• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Movies/TV shows that scared you when you were little

Nyter

Island Challenger
There was this movie in the 90s called "The Rock" where these green balls would emit a deadly chemical that would turn people's faces into goo... That s#!t was scary to me. My dad did not know how to properly do male binding with me at the age of 5. The synopsis of the movie is below...

FBI chemical warfare expert Stanley Goodspeed (Nicolas Cage) is sent on an urgent mission with a former British spy, John Patrick Mason (Sean Connery), to stop Gen. Francis X. Hummel (Ed Harris) from launching chemical weapons on Alcatraz Island into San Francisco. Gen. Hummel demands $100 million in war reparations to be paid to the families of slain servicemen who died on covert operations. After their SEAL team is wiped out, Stanley and John deal with the soldiers on their own

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I know it isn't a movie or a tv show but I chanced upon the music video of Rihanna's Disturbia late at night and it freaked me out.

Some music videos are a bit freaky. Ever seen the music video for Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer? Fun fact - it was made by the people who would later go on to make Wallace & Gromit and Shaun the Sheep.

Last edited:

nel3

Crimson Dragon
Some music videos are a bit freaky. Ever seen the music video for Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer? Fun fact - it was made by the people who would later go on to make Wallace & Gromit and Shaun the Sheep.

there are a lot of scary music videos out there. many pop singers go out of their way to gross the hell out of you, ever seen a lady gag(a) music vid? that some scary crud she put in her MVs.

Leonhart

Imagineer
A family sitcom series called Dinosaurs. It was from the early 90's and I remember watching some episodes when I was really young and finding the character designs to be really unsettling. I'm not sure why I found them scary since they were essentially just giant Muppets, but I guess I just didn't like their big eyes.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
A family sitcom series called Dinosaurs. It was from the early 90's and I remember watching some episodes when I was really young and finding the character designs to be really unsettling. I'm not sure why I found them scary since they were essentially just giant Muppets, but I guess I just didn't like their big eyes.

the ending of that series was rather somber, not that i followed it very closely but it ended the way the dinos did- they all died in the end. only found that out later on obviously but it didnt end on a high note.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I just re-watched Toy Story 2 yesterday (I've seen it like 20 times), and the scene that always frightens me is the one where Woody has a nightmare that Andy is throwing him away like trash. This scene is kind of the reason almost never throw stuff away, even if they’re cluttering up my life. I’m a bit of a hoarder - I have like ten plush dolls in my bed.

Leonhart

Imagineer
NovaBrunswick said:
I just re-watched Toy Story 2 yesterday (I've seen it like 20 times), and the scene that always frightens me is the one where Woody has a nightmare that Andy is throwing him away like trash. This scene is kind of the reason almost never throw stuff away, even if they’re cluttering up my life. I’m a bit of a hoarder - I have like ten plush dolls in my bed.

I'm a fan of the Toy Story franchise overall, but to me the most disturbing scene was from the first movie when Woody and Buzz first arrive at Sid's room and the disfigured toys appear. That scene was disturbing to me as a kid.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I'm a fan of the Toy Story franchise overall, but to me the most disturbing scene was from the first movie when Woody and Buzz first arrive at Sid's room and the disfigured toys appear. That scene was disturbing to me as a kid.

That as well. Luckily they turned out to be friendly later, and they even helped Woody and Buzz escape.

Also, the bit in Monsters Inc. where Sully thinks Boo got crushed to death in the garbage compactor. I think all Pixar movies have some scary/disturbing moments, to be honest.

Last edited:
The Dark Crystal: The Skeksis scared me silly when I was little. And some of the ending scenes scared me.

Labyrinth: The movie is silly, but 6-year old me got so scared in the first 10 minutes. Something about Sarah wishing the goblins to take her brother away freaked me out as a kid.

Neverending Story: The Nothing and the Wolf were scary enough. But the scene with Artex messed me up! I couldn't even watch the movie again until I grew older.

I'm just realizing that a few of you put actual scary movies and here I am getting scared of 80's cheese. I was such a scaredy cat!

Hydrangea

ask me about my ocs pls
Staff member
  • Watership Down freaked me out really bad when I was a kid.
... Okay in fairness I don't think my parents should have let me watch this at age 8. That one scene gave me many nightmares throughout elementary school. I appreciate the movie a lot more now than I did as a kid.
  • Secret of NIHM is in the same boat. The rat that attacked her when she entered the rose bush really used to scare me. Not to mention the scenes where her house is flooding are really freaky when you're a kid. It's honestly one of my favourite animated movies now.
  • The Last Unicorn's Harpy... just, all of the scenes with the Harpy.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Labyrinth: The movie is silly, but 6-year old me got so scared in the first 10 minutes. Something about Sarah wishing the goblins to take her brother away freaked me out as a kid.

Isn’t that the one with David Bowie? And why would a kid wilfully want their sibling kidnapped by goblins? Unless her brother was a total brat. XD

Monozu

この日、森の中・・・
Coraline.

I watched it when I was maybe six or seven, and even my parents were scared...

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Coraline.

I watched it when I was maybe six or seven, and even my parents were scared...

I watched it when I was 14, and I was always scared of the ‘other’ mother and how she wanted to turn Coraline into a doll. I think this is probably the reason why I’m mildly afraid of dolls, especially if they’re hyper-realistic, Chucky included.