• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

MTG COTD: Dark Depths

Status
Not open for further replies.

klducks

Constipation= Fetish
[IMG200]http://resources.wizards.com/Magic/Cards/CSP/en-us/Card121155.jpg[/IMG200]
Legendary Snow Land
Dark Depths comes into play with ten ice counters on it.
3: Remove an ice counter from Dark Depths
When Dark Depths has no ice counters on it, sacrifice it. If you do, put an indestructible legendary 20/20 black Avatar creature token with flying named Marit Lage into play.

this card really makes you go lol. By what turn will you pay off 30 mana to get a 20/20 out. Seems like a very fun casual card. Some sort of Infinite life + Channel + this combo maybe? I dunno, but the way the turn structure turns out with any special combo is

turn 1 this.
turn 2 mana
turn 3 mana
turn 4 mana + 9 counter
turn 5 mana + 8 counter
turn 6 mana + 7 counter
turn 7 mana + 5 counter
turn 8 mana + 3 counter
turn 9 mana + 1 counter
turn 10 20/20
turn 11 game.

The one thing that really sicks me is that this 20/20 doesnt even have trample. by turn 11, im sure if it mattered, youd either lose or if its really slow, your opponent must have atleat some flyers hanging around to delay your win? it's just really lame is all lol

The Duck's Rating: 1.5/5

Felix Feral Fezirix

Densetsu no Pikachu!
This calls for mana accel and Trample adder! Yay! SQUISHY!

Nuff said. It's for a casual game to squish people with.

3.5/5

The_Darkness_Incarnate

+Erratic-Inanity+
I'm surprised no one has thought of this.

[img200]http://resources.wizards.com/Magic/Cards/DST/en-us/Card49075.jpg[/img200]

Turn 5 Marit Lage. :O

4/5

Actually earlier. Snap is the main reason this card, IMO, kicks arse. Especially with how much tutoring there is, and how easy it is to set up a snap(Diabolic Tutor, anyone?). You can also do a mini-version of it with Power Conduits, though it isn't recommended. Turn four squish. It's not going to rock any tourney scenes, but having a deck that can full off something like this is tempting;

Turn One: Forest, Birds
Turn Two: Into the North for Depths
Turn Three: Tutor for Snap
Turn Four: 20/20 squish

In a 50/50 case scenario case scenario, where both Depths and Snap had to be tutored. More than enough tutors in both colors to search both cards out easily; Wishes, Sylvan Scrying, Into the North, Vampiric Tutor, Diabolic Tutor... etc. etc. Essentially, there's enough to that you can fill your deck with tutors and mana excel, and drop one of these bad boys by turn five, maximum.

Possibly my favorite non-obviously likable card(ie. Ohran Viper) in Coldsnap. Screams BG deck that may actually win at least 70% of the time. The pieces and colors are just so convenient. :p

4.5/5, possibly higher.

IMO, without that direct combo, I don't see what the hubbub is. If you have some way of getting any variation of Pacifism off, that things doing nothing.

That is, unless Indestructible is now immune to enchantments..

IMO, it takes too long to build up without said Mirrodin block card, and I can usually find ways around it (Which also includes bumping it back into your hand, in which case its not a 20/20 legendary indestructible with flying anymore)

2/5, due to the combo. Maybe more if it has good use in Extended, but I don't play too much of extended, and I don't know how Coldsnap ruling goes in Standard.

Last edited:

The_Darkness_Incarnate

+Erratic-Inanity+
IMO, without that direct combo, I don't see what the hubbub is. If you have some way of getting any variation of Pacifism off, that things doing nothing.

That is, unless Indestructible is now immune to enchantments..

IMO, it takes too long to build up without said Mirrodin block card, and I can usually find ways around it (Which also includes bumping it back into your hand, in which case its not a 20/20 legendary indestructible with flying anymore)

2/5, due to the combo. Maybe more if it has good use in Extended, but I don't play too much of extended, and I don't know how Coldsnap ruling goes in Standard.

'Tis called tutoring for enchantment hate/Sheilding Plax. Half the deck it tutoring anyways, why not add things that protect Marit Lage? Worst case scenario, I can see splashing blue for countermagic, which in itself isn't too bad since the other half of the deck is manafixing/excel. Also note that BG has enough ways to tutor both cards that you can make a deck with just tutoring and mana find/excel. Hence the previous thoughts. Also token makers work around Diabolical/Cruel Edicts. Slap one down or turn The Restless Tomb into a creature in response.

By the way, the combo is in itself extended. Snap isn't standard legal. :X Ruling in Standard and Extended are also the same, the only difference between the two is the cardpool.

^My defense. :p

Thats what I find odd.. The place that holds FNM around here has Coldsnap as Standard legal, but the rest of Ice Age still unlegal.

They said that was League sanctioned ruling that Coldsnap was in Standard, but would be cut upon Timeshifts release, as would Kamigawa (But thats apparent.)

The_Darkness_Incarnate

+Erratic-Inanity+
Thats what I find odd.. The place that holds FNM around here has Coldsnap as Standard legal, but the rest of Ice Age still unlegal.

They said that was League sanctioned ruling that Coldsnap was in Standard, but would be cut upon Timeshifts release, as would Kamigawa (But thats apparent.)

Coldsnap IS Standard legal, as it was made with the game's current power level and metagame in mind. Ice Age, Homelands, and Alliances are NOT legal because they were made without too much consideration on the developers' parts, being earlier parts of the game. I'd hate to see what Potence and STP would do to the current metagame; Potence would come back in a Netsuke deck, more available since Hyppie is currently Standard legal as well, as with the Orhov, STP would drastically improve Solar Flare and Top Control, already two of the best decks in the format. I'm pretty sure BW aggro-control wouldn't mind the boost either; neither would any deck that ran white for that matter. There's also the trouble with Outpost, which... *drones one for HOURS about how Ice Age block would molest Standard*

As to the second paragraph... that's funny. I thought CS would be around until Ravnica cycled out. I suppose that's just wishful thinking on my part, but I wouldn't see why they would do that unless it was just Solar Flare hate. There aren't too many bombs in snap, just doesn't make too much sense to me. CS expands the "fun" rating of standard by a lot in my opinion, giving timmys a chance to enjoy themselves competitively with crud like Ohran and Adarkar. But I suppose that's just me whining. :p

Sorry if this seems rushed, but it is; I need to get some homework done, and the first try didn't quite go through. >_<.

~RaikouRider243~

Lightning Swordsman
I'd hate to see what Potence and STP would do to the current metagame; Potence would come back in a Netsuke deck, more available since Hyppie is currently Standard legal as well, as with the Orhov, STP would drastically improve Solar Flare and Top Control, already two of the best decks in the format. I'm pretty sure BW aggro-control wouldn't mind the boost either; neither would any deck that ran white for that matter. There's also the trouble with Outpost, which... *drones one for HOURS about how Ice Age block would molest Standard*

Not to mention Force of Will, possibly the most broken blue card outside the power nine. Necropotence is just bull****. ...What was the purpose of Coldsnap if Homelands was the second set after Ice Age? R&D wanted everyone to forget about Homelands by re-finishing the Ice Age block?

Last edited:

The_Darkness_Incarnate

+Erratic-Inanity+
Not to mention Force of Will, possibly the most broken blue card outside the power nine. Necropotence is just bull****. ...What was the purpose of Coldsnap if Homelands was the second set after Ice Age? R&D wanted everyone to forget about Homelands by re-finishing the Ice Age block?

Eh, I discounted it since most of the current decks don't really NEED a counter that more or less loses them card advantage. Meta has Counterbalance+Top, there's not many more counters needed after that, though Shoal does the job beautifully.

Homelands isn't officially part of the Ice Age block. It was more or less done so the set would have an even three blocks. There's no book for Homelands, there's no significant creatures, there's no characters from the Ice Age. I'm not even sure if it's in the same world. It's a cop-out set that didn't even make ANY impact, which is why you can find homelands packs for 2 bucks off the net or your local card store; There's not even cool legends in it. >_>.

Coldsnap puts a solid conclusion to the Ice Age, allowing to to proceed to the nex set. Alliances more or less set the scene for Coldsnap. And R&D probably had the layout for coldsnap for a long time anyways; They just never got around to printing it.

That's just my theory though, but as I have no idea about anything in homelands past a few packs I got when I was 7, I suppose it isn't to valid. But I do know that homelands more or less did not have anything to do with Ice Age, impact-wise.

kalkris

...Innuendo!
lol, took the words rite outta my mouth. actually, until i sold em out of it searching my butt off for Baron Sengir, my local card store sold homelands packs for 3 dollars. but yeah. As far as i know, homelands takes place in this silly little world (town?) called An-Haava. apparently, it revolves around this guy named Joven, this bandit with an accomplice named Chandler, and they're being pursued by a rival bandit (who practically runs An-Haava) named Eron. Meanwhiles, the evil Sengir clan, ruled by the best legend ever (Baron Sengir) (appointed by me) (i like parenthesis), plots to take over/destroy/kill off the city/city/denizens of An-Haava. How do I know this? Because I'm a Vorthos, who loves flavor text and art. Unfortunately, ive only read Odyssey (which was great, i might add). No, not THE Odyssey, just ODYSSEY. not by homer. by some other guy. yeah. THAT guy.

Non spam:

All you guys are thinking of are ways to bring Dark Depths into play. Sure, having it in my snow deck means i should do that too, but im more worried about ways to prevent it from being killed (or stalled)!

Various ways to stall:

Flying-WU(BRG???)

CoP:B-W

Spiders-G

Protection from Black-W primarily

Arrest-W

Various ways to get rid of it:

bouncing-U

removing from game-WU(R?)

discard from hand-B

near lethal damage, then -X/-X, where X is the 20-the damage Marit Lage took-B(R to boost?)

stealing, then killing you with it-UR

enchanting with a card like that one that gives a creature +2/-0, then every turn its -0/-1 until it goes kaboom, forget the name-U

W-5
u-4
B-3
R-4
G-2

thats a total of 18 ways to go for Mr(s).Lage. And there's probably more. Much more. And in all the colors.

As you can see, most of these effects you'll likely find in White and Blue decks, which could be bad for you. So, this card is casually to be played against people who you know can't do much about the big guy/gal/avatar/thingy. Remember, if you can do something with (or about if you're against) Marit Lage, you should do it. But in my rating, I'll be fair to all you Marit Lage lovers (myself being one), and give it a 3.5 out of 5.

Lil Kalki's Super Rating: 3.5/5

Till then, may Chthulu not eat your brains with 20/20 flying indestructable power.

~Lil Kalki

Felix Feral Fezirix

Densetsu no Pikachu!
kalkris said:
discard from hand-B

You might be talking about discarding Dark Depths here, since Marit Lage is a lil' tokee. Then again, the minute people pull it, they'll jump in glee, slap it down, and start yanking counters off it as fast as they can go. >_< Discard probably won't work. Library removal on the other hand...

Well, just my two cents.

The_Darkness_Incarnate

+Erratic-Inanity+
lol, took the words rite outta my mouth. actually, until i sold em out of it searching my butt off for Baron Sengir, my local card store sold homelands packs for 3 dollars. but yeah. As far as i know, homelands takes place in this silly little world (town?) called An-Haava. apparently, it revolves around this guy named Joven, this bandit with an accomplice named Chandler, and they're being pursued by a rival bandit (who practically runs An-Haava) named Eron. Meanwhiles, the evil Sengir clan, ruled by the best legend ever (Baron Sengir) (appointed by me) (i like parenthesis), plots to take over/destroy/kill off the city/city/denizens of An-Haava. How do I know this? Because I'm a Vorthos, who loves flavor text and art. Unfortunately, ive only read Odyssey (which was great, i might add). No, not THE Odyssey, just ODYSSEY. not by homer. by some other guy. yeah. THAT guy.

Non spam:

All you guys are thinking of are ways to bring Dark Depths into play. Sure, having it in my snow deck means i should do that too, but im more worried about ways to prevent it from being killed (or stalled)!

Various ways to stall:

Flying-WU(BRG???)

CoP:B-W

Spiders-G

Protection from Black-W primarily

Arrest-W

Various ways to get rid of it:

bouncing-U

removing from game-WU(R?)

discard from hand-B

near lethal damage, then -X/-X, where X is the 20-the damage Marit Lage took-B(R to boost?)

stealing, then killing you with it-UR

enchanting with a card like that one that gives a creature +2/-0, then every turn its -0/-1 until it goes kaboom, forget the name-U

W-5
u-4
B-3
R-4
G-2

thats a total of 18 ways to go for Mr(s).Lage. And there's probably more. Much more. And in all the colors.

As you can see, most of these effects you'll likely find in White and Blue decks, which could be bad for you. So, this card is casually to be played against people who you know can't do much about the big guy/gal/avatar/thingy. Remember, if you can do something with (or about if you're against) Marit Lage, you should do it. But in my rating, I'll be fair to all you Marit Lage lovers (myself being one), and give it a 3.5 out of 5.

Lil Kalki's Super Rating: 3.5/5

Till then, may Chthulu not eat your brains with 20/20 flying indestructable power.

~Lil Kalki

Wanna know what protects it from all of those? Tutor+Shielding Plax/Sylvan Safekeeper/Other Similar card+Snap+Play=Pwnt. Kira, Great Glass Spinner works as well, if you want to splash blue. It also shouldn't be too hard to pull then off, as about 10-30% of a deck around it should be mana excel, whether to find the Depths or just to pull it off earlier. Also, for one's those cards fall through, when it doubt, tutor artifact-hate. Or even creature-hate. It's not as if BG has a shortage of either one. :p

Also, nay, the greatest legend ever is... erm... either Yosei or that new Jaya Ballard card Matt Cavotta recently previewed(appointed by me, :p). Jaya 120x><3d my 50[|<5, hardcore. Incinerate on a stick for 3 mana? Life from the Loam/Jaya deck plz. XD

Not to mention the future-planeswalk-y goodness and uber sexy-ful art(Jaya). Yosei competitively, IMO, is the awesomest legend. When it dies, or better yet, two come into play, you scoop. You can't come back from that. :p

Last edited:

kalkris

...Innuendo!
Felix said:
You might be talking about discarding Dark Depths here, since Marit Lage is a lil' tokee.

I am talking about the land, yes.

The_Darkness_Incarnate said:
Tutor+Shielding Plax/Sylvan Safekeeper/Other Similar card+Snap+Play=Pwnt.

Yeah but wouldn't that require immediate topdecking and/or major stacking??? lol

All I was saying is that even though Marit Lage/Chthulu=pwnage, there are so many ways to get rid of it!

But, if you're looking for ways to get help maintaining your little buddy, a good idea is to have a couple of Crucible(s) of Worlds in it. That would protect the land. Then, find a way to get Lage into play, find a way to protect it, and bring DD out again. that way, if your opponent finds a way to get around whatever protection you have, bring out another if it's deceased. Or even better, MIRROR GALLERY!!!! Whoopeeeeeeee!!!!!! Thank goodness they'll never ban them.

Now THAT'S Uber pwnage lol!!!!!111!!!!!1!!!!one!!!!!!1!!!!eleven

~Lil Kalki

SECRET FACT OF THE DAY: Mirror Gallery + Frankie Peanuts X 2 = WIN! (Hint: use PEMDAS!)

The_Darkness_Incarnate

+Erratic-Inanity+
I am talking about the land, yes.

Yeah but wouldn't that require immediate topdecking and/or major stacking??? lol

All I was saying is that even though Marit Lage/Chthulu=pwnage, there are so many ways to get rid of it!

But, if you're looking for ways to get help maintaining your little buddy, a good idea is to have a couple of Crucible(s) of Worlds in it. That would protect the land. Then, find a way to get Lage into play, find a way to protect it, and bring DD out again. that way, if your opponent finds a way to get around whatever protection you have, bring out another if it's deceased. Or even better, MIRROR GALLERY!!!! Whoopeeeeeeee!!!!!! Thank goodness they'll never ban them.

Now THAT'S Uber pwnage lol!!!!!111!!!!!1!!!!one!!!!!!1!!!!eleven

~Lil Kalki

SECRET FACT OF THE DAY: Mirror Gallery + Frankie Peanuts X 2 = WIN! (Hint: use PEMDAS!)

That sets up, what, turn 10? You can tutor Plax of Safekeeper over two or three turns, you know. It's not too hard, assuming that you don't already have one or the other in your hand, as most tutors for black are cheap and efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.