• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Movie 16 - ExtremeSpeed Genesect & The Awakening of Mewtwo - FIRST DETAILS

Status
Not open for further replies.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
By that logic, if someone were to just genetically enhance Mew's Dragon type capabilities, out pops a humanoid purple Mew and not just a normal Mew with more powerful Dragon moves.
The scope of their goals was " Make a Mew, but stronger " in both the original group and this group's case. If that's their aim they'll probably be looking to enhance the same things with marginal difference. Since they're just enhancing Mew they produce Mewtwo.

So I guess they'd produce a Mewtwo that naturally knows Dragon Pulse; a move it normally cannot learn, in your scenario.

Except, as I've told you, there is no indication that the scientists knew of the old one's existance.

They wouldn't need to.

They're not trying to make a Pokemon in Mewtwo's image. They're making a stronger Mew.

Show me scientific proof that all Japanese children are mindless sheep who are 100% incapable of noticing glaring continuity screwups.

You can probably just Google children and memory and pull up some reading material. The general consensus is that children as young as 2 could form memories about things they've seen and experienced, but their ability to recall those memories fade as they grow older. That extends to other aspects of their mental development. Their ability to understand a story, notice inconsistencies, and make their own decisions also improves with age.

That's why children's programs fall into a predictable routine. It may be silly to adults to have to explain how things in this particular universe works every episode, but children are more forgetful. We even see colors of that in Pokemon where Ash feels the need to dex Pokemon he clearly has seen and interacted with before. It's not for his in-universe benefit. It's for the benefit of the young audience who might not have seen a Koffing (a particularly infamous example) before.

Also "get over it". Elitist, much?

I'm more a realist.

A lot of people went into this with absurdly high expectations ... as if they haven't been watching this show for 14 years and we haven't been dissapointed by the current region at almost every turn.

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
They wouldn't need to.

They're not trying to make a Pokemon in Mewtwo's image. They're making a stronger Mew.
Still doesn't explain how they made it look exactly like the old Mewtwo save for additional forme and female stuff. Nor does it explain how they named it exactly the same way.

Going back to the analogy, I find it hard to believe that every "stronger Mew clone" results in a Mewtwo each and every time. That's like saying every time someone makes a bird bigger than a robin it always results in an eagle, instead of getting an albatross or hen or vulture.

You can probably just Google children and memory and pull up some reading material. The general consensus is that children as young as 2 could form memories about things they've seen and experienced, but their ability to recall those memories fade as they grow older. That extends to other aspects of their mental development. Their ability to understand a story, notice inconsistencies, and make their own decisions also improves with age.

That's why children's programs fall into a predictable routine. It may be silly to adults to have to explain how things in this particular universe works every episode, but children are more forgetful. We even see colors of that in Pokemon where Ash feels the need to dex Pokemon he clearly has seen and interacted with before. It's not for his in-universe benefit. It's for the benefit of the young audience who might not have seen a Koffing (a particularly infamous example) before.
I'm sorry, but last I checked Pokémon was aimed at the 7-10 bracket, not 2 year olds.

I'm more a realist.
So are a lot of people here but they're not so condescending about it.

A lot of people went into this with absurdly high expectations ... as if they haven't been watching this show for 14 years and we haven't been dissapointed by the current region at almost every turn.
We were under the impression it would be THE Mewtwo. We believed that, having worked on the first movie, maybe Yuyama would make this a good follow-up on Mewtwo's story.

We never thought he would disregard continuity and magic another one up.

So basically, someone asked a relevant question, something that many of us were wondering, and they were scolded for it? Gee, it's nice to know that our questions are valued. :rolleyes: Seriously, that's lame. We want to know why a second Mewtwo was created and how, yet we as fans are being treated like we're being pesky for asking.

No, that's just a biased way of looking at it. Disliking the Mewtwo debacle is okay, but interpreting a tweet just as we wish isn't a good thing. Let's give them a break. For all we know, Hideki wasn't even serious. His other tweets suggest that he's in high spirits, and obviously won't bother answering those questions now. He just carefully avoided it altogether.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
He just carefully avoided it altogether.

He didn't "carefully" avoid anything imo; if anything he made things worse. If he didn't want to reveal any information then that's fine, but he could have been classier about it. Instead he was condescending. It didn't seem like he was joking imo. It was like he took offense just because someone asked something that he couldn't answer.

He didn't "carefully" avoid anything imo; if anything he made things worse. If he didn't want to reveal any information then that's fine, but he could have been classier about it. Instead he was condescending. It didn't seem like he was joking imo. It was like he took offense just because someone asked something that he couldn't answer.

Yes, he made a mess by answering to that person, but what if they were acquaintances? I am not saying that his answer was not irresponsible, but I am saying that interpreting it as him insulting everyday fan is wrong.

Steelia

forever.

Sadly, Lucario's movie raised the bar - and expectations - people had from the writers.
I've said it before... People don't give kids enough credit. Use your own personal experience. Have you ever noticed inconsistencies that writers/movie developers tried to hide but you could blatantly tell were there? While the memories of children aren't as focused as adults, they aren't completely oblivious to everything, either. And with the recent airing of the 1st Movie and Returns in Japan, there's no doubt kids are at least questioning Mewtwo's voice change.

Also, why 2 year olds...? Isn't the audience the anime is aiming for older than that? At least by several years.

Goodness.

I'm totally fine with 2 Mewtwo myself. That could open up some very interesting possibilities in the future, if the first Mewtwo ever encountered the forme-changer. Perhaps she could give him tips on how to further focus his battle prowess? It's not so much that a 2nd Mewtwo exists anymore... rather, it's the questioning of the canon that has rustled all the jimmies in this topic. There's a difference between leaving things ambiguous (did Neo die at the end of Matrix 3?), and extremely shallow writing skimming over things and leaving them unexplained.

For once, I'm actually waiting to see where the dub goes. I seriously doubt it will add anything for clarification's sake, as they've been staying pretty true to translations and whatnot (as far as I know). But, you never know.

Kein

AKA Silktree
Yes, he made a mess by answering to that person, but what if they were acquaintances? I am not saying that his answer was not irresponsible, but I am saying that interpreting it as him insulting everyday fan is wrong.
How is it wrong? The fact that they know each other from a single Twitter exchange doesn't excuse the fact that Sonoda was extremely rude to someone (a 20 years old student who obviously doesn't know Sonoda in real life) who didn't even ask him a question. Tomorin didn't think that Sonoda would read the tweet, and he was naturally offended by the uncalled for response.

Last edited:
How is it wrong? The fact that they know each other from a single Twitter exchange doesn't excuse the fact that Sonoda was extremely rude to someone (a 20 years old student who obviously doesn't know Sonoda in real life) who didn't even ask him a question. Tomorin didn't think that Sonoda would read the tweet, and he was naturally offended by the uncalled for response.

Actually, I took a look at Tomorin's twitter profile, it's full of complains (acc to google translate) just like we do. I am guessing Sonoda was offended by the repeated comments.

https://twitter.com/tomorin0326

Tell me what you make of it...:x

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
Actually, I took a look at Tomorin's twitter profile, it's full of complains (acc to google translate) just like we do. I am guessing Sonoda was offended by the repeated comments.

Well, who wouldn't be sick if the only thing people do in his/her account or in the Internet is complaining? Cut him some slack.

On-topic, I really like Douse Genesect. By the summary she seems adorable and seems to be the only experiment to not have problems with humans. I can't wait to see her.

Kein

AKA Silktree
Well Google translate makes you see things lol.....
He didn't tweet Sonoda at all (except when he attacked him), nor did he say anything rude. No one forced Sonoda to read Tomorin's tweets, which aren't even that critical.

Not to mention the fact that Sonoda chose to specifically reply to a completely acceptable question (which again, wasn't directed at him). By doing so, the people following Sonoda were given the impression that any plot-related question about the movie is a cause for ridicule.

Last edited:
He didn't tweet Sonoda at all (except when he attacked him), nor did he say anything rude. No one forced Sonoda to read Tomorin's tweets, which aren't even that critical.

Not to mention the fact that Sonoda chose to specifically reply to a completely acceptable question (which again, wasn't directed at him). By doing so, the people following Sonoda were given the impression that any plot-related question about the movie is a cause for ridicule.

Either way he did a stupid thing by replying to that tweet lol. Why specifically answer that one?

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.

Part of me wants to spam his Twitter account with questions about the movie just to see what his reaction would be. :p Just kidding, but it's very tempting because he might actually let something slip in his fit of frustration if people badger him enough.

On-topic, I really like Douse Genesect. By the summary she seems adorable and seems to be the only experiment to not have problems with humans. I can't wait to see her.

Would someone be so kind as to remind me what "Douse Genesect" is? I've tried to keep up with the Genesect but there are like five of them and I can't tell them apart (the Shiny one being the obvious exception). I'm also wondering how a giant metallic Bug Pokemon like Genesect could be adorable; I personally find the species to be borderline creepy. :x

Part of me wants to spam his Twitter account with questions about the movie just to see what his reaction would be. :p Just kidding, but it's very tempting because he might actually let something slip in his fit of frustration if people badger him enough.

If I knew Japanese, I would have done that already.

Janovy

Banned
I can't believe you guys, you would honestly go and molest that man with questions?

The movie aired, it's done - nothing can change that.

What, it's wrong to have curiosity? Wouldn't you try asking the guy who made this movie a few questions? Like why they had to use the New Mewtwo. Isn't that way better than molesitng this forums with thousands of posts of speculation? :x

Ash&Pikachu-Fan

Pika-Speed
I can't believe you guys, you would honestly go and molest that man with questions?

The movie aired, it's done - nothing can change that.

Aren't people complaining because no one is answering a simple question? :/ If I throw a can at someone and don't give a reason for it, of course people are going to complain even more. I know, bad example.

I kinda want to know how there is another Mewtwo too, though. It doesn't change anything but I'd still like to know.

Janovy

Banned
They probably they have their own reason for not answering the question. I'm pretty sure hundreds of people have asked them already.

Status
Not open for further replies.