• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

MTG COTD: Rule of Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

klducks

Constipation= Fetish
[IMG200]http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/mirrodin/rule_of_law.jpg[/IMG200]
Rule of Law - Mirrodin. Rare
2W: Enchantment
Each player can't play more than one spell each turn.
Appointed by the kha himself, members of the tribunal ensure all disputes are settled with the utmost fairness.

ok... I really don't know the point of this card. In constructed-tournament play, your opponent will already beat you down like 2-3 turns after you play this card. In limited, there really is no point in this card since you'd only play 1 card each turn anyway. In casual, maybe since the games go long and you could play little 1-3 mana spells but like it'd make a difference playing that same card next turn.

However, you can always combo this with Erayo's Essence, but that kinda contradicts yourself, lol. Yeah, I play four spells and then flip Erayo's Essence! Yeah, now we can only play 1 spell! Funny, but either way, this card is utterly pointless

The Duck's Rating: 1/5

Shadow Trainer

Hive Trainer
A nice card, a good effect and nicely cost ed, as mentioned this forms quite the lock down when you combo it with Erayo (though Arcane Laboratory would probably be better).Only problems I see with this card is that it won't really work that great against aggro, though it could work nicely against control. 3/5

klducks

Constipation= Fetish
Shadow Trainer said:
Only problems I see with this card is that it won't really work that great against aggro
Actually, I see this card doing great against aggro.

Aggro decks: Hi, I play 5 little 1/1s this turn.
*play Rule of Law*

CRAP!

chaoslord

Not...Pigeons....
Erayo’s Essence + Rule of Law = your opponent can't play spells.

That, and Blue control splashing white for this is REALLY nice. Play this, then just counter the one spell per turn your opponent gets, bounce their stuff, etc. Slowly retake control of the board, and then get out a finisher like Meloku.

Sadly, Mirrodin has rotated out of T2, rendering this card not as widely played, since extended sees the likes of Goblins and other REALLY fast decks running around. Turn 3 Kill...

Anyways, a great card overall.

3.5/5

S

Sergay Wang

Rule of Law is 100% meant for Control Decks. If you don't see that, then you've never played control properly.

While it's not necessary to be played in control, it doesn't kill you. Basically it means you never need to worry about countering more then 1 spell per turn. Should your opponent gain position, Wrath of God should do the trick. And you can count on the game being REALLY SLOW after you play this. Also, Rule of Law makes an excellent Mind's Desire counter.

I think people misread this card, making them think it's horrible. Each Player is allowed to play 1 spell per turn. This means you can play 1 spell on your turn. And your opponent can play 1 spell on your turn. And the same applies on your opponent's turns.

So basically, if you play this, then you only need to worry about countering no more then 1 spell every turn. And should your opponent have too much many creatures, you cast Wrath of God. Then you have control again. All you really need to worry about is keeping up with the Counterspells and hoping not to get mana screwed somewhere down the line.

Play this with Decree of Silence and you have 3 free turns to do whatever. Play with with Erayo's Essence and your opponent is locked. Play this with Isochron Scepter with an imprinted Counterspell, your opponent is locked.

Arcane Laboratory is exactly the same except Blue (and uncommon).

OVERALL: 3/5

klducks

Constipation= Fetish
I really like the Rule of law + Isochron Scepter combo. (since erayo is hard to flip, and decree is only temporary)

I should try it out on net.

S

Sergay Wang

It's actually harder to get the combo with Isochron Scepter because its technically a three card combo now. The others were two card combos.

Anyway, Isochron Scepter & Orim's Chant is a better combo.

klducks

Constipation= Fetish
King Loki said:
It's actually harder to get the combo with Isochron Scepter because its technically a three card combo now. The others were two card combos.

Anyway, Isochron Scepter & Orim's Chant is a better combo.
Well the thing is, all you really need is to stall the first cup turns with counters and bounces till you get the cards. 4X of each card, hope you get em.

and again, orim's chant is still only temporary =[

skiboydoggy

Ski > You
Decent in control or giant creature decks, makes no sense whatsoever in others.
I would go indepth, but I have yet to see many practical uses for this apart from the two mentioned above.
How about control/giants?
(I play Darksteel Colossus, you play Llanowar Elf...)
Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.