• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

MTG COTD: Volrath the Fallen

Status
Not open for further replies.

klducks

Constipation= Fetish
[IMG200]http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/nemesis/volrath_the_fallen.jpg[/IMG200]
Volrath the Fallen - Nemesis. Rare
3BBB: Creature - Legend. Rare.
1B, Discard a creature card from you hand: Volrath the Fallen gets +X/+X until end of turn, where X is the discarded card's converted mana cost.
"I stepped out. I did not step down."

Great card for reanimation. Hi, I'll discard a card, give this guy a big pump. Next turn, I reanimate my creature and swing in for... a lot. 6 for a 6/4 is pretty fair for a creature that can pump itself while it can also help reanimate. Great card overrall for what it's for.

The Duck's Rating: 3/5

M

~-=Mewtwo=-~

What if the converted mana cost is something like XF? Does it gain 1/1?

Its a great card... BBB is kind of steep unless its only mono or dual colour...

klducks

Constipation= Fetish
~-=Mewtwo=-~ said:
What if the converted mana cost is something like XF? Does it gain 1/1?
XF?

If you just mean X, X=0. It's like if you do the bottom card of your library to see who goes first, XBB is always 2. Not 3.

I dont know what the F in XF means though...

Shadow Trainer

Hive Trainer
As klducks said a great card for reanimation, drop a creature like Autochthon Wurm into the grave using Volrath's ability and then use a reanimation spell to bring it back.The only thing holding this card back is the BBB in it's mana cost. 3/5

S

Sergay Wang

Unless you reanimte Volrath himself, I wouldn't run him in reanimator as the discard engine, especially when Careful Study and dozens of other spells can do it much quicker.

Turn 1 Watery Grave- Careful Study discard Akroma and Phantom Nishoba.
Turn 2 Swamp- Life/Death for Phantom/Akroma/Some non-Colossus giant with some kind of evasion.

The alternative to Life/Death is Reanimate and Stitch Together or possibly Footsteps through Goryo. And considering Stitch Together is entirely doable on turn 2, it can really get scary when you see a 6/6 Flying, Hast, Trample, Pro Red & Black Angel coming your way.

And for discarding (regardless of Reanimation), Psychatog and Wild Mongrel do the best.

Volrath is merely a savage in draft. It's big and gets bigger. That's all it is and can do. No trample, no fear, no flying, no evasion at all means it gets chumped for many turns.

OVERALL: 1/5

~RaikouRider243~

Lightning Swordsman
That is the exact reason why you give it an enchantment that gives it trample. Fists of Ironwood would be a good choice in B/G because it's not very expensive. Equipment artifacts are better by the time you accumulate that much mana though.

I don't like this guy mainly because black should be spending more mana on screwing with your opponent's lands/creatures, not summoning big creatures that only attack. 2/5

Status
Not open for further replies.