• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

[MTG] Shock Wave, and discussion on a fake card set.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Design is fairly simple. Compare Whipflare

Shock Wave 1RR
Sorcery {U}
Shock Wave deals 2 damage to target player and each creature he or she controls.

-----

That aside, some community set ideas. (I didn't think it would be acceptable to not post a card. If this doesn't work, let me know.) I know that some folks are still into this, even if we don't do it for the Cockatrice league. We need two big things here -- flavor and mechanics. Flavor I'm not going to put much here on and just ask for what people like -- I think that's way wider than the mechanical discussion. For the existing mechanics, look at these links: (1) (2) (3) -- feel free to submit any proposals here. If you want to use new mechanics, submit those, as well.

I can't guarantee, for obvious reasons, that all mechanics will make it to the final set. For instance, we're NOT going to have both undying and persist in the same set, and we are really not likely to run any -1/-1 and any +1/+1 mechanics in the same set. In general, it's very confusing, and as much fun as it might sound, we're probably not going to just design Time Spiral 2.0 or "like Commander, but with booster packs!"

Anyone have any opinions here?

edit: From the main MTG thread on flavor:

a ghost world sounds like a cool place to base a set, and that way we could have some good old colourless thrown in!

Colorless is really weird to run as a theme/mechanic, since it's mostly associated with the Eldrazi (and artifacts, of course -- different types of colorless, or something?), but there's also Ghostfire and similar stuff. For reference, here's everything with "ghost" in its name that currently exists pre-GTC. (Copying this to the other thread.)

So, opinions on running this as a -1/-1 counter based set at the very least? Multicolor possibilities? I'm interested in the idea of slipping in Ghostly Flame and/or Bloodied Ghost, plus possibly Ghostfire and a cycle based around that.

Last edited:

Kamotz

God of Monsters
I think Shockwave is a bit over-powered. It's essentially a Miracled Bonfire for 2. Compare with Rolling Temblor. Same cmc but WAY less of a drawback (that being none). Or Chandra's Fury - same concept(ish), different damage payout...5 cmc.

The Admiral

I was kind of unsure about it, mostly because it does sort of add up to the good half of Pyroclasm (probably by too much) added with half of Shock. It's also exactly half of Flame Wave for less than half its cost.

Maybe 2RR for it?

oh this was here a week ago oops

so yeah i think flavour first, mechanics second is the best way to go about making a set. this is me, a person terrible with flavour, saying this though. i dunno, choosing mechanics and building a world around them seems sort of backwards to me.

DucksGoMooful

Evergreen tail?
What if we did a new tribal set? Not like Innistrad per se but more like Lorwyn (I wasn't playing at the time of Lorwyn so I don't know how that block worked out, but I'm pretty sure it was tribal right?).

yeah lorwyn was tribal. i really like the idea of tribal cards, so that would be fun as well; however i think not just doing lorwyn 2.0 would be difficult, and we'd want to use very few of the same tribes imo. i'd be willing to give it a go.

The Admiral

Well, yeah, we'd have to avoid ******** Faeries. Though, I am kinda partial to a highly tribal block as a start. At least, to have some of it in there.

It would make up for the complete lack of tribal in the pseudo-custom core set I was putting together.

ok well onslaught and lorwyn used elemental, elf, faerie, goblin, giant, kithkin, merfolk, shapeshifter, treefolk, beast, bird, cleric, dragon, illusion, soldier, wizard, zombie, shaman, warrior, rogue, and sliver. so basically i'd like to NOT use those ones lol. then we have like vampire, spirit, human from innistrad as well.

The Admiral

I think we could get away with some of them if they played drastically differently, e.g. Illusions that aren't Mistforms. But I can understand your side, too. And let's definitely not use Slivers.

Also, werewolves. But I was very much not a fan of double-faces, so.

edit: Sand tribal. We should do it. Also I am bad at ideas.

Last edited: