and that's what she did.

Steelia

forever.

Everyone expected at least the ending to be stupid. But there's a fine line between simply appealing to kids, and treating us the audience like we're idiots. Especially Ash, for forgetting the first Mewtwo despite heavily implying it was the old Mewtwo when the trailer showed. He even said Mewtwo's name. The director is well aware of the existence of the 1st Mewtwo as well, but consciously went with making another.

Little kids are loud, hyper, and have short attention spans - but they're not stupid. Speaking from experience back in 1998, I wasn't stupid enough not to notice there was a huge difference between this cool guy and this obvious fake, when that abysmal Hollywood movie came out. And I wasn't even 10 at the time. Japanese kids are smart kids. Give them some credit.

I'm not mad or even disappointed in having another Mewtwo. In fact, I think it's pretty cool to have both a "male" and "female" Mewtwo. The possibilities there could be if the two met in the anime canon would be so much fun. But when you try to retcon the original, one of the most complex and sympathetic Pokemon ever made, then we have a problem.
This movie sounds like the Bay Transformers movies - high on action and very pretty to look at, but makes sad attempts at characterization and plot.

Everyone expected at least the ending to be stupid. But there's a fine line between simply appealing to kids, and treating us the audience like we're idiots. Especially Ash, for forgetting the first Mewtwo despite heavily implying it was the old Mewtwo when the trailer showed. He even said Mewtwo's name. The director is well aware of the existence of the 1st Mewtwo as well, but consciously went with making another.

Little kids are loud, hyper, and have short attention spans - but they're not stupid. Speaking from experience back in 1998, I wasn't stupid enough not to notice there was a huge difference between this cool guy and this obvious fake, when that abysmal Hollywood movie came out. And I wasn't even 10 at the time. Japanese kids are smart kids. Give them some credit.

I'm not mad or even disappointed in having another Mewtwo. In fact, I think it's pretty cool to have both a "male" and "female" Mewtwo. The possibilities there could be if the two met in the anime canon would be so much fun. But when you try to retcon the original, one of the most complex and sympathetic Pokemon ever made, then we have a problem.
This movie sounds like the Bay Transformers movies - high on action and very pretty to look at, but makes sad attempts at characterization and plot.

It's a pity. Pokemon never had such amazing animated night battles. It's just so amazing. Arrrgh, why destroy it? Why? Are these people trying to destroy their own franchise?

Kein

AKA Silktree
Honestly, I blame the return of the Pikachu shorts last year. Having the short caused the movie to lose a good 20 minutes, and if the story didn't have to be crushed into a 70-75 minute movie maybe Yuyama wouldn't have decided he had to retcon Mewtwo out of existence to do it. Fitting decent stories into shorter movies was yet another thing Shudo could do that this crew can't.
But they had the prologue to work with, which is as long as the short is. The length isn't the problem here.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Can't believe I missed this, but what's with the blatant 9/11 reference in this movie? I mean it was obviously done on purpose given the setting, and I personally think it's uncalled for. I'm sure it'll be cut from the dubbed version, but it seems like the writers/producers/whoever just didn't care.

The Japanese don't care, most likely. I don't think two identical towers were explicitly destroyed in the movie itself, but yeah, to have a shot of the destruction of a city that looks like New York City itself hits too close to home. So no complaints there about it being taken out of the dub, even though it's popular in movies to have New York get wrecked. A bit of a weird double standard we have :/.

Mewter

Biotechnic Deviant
But they had the prologue to work with, which is as long as the short is. The length isn't the problem here.
Vague characterization and sparkly visuals are not a good way to spend 20 minutes when that adds no value to the movie it is supposed to precede.

That they made a prologue, the length of a normal episode, from which almost nothing productive or worthwhile came about, really says a lot about how they view the anime and those who watch it.

Dude...they ruined Mewtwo. They RUINED MEWTWO. Do you not see how serious this is? This isn't some "well we can't expect the best from the anime. I'll enjoy it anyway." No, this isn't some minor thing. You cannot possibly expect people to be okay with Mewtwo, the original most powerful Pokémon, one of the most famous Pokémon around, one of the most iconic of the start of Pokémon...to be erased and replaced with a weaker clone with absolutely no explanation.

If you're okay with it, well good for you. But this is an insult to longtime fans and another mess up for Best Wishes
Been a fan ever since the OS gang was active. I understand that people are mad and I can understand why they're mad as well. But, it just doesn't faze me at all. Like many people have said, BW was a screw up. I just got used to things like this happening.

Been a fan ever since the OS gang was active. I understand that people are mad and I can understand why they're mad as well. But, it just doesn't faze me at all. Like many people have said, BW was a screw up. I just got used to things like this happening.

True. We're not supposed to be watching this show anymore. I guess it's our fault to overstay in the fandom. Meh, I wish I know why I am still clinging to the anime. But I will last one more generation.

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
True. We're not supposed to be watching this show anymore. I guess it's our fault to overstay in the fandom. Meh, I wish I know why I am still clinging to the anime. But I will last one more generation.

Come on guys, you're acting like the anime has been like this for ages. It's only been 3 years.

...we're not supposed to watch this anymore? What the hell? What is happening...

BlueDragonfangirl

I thought we knew this, BW series has treated Ash like a joke while AG series to D/P really tried with him even though some said his personality was gone which I was one of those who disagreed with on that.

Yet, I look forward to X and Y anime series, maybe cuz of how he looks more mature from the image almost like AG Ash, so gives me hope hey'll return to AG Ash. I'm one of the few who didn't mind BW Ash, even though he didn't win at all till the last few episodes which some say doesn't count. I'm hopeful for X and Y anime to be better than this, they'll have new writers right? I thought every series got new writers?

Its so weird, they have DA give all these flashbacks of other series yet they want to act like MewTwo one of the most popular Pokemon in the series isn't didn't happen? What the heck?

I'll still see the film due to me being a big Ash fan but this is going to be the first Pokemon film to be hard to watch.

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
So, seen the summary...

Words cannot describe my feelings, so just have this image.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
Then Returns never happened. The first movie had to of happened because it tied into the regular anime. Returns status was already shoddy due to it being a anime special ( like Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon I consider it non-canon).

Except the TV Special was aired as a regular episode, and then re-aired as three separate regular episodes whenever the series is rerunning in Japan . It's canon.

This entire movie is bullshit. People who followed through the Japanese version of the original Mewtwo story feel the sting even more. They ruined a perfectly good character and disrespected the work of a dead writer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.