• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

[MTG-Casual] BR Immortal Coil

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
I had a few similar deck ideas kicking around when Bazaar Trader came out. It seemed like a great card, but there was nothing to really use it with other than Act of Treason effects. Immortal Coil was impractical in standard at the time. Instead, I built it for Casual... a few years later.

LANDS:
6x Swamp
6x Mountain
4x Shadowblood Ridge
4x Bojuka Bog

MAIN COMBO:
4x Immortal Coil
4x Bazaar Trader

RITUALS + SUPPORT:
4x Lotus Petal
4x Dark Ritual
4x Rite of Flame
4x Manamorphose
4x Nihil Spellbomb
4x Tormod's Crypt
4x Crimson Wisps
4x Manaforge Cinder

The basic goal of this deck is to drop Bazaar Trader as fast as possible, then Immortal Coil as fast as possible thereafter, then donate it for an instant kill (or set them up for one via Tormod's Crypt or similar effects). Basically Trix or any Donate-focused deck but in BR instead, because it moves a bit faster.

Lotus Petal was originally Pyretic Ritual in preliminary builds. It was replaced because Lotus Petal gives the same amount of boost more easily, and can provide any color of mana. Manamorphose is in case I end up with only mountains and a Rite of Flame to get my coil out faster, and it also serves as a free draw if nothing else. Manaforge Cinder serves a similar function and can chump block if the chips are down.

Crimson Wisps could probably go, but it was from an earlier build of the deck that had Culling the Weak and Ornithopter in, which would get a T1 Coil and could set up for T2 trade after a Rite of Flame. It also counts as cycle for R if nothing else.

i am really wondering if it'd be worthwhile going grixis for preordain+ponder, because 8/60 card slots getting to the combo seems wildly inconsistent. maybe a couple of pact of negation would do you well also?

The Admiral

I didn't think about that very much. Most tutors are too expensive for this, too, or are Gamble, and they'd make the deck non-Legacy (so I'd have to chuck at least three Lotus Petals). I could use other cheap cycling effects like Manamorphose, but alas... I don't think there's anything that's basically a free cycle effect, sadly.

cycling lands could be a thing (onslaught ones of course) since you don't really need that much land out to function, just slam down a basic and ritual to 4 mana. there's also street wraith for "free" cycling, and you can even cast it in a pinch, but if you're going that far i'd probably just go grixis.

Zazie

So 1991
In addition to street wraith and manamorphose there is also gitaxian probe which also cycles though your deck for free. Running all three will increase your chances of getting card X on turn 0 from 40% to 48%. I would put in both gitaxian probe and street wraith and remove some other less useful cards like manaforge cinder, since it lets you have what is essentially a 48 card deck, and will also let you cut a few lands

urza's bauble and mishra's bauble have a similar effect but don't let you draw the card until your next upkeeps, they will further increase the chances of getting the card you need, but at the cost of some tempo. I am not sure if they are good picks as well.

Last edited:

The Admiral

In addition to street wraith and manamorphose there is also gitaxian probe which also cycles though your deck for free. Running all three will increase your chances of getting card X on turn 0 from 40% to 48%. I would put in both gitaxian probe and street wraith and remove some other less useful cards like manaforge cinder, since it lets you have what is essentially a 48 card deck, and will also let you cut a few lands

Not bad ideas. Odd that I forgot both, since I'd championed Gitaxian Probe early on among my old playgroup, and Street Wraith's goodness I should already know well since I was building it into an Astral Slide deck at one point...

urza's bauble and mishra's bauble have a similar effect but don't let you draw the card until your next upkeeps, they will further increase the chances of getting the card you need, but at the cost of some tempo. I am not sure if they are good picks as well.

They have their uses, but I'm not sure about whether or not they'd have their uses in this deck. The ideal set of plays gets a T1 Trader and, hopefully, a T2 Coil.

manaforge cinder is pretty much essential imo since it converts rite of flame mana into black mana for immortal coil, but i'm not sure how i forgot gitaxian probe, that card is good here as well.