• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

MTG COTD: Furnace of Rath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felix Feral Fezirix

Densetsu no Pikachu!
[IMG200]http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/tempest/furnace_of_rath.jpg[/IMG200][IMG200]http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/8e/furnace_of_rath.jpg[/IMG200][IMG200]http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/9e/furnace_of_rath.jpg[/IMG200]

1RRR: Enchantment

Double all damage assigned to a creature or player.
---------------------
If a source would deal damage to a creature or player, it deals double that damage to that creature or player instead.
---------------------
The furnace awaits the next master who would stoke the fires of apocalypse.

Oooh.....Fun little card. Crowd Control and Direct Damage decks will love this. Double damage to everything. A dream come true. Yeah, and weenie overload decks might not mind this. >_< Whacky for extra damage. Whee.

3.5/5.

klducks

Constipation= Fetish
1 mana 6 damage (lightning bolt)
4 damage to each creature (pyroclasm)

Hello lifegain for the cards that say (deals X damage. You gain that much life)

and weenie creatures can't really abuse it since it'll still be 2 or 4 damage, and the big ones can still be blocked. It makes it a tad better, but it shouldn't make THAT BIG of a difference.

a 6 damage for 1 mana and a chance of getting it copied for 12 or 18 damage. that makes a difference

Shadow Trainer

Hive Trainer
A decent card, works well with burn and low costed creatures. The triple red mana cost hurts alittle though and since this works for both players it could come back to bite you. 2/5

Felix Feral Fezirix

Densetsu no Pikachu!
Well, when you have a whole bunch of weenie creatures to block big ones, you can use half the amount of creatures to kill the attacking monster. ^_^

skiboydoggy

Ski > You
But... You must remember that the big creature still tramples over all of them anyway...
And if it has trample, goodbye.
But Direct Damage decks laugh in your face.
-Plant down Furnace of Rath and pay 12 mana-
ROLLING THUNDER!

Felix Feral Fezirix

Densetsu no Pikachu!
WHich is why this must be abused.

R

Runeseekermew

it's called 3 cards: lightning helix, ink-treader nephilim, and slagwurm armor. you bolt the nephilim, get a copy of the spell for god knows how many creatures are on the field, so you gain about 300 life while your opponent is totally destroyed.
Or, just get a blaze with this mana cost: 10R. no questions asked.

Don't run blaze, run fireball. This card is not too good, it has far more cons than pros, especially since red deck wins deals damage to itself, which is by far the best burn deck (direct damage, isnt that from yugioh?). anyway, in the only competitive deck it would fit into, it doesnt work with, ehh, 1/5.

Felix Feral Fezirix

Densetsu no Pikachu!
I don't think you've seen the power of this card in Crowd Control.

-plants Furnace of Rath-

-plants AEther Flare-

-plants Goblin Cebaucher-

-readies hand to mass-play damage spells-

Now, all creatures that come into play take 4 damage apiece, and you probably can kill anything on the field with a spell, and then use Goblin Chebaucher's ability. Sure, I blast lots off my library, but for every card gone, you take 2 damage. Once I flip my tenth card, it's probably the end of you.

Somehow, someway, your opponent is going down.

And Magic came before Yu-gi-Oh!, therefore direct damage came from Magic. The first set was made like, what, 10+ years ago. >_< It had Fireball, I think, or some direct damage spell.

klducks

Constipation= Fetish
Pikachuism said:
And Magic came before Yu-gi-Oh!, therefore direct damage came from Magic. The first set was made like, what, 10+ years ago. >_< It had Fireball, I think, or some direct damage spell.
Indeed, Fireball is from Alpha (the very first set of magic, released 10+ years ago), along with Disintegrate, Drain Life, Lightning Bolt, Orcish Artillery, Pirate Ship, Psionic Blast, & Rod of Ruin.

umm.. yeah, I think direct damage definately came from magic.

I'd also like to mention that every phrase that yugioh uses that magic uses aswell came from magic. For example, I've heard the phrase "Mill" in the yugioh forums... Terribly sorry, but that came from magic. Since Millstone and Altar of Dementia all came before even the release of yugioh in Japan (1998 according to wikipedia) and Traumatize and Ambassador Laquatus not far behind.

"Control" and "Removal" are obvious ones aswell...

Not to mention, the "Discard Pile" is called "Graveyard" in BOTH games, and guess where that phrase came from?

I'm suprised the "Deck" in Yugioh isn't called "Library" as it is in magic..

I bet every other phrase used in yugioh ALL originated from magic aswell.

No the term direct damage came from yugioh, from those stupid little cards like ookazi or whatever, the term direct damage is not used in MTG, it is reffered to as burn, I never said yugioh came first, and trust me, I've been playing longer than most of you and i know what I'm talking about. oh, and I'm rating this card realistically Pikachuism, you wont be able to get all of those cards out. this card is bad, the only good competitive deck that can use it deals damge to itself, and that means this card will screw you over, just don't use it.

Last edited:

Kaizer

A Shadow of Darkness
The brain is right. It is called burn in magic. That's why they're commonly referred to as "burn" spells not "direct damage" spells.

Also, he's right about Furnace. Furnace, can indeed be a nice card. I play it in my casual burn deck. It's fun to use it to nuke the field. However, it isn't that great of a card. To be of most use, you need to drop it on turn 4. If you do that however, your opponent gets to use it before you do- not a good thing at all. It also costs triple red. That means it's going to be stuck in a mono-color deck for the most part.

Oh, and to prove you wrong klducks- "sent to the graveyard"

Felix Feral Fezirix

Densetsu no Pikachu!
LOL.

And of course, you can't forget Limited and Semi-Limited vs Form 9 and whatever...

klducks

Constipation= Fetish
Kaizer said:
The brain is right. It is called burn in magic. That's why they're commonly referred to as "burn" spells not "direct damage" spells.
klducks said:
I bet every other phrase used in yugioh ALL originated from magic aswell.
Burn = Direct Damage, yes yes?
Kaizer said:
Oh, and to prove you wrong klducks- "sent to the graveyard"
que..??? Which statement are you referring too?

yeah sure, yugioh copied a lot of mtgs game mechanics because mtg spawned the genre. but in magic burn does not necessarily mean direct damage, seeing as how there are multiple targets, however, in yugioh the term direct damage is used because the card specifically targets the players, they are very similar, but not the same. MTG uses burn, and Yugioh uses a similar concept but still different called direct damage because pretty much every card game uses mechanics of play from mtg, but please dont merge the games anymore than they have been due to the creators basing their games off of magic. oh and also, anyone else notice the similarities between the mtg 1999 champ Kai Budde and the yugioh character kaiba?

skiboydoggy

Ski > You
LOL! Similarities galore.
Oh, but I would like to note that Furnace of Rath + Glacial Bolt + Splice onto Arcane MORE Glacial Bolts = t3h pwnage.
Also, Golblin Charbelcher I think it was, owns with this. Not to mention Lightning Bolt, Shock, Volcanic Hammer, Aether Flare, Fireball, Rolling Thunder, Hellfire, Bogarden Hammer, Lava Axe...

Push them all into one deck, and you get uber Crowd Control without creatures.

Felix Feral Fezirix

Densetsu no Pikachu!
I mentioned the Charbaucher already. I just spelt it wrong.

And klducks, he's referring to the phrase "sent to the graveyard". The original MTG phrase was sacrifice, destroy, or, if you read one of the earlier playguides, "put it in your graveyard", not sent.

But it's about the same anyway.

skiboydoggy

Ski > You
Well, yes. We both mispelt, I'm just talking about the lol Burn Crowd Control Decks.

Felix Feral Fezirix

Densetsu no Pikachu!
AEther Flare should be BANNED. Graagh.

Status
Not open for further replies.