• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

MTG COTD: Worship

Status
Not open for further replies.

klducks

Constipation= Fetish
[IMG200]http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/uz/worship.jpg[/IMG200][IMG200]http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/7e/worship.jpg[/IMG200][IMG200]http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/8e/worship.jpg[/IMG200][IMG200]http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/9e/worship.jpg[/IMG200]
Worship - Urza's Saga, 7th, 8th, 9th Edition. Rare
3W: Enchantment
Damage that would reduce your life total to less than 1 instead reduces it to 1 if you control a creature.
"Believe in the ideal, not the idol."
-Serra

-----
If you control a creature, damage that would reduce your life total to less than 1 reduces it to 1 instead.
"Believe in the ideal, not the idol."
-Serra

Cool card. This card is better then Blazing Archon since
a) creature removal is more common then enchantment removal
b) shock wont bypass it while it can bypass Blazing Archon
c) white has a lot of prevention so it shouldn't be hard to keep that 1 creature in play.

The Ducks Rating: 3/5

Shadow Trainer

Hive Trainer
A nice card, combo this with Troll Astetic or a creature that can't be target of spells or abilitys and your semi invincible, just watch out for mass removal cards. 3/5

Kaizer

A Shadow of Darkness
As useful as this card may seem, it's really not that great. If you dig down a little below the surface, you see that it has one crucial flaw- it requires you to control a creature to do anything. For this reason alone the card becomes almost trash.

I'll elaborate why: This card prevents you from dying by having your life reduced to 0 because it prevents damage, correct? Well, when you take into account the kind of decks that are most likely to have their life reduced to zero based on damage (well, its actually everyhing, but that's not what I mean), it's decks that lack creatures. That's the cold hard truth, this card gets the biggest use in a deck with fewer creatures, or it would if it weren't for that nasty little creature clause. While it may seem effective in a deck with lots of creatures, it really isn't. If your deck has lots of creatures, then you're using an aggro deck, which shouldn't NEED a card that prevents your life from going to zero, you're deck is too fast for that.

Also, this can't stop Black, therefore, it can't stop its biggest enemy and fails even further at usefulness.

Next, you have to have a creature on the field right? Well, that means your paying for a total of 4+X where X is the cost it takes to keep even one creature on the field. Not so good anymore is it?

That has been a lesson in "looking below the surface." Tune in next time I reply to something where I teach you more basic magic-related logic.

1.3/5
;245;

klducks

Constipation= Fetish
kaizer63 said:
I'll elaborate why: This card prevents you from dying by having your life reduced to 0 because it prevents damage, correct?

Magic Gatherer said:
# Oct 4, 2004 - It reduces your life total to 1, not the damage to 1.
# Oct 4, 2004 - Worship does not prevent damage. It causes some damage to be unable to lower your life total. So any damage rendered useless by Worship was still dealt and is counted by effects that track the amount of damage done to a player. In addition, Worship does not prevent loss of life, so loss of life bypasses Worship.

And sure, this card alone is useless. However, most cards are useless by themselves. Which is why you have 60 cards in a deck, not just 1

Kaizer

A Shadow of Darkness
Ok, it doesn't technically prevent damage, but you don't see my point on why it isn't any good? Yes, most cards in a deck require other cards to help get the job done, but this card isn't compatible with the exact type of deck that needs it. In any deck outside of the one it's designed for it may end up being dead weight. In the deck that it helps the most, it is often dead weight. You see my point now?
;245;

S

Sergay Wang

You've never played Outpost decks, huh?

They used to run Worship in every AGGRO-CONTROL deck since the time Kjeldoran Outpost was printed in Alliance.

That deck ALWAYS had creatures on table and always kept control. And with Worship, it allowed the deck to go aggro even when it was in a bad situation.

i.e. You can attack despite being in kill range of your opponent's next attack. And with instant token generation, even if they Wrathed the table, you could just make another token instantly to save yourself.

The only reason this card is bad is because it prevents damage and not loss of life, so crap like Last Caress still kills you.

It's a good card, you just don't know how to use it properly.

chaoslord

Not...Pigeons....
No, its a fairly bad card overall. Sure, it has the good deck to go into, but I'm sure even One with Nothing will find a deck it fits well into. Anyways, about this card.

It beats red.

Green and white both have enchant destruction, blue has bounce and/or mill as good ways to get around this, and black has loss of life.

Red, on the other hand, doesnt have much to deal with this.

But, anyways, you got creatures out? Ok, if your opponent is playing red, you probably win. Otherwise, the matchup doesnt get too much easier. A lot of well-tuned decks have ways to get rid of enchantments, or, in the case of black, loss of life. Not all, mind you, because Disenchant is now green, and loss of life is harder and harder to find actually being played.

It's hard to give this card a good rating, unless the area you play in fails to have answers to this card.

Short of that, 2/5.

S

Sergay Wang

The difference is, One with Nothing was never in a tournament worthy deck, while Worship has been.

Kaizer

A Shadow of Darkness
You're right, I've never played against most of those old decks; I wasn't playing at the time. However, I never said that the card couldn't find a deck to make it good. I'm glad that it could be made good, it's fun when otherwise bad cards get used. I'm still trying to break Freed from the Real and I do know about the infinite mana combo involving it, I'm just working on tweaking the deck to assure turn 5-6 wins. Fact is, most of the time Worship won't be a good card, and neither will One with Nothing, Freed from the Real, ect.

Another point is that the deck you mentioned was a mixed deck. I know the possibility could come up, but I wasn't rating the card based on a mixed deck type. It should be obvious that without the aggro part of that deck, the card would still be mostly useless and without the outpost, barely even worth it.
;245;

S

Sergay Wang

Worship is being used now in certain T2 versions of Fungus Fire. They use Vitu-Ghazi, the City Tree to replace Dude Ranch and keep control with stuff like Wrath and lots of removal from Sunforger.

Freed from Real combo decks are the same as any infinite mana combo deck using an effect that untaps a creature that can generate more then one mana. i.e. Wirewood Channeler and Pemmin's Aura. Then it finishes them off with some X cost damage spell like Fireball.

Kaizer

A Shadow of Darkness
Freed from Real combo decks are the same as any infinite mana combo deck using an effect that untaps a creature that can generate more then one mana. i.e. Wirewood Channeler and Pemmin's Aura. Then it finishes them off with some X cost damage spell like Fireball.

Yeah, I know that. I've got that whole part of the deck down. It's the consistency and the rest of the deck that's killing me. I've fallen in love with Transmute though. I can fetch any combo piece, or get a useful effect, depending on the situation.

Anyways, I'm giving in on the Worship argument. I see it has potential and that's all that really matters. I still don't think it deserves over a 2.5 though.
;245;

Status
Not open for further replies.