• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

MSN Virus

Yonowaru in Chaos

gaspard de la nuit
A virus keeps sending out advertising messages out when I'm offline on MSN to my contacts. I'm sure everyone's had this problem before, but I was wondering if the computer is infected, or the MSN account.

If it is the latter, would a new e-mail address suffice in solving the problem?

Probably, but you could very well stop using this for a long enough time that the account details are lost (because when I joined up on gmail, it did the same to my first Yahoo), you'll lose every bit of tracked data that whatever virus or server that infected you probably has as well, but that isn't likely given the general mean-spirited nature that most internet-goers share (let alone hacks!). I'd probably go with the new email, and if it turns out the same, you're (likely) not the only one who he targets (unless he does it by ISP or range, or something like that, and you're the only one who's suffered), so he'll get caught in the act soon enough. If you don't wish to wait, call up the cops and they'll probably take care of it in due time, given this gets as serious as the word lapses into, that is.

chuboy

<- It was THIS big!
Actually, the virus infects your computer. No matter how many email addresses you have, all of them will send messages to your contacts if you log in on the infected computer. Just look on google for the many available fixes and in future don't click on the obvious 'check out this lolz pic i found of you - download DSC1007.exe'

Hmm, sounds like one of those IP bans that some obsessive admins with their heads up their asses would hand out. Does it matter whether you're on the administrator account on the computer (and thus can bypass it with a decoy account), or...?

BCVM22

Probably, but you could very well stop using this for a long enough time that the account details are lost (because when I joined up on gmail, it did the same to my first Yahoo), you'll lose every bit of tracked data that whatever virus or server that infected you probably has as well, but that isn't likely given the general mean-spirited nature that most internet-goers share (let alone hacks!). I'd probably go with the new email, and if it turns out the same, you're (likely) not the only one who he targets (unless he does it by ISP or range, or something like that, and you're the only one who's suffered), so he'll get caught in the act soon enough. If you don't wish to wait, call up the cops and they'll probably take care of it in due time, given this gets as serious as the word lapses into, that is.

Hmm, sounds like one of those IP bans that some obsessive admins with their heads up their asses would hand out. Does it matter whether you're on the administrator account on the computer (and thus can bypass it with a decoy account), or...?

You do realize that the "culprit" is most likely a virus that would go about its sinister programming regardless of "IP bans" or "decoy accounts" or "calling the cops" or whatever it is you're going on about and not an actual person, right?

To the original poster, give this program--

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

--a try. It worked wonders for me.

Haha no dude, I was actually talking about ISP bans on the forums or on certain forums and sites; sorry for not specifying. Viruses can indeed track down people and infect them permanently (as it has been done so countless times), and that isn't the first thing to happen in the world nor something the cops should be notified about, since simply havin' an eye out for that schmucky ad virus or getting the right vaccines can get the job done, anyhow.

I'm done here. =/

Yonowaru in Chaos

gaspard de la nuit
Actually, the virus infects your computer. No matter how many email addresses you have, all of them will send messages to your contacts if you log in on the infected computer. Just look on google for the many available fixes and in future don't click on the obvious 'check out this lolz pic i found of you - download DSC1007.exe'

Yeah, I was a stupid computer noob when I first got my MSN. I'm glad I asked here, because I was going to change my e-mail address...again.

Probably, but you could very well stop using this for a long enough time that the account details are lost (because when I joined up on gmail, it did the same to my first Yahoo), you'll lose every bit of tracked data that whatever virus or server that infected you probably has as well, but that isn't likely given the general mean-spirited nature that most internet-goers share (let alone hacks!).

Well it's good-old hotmail for me.

To the original poster, give this program--

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

--a try. It worked wonders for me.

Thanks, I'll try that program right now.

As to chuboy and Shishioken, thanks, I appreciate the help. :D

FAIRY5556

its all blades
viruses infects your computer
sometimes you can have a online or offline bug
my old friend who is 18 has the same problem
so he just done something like a clear virus thingy