1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Movies = Canon? Dump it all here and leave the Genesect movie thread alone plz

Discussion in 'Animé Polls' started by LizardonX, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LizardonX

LizardonX Banned

All movies are canon unless proven otherwise.

Well he's not doing either.

2. Haunter ゴースト

Haunter ゴースト Well-Known Member

I've always said that all movies are canon, but Movie 14. It messes up the canonology of Best Wishes so much that I just can't take it seriously as canon.

Not only does it split in two, meaning only one of them is the true canon, but the main fault is the Zekrom/Reshiram story and how it's portrayed in the anime. Yes there can be more than one Zekrom and Reshiram, but everything about the story revolving them in Movie 14 doesn't fit especially with the anime's portrayal of them.

The creation trio, that worked fine in both the Movies and Anime. I challenge anybody to make Movie 14 sound logical with fitting into the anime.

3. Pepsi_Plunge

Pepsi_Plunge Dojyaaa~~aan

Most movies aren't cannon unless proven otherwise.

4. Janovy

Janovy Banned

I only consider a movie canon if it has direct effects on the anime series itself. If it doesn't ... nope.

5. dman_dustin

dman_dustin Well-Known Member

Why does it matter if movies are canon or not?

I thought this argument was about the timeline, the moment you question whether or not a movie is canon, you automatically fail in your argument about the timeline of any movie.

You can't have it both ways: You can't argue a movie is not canon or canon and then at the same time use any movie as an example of your "timeline" argument.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2013
  6. yuoke

yuoke Treasure huntin'

Wouldn't that also make movie 15 not canon, with kyurem being able to just become black white kyurem out of nowhere without gene splicing or anything like that?

7. Haunter ゴースト

No... that's simply an anime take on a Pokemon's Ability.

If you went by that logic, Movie 1 shouldn't be canon since in the games Mewtwo never had anything to do with Team Rocket at all (and we all know Movie 1 had scenes in the anime regardless). Also, Movie 2 shouldn't be canon since there is no statement Lugia controls the bird trio.

There are tonnes more reasons why you're logic isn't correct, but you get the point.

Besides, as of right now Kyurem hasn't appeared in the anime so we don't know it's anime story yet.

8. 1rkhachatryan

1rkhachatryan Call me Robert guys

Um flip that and you have the right answer.

Prove it please.

9. Joltik-Kid

Joltik-Kid What am I doing ಠ_ಠ

The first three movies were canon, that much we knew... things got a bit trickery down the line though.

10. 1rkhachatryan

Exactly, not all movies are canon till proven otherwise lol.

11. Haunter ゴースト

It took a long time researching all of this, but here you go everyone. Movies that have confirmation of being canon, and movies that people believe have valid reasons to be canon.

The movies proved canon:

-Movie 1 = Anime scenes.
    -Movie 2 = Lugia of the Orange Islands is referenced in the Whirl Islands.
    -Movie 7 = The events are referenced by Professor Lunds Research in the Deoxys AG two-parter.
    -Movie 16 = Anime scenes.

Movies believed to be canon:

-Movie 3 = The gang recognize Entei as a legendary Pokemon, they only saw it in Movie 3 before.
    -Movie 4 = Ash and Brock recognize Celebi in the AG BF episode. ALSO, Ash tells Professor Oak he's seen Suicune before in the Movie, this was before he knew about Suicune in the anime (since he didn't know what it was).
    -Movie 5 = Ash recognises Latios against Tobias only ever seeing one in Movie 5 beforehand.
    -Movie 8 = Ash recognizes Lucario upon first meeting Maylene, he knows it has the move Aura Sphere also. The only time he met one before was in Movie 8.
    -Movie 9 = Max recognizes Kyogre in the Movie, only ever seeing one in the Anime beforehand.
    -Movie 10 = People believe that the Lunar Wing Dawn used in the Darkrai/Cresselia episode is the one she bought in Movie 10.
    -Movie 11 = Movie 10.
    -Movie 12 = Movie 10.
    -Movie 13 = Ash recognizes Celebi from Movie 4 in the AG episode, and also recognizes Celebi in this Movie.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  12. 1rkhachatryan

I would say movie 3 is canon, no??

13. Kutie Pie

Kutie Pie 桜咲くこの坂を今も上っている

Max is the Pokénerd, I'm not too surprised here. He also is a native of Hoenn (unless they moved there?), and pretty much a lot of Hoenn natives know the myth of Groudon and Kyogre, even if they didn't recognize the names. I don't know if he recognized Kyogre in the anime immediately, but if he did, I'm sure he would've known about Kyogre in the movie no matter what. It'd be more credible if Ash made acknowledgment to recognizing it.

Still, those are pretty good observations. I haven't always thought about how the movies and anime could be connected, but I can see those being the case.

14. The Great Butler

The Great Butler Hush, keep it down

This is canon, Ash used his Aura abilities repeatedly in the main anime. Specifically, the Spiritomb episode and the J/Riolu special.

I can't believe I never thought of this before, but we don't even need the Lunar Wing to prove this.

[img139]http://serebii.net/anime/pictures/shinou/504/DP147.jpg[/img139]

The Space-Time Tower from Movie 10 appears in DP036.

15. Haunter ゴースト

Nothing confirms it.

Good point, however that is the reason i've placed it in the section people believe to be canon.

The aura doesn't confirm anything though. Ash is surprised he heard Riolu's voice, so are Dawn, Brock and the Ranger. The Ranger says it was Riolu's Aura, and with that they head to go and save Riolu. This reason is exactly why i've placed it in the 'movies that are believed to be canon area' since it isn't confirmed, yet it is believable.

Just because a location is seen in the anime doesn't prove that the events of a movie took place there.

That's like saying Mewthree exists because it's mentioned after Mewtwo's creation.

16. Joltik-Kid

Joltik-Kid What am I doing ಠ_ಠ

Brock's Zubat first used Wing Attack and Misty's Staryu first used Rapid Spin in that movie, not sure if I remember correctly, but I thought they knew who Entei was in EP259 (where Pineco evolved)

So we would know Ash had Aura abilities without movie 8?

Also about movie 10, pretty sure it would be pointless to show Dawn purchasing a Lunar Wing only for a different Wing to be used in the anime

17. 1rkhachatryan

Doesn't showing the Charizific valley and Charizard confirm it?? Those were anime only places that didn't debut in a movie...

18. Haunter ゴースト

Apologies, the gang do recognise Entei actually. However the Charizard reason doesn't confirm it.

Just rewatched the episode and yes they do recognise Entei, however it still only belongs in the 'movies people believe are canon' since recognizing a name is never definite confirmation.

Yes, since the episodes made it semi-believable that he gained them at that moment. He shouted out to Riolu, and reacted surprised when he heard Riolus voice. The ranger explained it was Riolu's Aura talking and the gang headed off to save it.

Yeah, it's common sense that it's the same Lunar Wing, but nothing labels it as the same one so we can't automatically assume it is.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  19. Haunter ゴースト

Apologies, Ash and the group recognise Enteis name.

However no the Charizard reason doesn't confirm it.

20. 1rkhachatryan

But the movies never mention anime locations(outside of the actual region and pallet town I believe)

That is an anime only location, meaning without the anime, Ash wouldn't even know about the valley. That seems enough to confirm it for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.