• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

MTG COTD: Shielding Plax

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Darkness_Incarnate

+Erratic-Inanity+
Eh, I suppose I should start doing this again when ducks is absent. Bleh... but I'm so lazy. :X

[IMG200]http://www.mtgfanatic.com//images/Magic/Dissension/Shielding_Plax.jpg[/IMG200]

2B/G

Enchantment-Aura

Enchant Creature

When Shielding Plax comes into play, draw a card.

Enchanted creature cannot be the target of spells or abilities that your opponents control.

-------------------------

If you look at it, it's pretty solid. Without it being a cantrip, it might see some play simply because green has big creatures that won't die unless you target them, which removes the loss of card advantage. But it IS a cantrip, which means it's likely that it WILL give you card advantage, as your opponent has to uberblock your fatty to kill it, unless your opponent is playing green too. And if he does, it's no skin off your nose, as it was a cantrip. Or if you have a key card that you need to protect, like Cytoplast Manipulator, it makes it read "Indestuctible except by Wrath", which defeats the purpose of killing it. I'd say that mainly due to the cantrip effect, it's a solid card if you drop something, anything worth protecting. If not, it prevents the opponent from clearing your creature with a Shock/Helix before their alpha strike. And back we come to the cantrip.

The only complaint I can see about it is that the three mana might be too slow comparitively, as Ohran costs the same amount. But again, if you have a key card that needs to be protected, then this is your best bet. And the "normal" enchant creature drawback is nullified, since, once again, it is a cantrip; so it can only help you if you play it. The only question is if it is worth playing for the three mana, which is probably how you would rate it.

3.75/5

Last edited:

Felix Feral Fezirix

Densetsu no Pikachu!
It's a nice carde to protect something with. This means your opponent has to deal with this first before dealing with whatever key card it's shielding (thus Shielding Plax)

I dunno what's cantrip... >_<

Overall, quite a good card. The three mana don'th bug.

4/5.

The_Darkness_Incarnate

+Erratic-Inanity+
It's a nice carde to protect something with. This means your opponent has to deal with this first before dealing with whatever key card it's shielding (thus Shielding Plax)

I dunno what's cantrip... >_<

Overall, quite a good card. The three mana don'th bug.

4/5.

A cantrip is a card that replaces itself in your hand when it comes into play. It's there to remove card disadvantage, raising the quality of many cards.

klducks

Constipation= Fetish
A guy on the official MTG site said it right. This is one of the best can trips ever. Protect one of your guys as well as drawing a card. I also like the flexibility o fhtis card. Suprisingly that it only has 1 colored mana instead of the usual 2 for these types of cards.

this is really an "if you need it; shove in" card. Not really a card that's a must need, but its quite handy when used.

Its good protection for those cards which you can see get annihilated by simple things like Mortify and Faith's Fetters. (Not that Faith's Fetters ever stopped the big bad Niv-Mizzet..)

If you can use it, more power to you. I wouldn't go throwing it in every deck that could use protection from deadly sorceries or activated abilities though. Its a good way to keep your sure shot Niv-Mizzet alive. Sim Sky Swallower doesn't need it because it comes with a passive one on it already.

Its quite nice for the cookie cutter Izzet deck due to the fact of Niv pinging you with drawing cards. But it still can be destroyed via Booms or Morts, so it'll last only until the opponent finds it a hindrance.

3/5

Felix Feral Fezirix

Densetsu no Pikachu!
True, a determined opponent would so totally wreck the monster. The plax is just there until he really wants to take it down. Then Disenchant and poof.

I just thought of something crazy. Suppose you have a really big monster on the field and a stack of Saprolings, play the Plax and then shove down Hour of Reckoning. And the game is officially yours.

~RaikouRider243~

Lightning Swordsman
Um, Hour of Reckoning is like Wrath. Shielding Plax doesn't do **** against it. You still get to keep your saprolings though. If you're looking to keep your big monster, look into playing a Loxodon Hierarch beforehand. Hour of Reckoning doesn't stop you from regenerating your creatures.

The_Darkness_Incarnate

+Erratic-Inanity+
True, a determined opponent would so totally wreck the monster. The plax is just there until he really wants to take it down. Then Disenchant and poof.

I just thought of something crazy. Suppose you have a really big monster on the field and a stack of Saprolings, play the Plax and then shove down Hour of Reckoning. And the game is officially yours.

The Plax can be killed, but if they disenchant it, it's a one for one. Except they killed a cantrip, so killing the plax and then the creature is tantamount to double blocking. It's only really something you'd want to do if it'd really swing the game. And you could always protect it with something like a Plaxcaster as well. If they wanted to kill a creature you're determined to protect, they're going to run out of gas by the time they do it. Then you drop another one. :p

klducks

Constipation= Fetish
Killing the Plax first, then the creature would be a bad trade though since really, your opponent is losing 2 cards while the person with the plax is only losing 1 (only the creature cuz the plax is a cantrip)

Suppose you have a really big monster on the field and a stack of Saprolings, play the Plax and then shove down Hour of Reckoning.

If you're playing this on the big monster, then he will also be dying from Hour of Reckoning. Shielding Plax only prevents spells and abilities of the opponent, not your own. Its no Lightning Greaves, but it gets the job done decently.

Felix Feral Fezirix

Densetsu no Pikachu!
Arrr. Maybe I should have added desperate. Determined and desperate.

And I didn't read the card text right. LOL. Sorreh.

The_Darkness_Incarnate

+Erratic-Inanity+
If you're playing this on the big monster, then he will also be dying from Hour of Reckoning. Shielding Plax only prevents spells and abilities of the opponent, not your own. Its no Lightning Greaves, but it gets the job done decently.

Everything but Indestructable, Tokens, and Regenerate dies to Hour of Reckoning. IT'S NOT TARGETING. Though, just a heads up, it's better than greaves indefinitely. The only things Greaves has going for it is the infinite life combo, haste, and interaction with Shikari. Greaves means you can't play your OWN combat tricks. Plax circumvents that, while keeping all the bonuses "Can't be targeted" gives.

There's no drawback to it other than the cost, deck space, and aura-dom of it. I dare you to find one.

Status
Not open for further replies.