• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

MTG COTD: Powder Keg

Status
Not open for further replies.

klducks

Constipation= Fetish
[IMG200]http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ud/powder_keg.jpg[/IMG200]
Powder Keg - Urza's Destiny. Rare
2: Artifact
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put a fuse counter on Powder Keg.
T: Sacrifice Powder Keg: Destroy each artifact and creature with converted mana cost equal to the number of fuse counters on Powder Keg.
# Oct 4, 2004 - Putting on a counter is optional. If you forget, you can't go back later even if it is something you usually do.
# Oct 4, 2004 - Only destroys artifacts and creatures with exactly the specified cost. It does not mean "less than or equal to".

I like this card. If your opponent has multiples of the same card in play, all of them go poof. This card also surpasses the "Can't be targeted" ability which is also very nice. The one thing I don't like about this card is it's gotta be kept i n play then it takes a while for it to take down the big guys. Also, it destroys your stuff too, so you gotta watch out about that. Either way, it seems cool

The Duck's Rating: 2/5

Shadow Trainer

Hive Trainer
A nice card. works great against small aggro decks since most of there creature should cost the same.Only problem with it is that your opponent might destroy it before it has the number of counters you want on it. 3/5

S

Sergay Wang

Engineered Explosion (or is it Explosives?) is arguably better, but Powder Keg used to be a stable in a good number of decks before other mass removal artifacts like Oblivion Stone or previously mentioned Explosions where printed.

A bit slow, as waiting for fuse counters is not something you want to do if you know your opponent has artifact removal somewhere in his/her deck. But still, its a decently strong card that was used for a very good long time. And unlike the newer artifact removal cards, this kills artifact lands ^_^;;

OVERALL: 3/5

skiboydoggy

Ski > You
Utterly destroys Mirrodin's artifact lands, which is never a good thing for people like me. However, I think that Oblivion Stone is far superior, as it bypasses indestructibility.

My rating: 2/5, but a dear old 4/5 against Elves and Goblins.

S

Sergay Wang

Oblivion Stone doesn't bypass Indestructible. Nothing with the words DESTROY can kill indestructibles.

Only 'remove from game' effects like Swords to Plowshards can *kill* an indestructible permanent. That or something that indirectly puts a card in play into the graveyard- i.e. Recoil (return and discard).

And Powder Keg loses to Golbins because of Patriarch's Biddings while it loses to Elves because of Artifact removal from Elvish Scrapper or Viridian Shaman or Viridian Zealot.

skiboydoggy

Ski > You
Well, yes. I am sorry about the misunderstanding, I kinda forgot the text on Oblivion Stone.
However, I recall the Elvish removal came out in Mirrodin, and even then, you must recall that they often cost plenty enough to summon, and you merely need at the very most, two moves after summoning to clear the field.

Decent, but not great.

S

Sergay Wang

Elves cost like nothing mana to cast, and even if they did cost a lot, Elves MAKE MANA.

Elvish Scrapper costs G, tap, sacrifice to activate. Viridian Shaman kills artifacts as it comes into play.Viridian Zealot gots 1G, Sacrifice to active. They're all cheaper then playing Powder Keg and waiting 2 turns before activation. That and the fact that most elves' costs vary means Powder Keg doesn't kill Elves automagically.

Status
Not open for further replies.