• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

MtG Standard Boros Aggro Deck

CuriousHeartless

Hey, just trying out this section. This is my current deck for when I play. It has gone through a lot of changes, but in the exact version I have it now it has a 3:2 win/loss record. Just looking for some suggestions. I use it mainly for tournaments at my dad's shop, which are almost always standard, so I want to keep this standard. It is mostly an agro deck that focuses on getting things out and then swinging (Though that is the definition of an agro deck, ain't it?).

Total: 63 Cards

Creatures (26)
War Falcon *1
Trained Caracal *1
Warclamp Mastiff *1
Daring Skyjek *1
Skynight Legionnaire *2
Ordruun Veteran *2
Viashino Firstblade *3
Wojek Halberdiers *3
Spark Trooper *3
Tajic, Blade of the Legion *1
Bomber Corps *3
Warmind Infantry *2
Bloodfray Giant *1
Legion Loyalist *2

Enchantments (7)
Oblivion Ring *2
Ethereal Armor *1
Madcap Skills *4

Instants (10)
Zealous Strike *3
Furious Resistance *1
Cursebreak *2
Martial Glory *3
Boros Charm *1

Lands (20)
Plains *8
Mountain *8
Boros Guildgate *4

I'd prefer no suggestions on War Falcon, Trained Caracal, or Warclamp Mastiff because they have proven useful One-drops and both War Falcon and Warclamp Mastiff have actually won me games. Everything else is fair game. I'm also planning on getting an Aurelia, War Leader or two some time later on and am planning on putting her into here.

Kamotz

God of Monsters
Honestly, those 1-drops are the least effective of the R/W 1-drops. Champion of the Parish, Borose Elite, and Stromkirk Noble are ALL better choices.

You have a lot of random 1-ofs and 2-ofs, which really hurts your consistency in drawing. Boros Aggro can be a very fast, tough deck, but consistency is key. You've got a bunch of combat tricks and a minor Enchantments strategy, but you don't want to be doing too many things at once. You really want to figure out which cards are the ones that win the game the most consistent way.

Also, an Aurelia, while good, is actually counter-intuitive for an Aggro deck. She takes WAY too long to come out. And you want to have won already by that time.

You might also want to go up to 21-22 lands. And I always suggest cutting down to 60 cards exactly.

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
Kamotz I think I got this, I run a similar deck (lol joking you know this better than I do). But yeah your running too many 1-ofs, and 2-ofs.

I ran a budgeted Boros aggro deck for a while bfore my current deck (which is just it with green).

Try
Stromkirk Noble
Boros Elite
Legion Loyalist
Champion of the Parish as your 1 drop base.

Lightning Mauler
Burning-Tree Emissary (I'll explain this one in a minute)
These are some of the best aggro 2 drops

3-drops
Frontline Medic
Boros Reckoner
Silverblade Paladin

4 drops
Hellrider
Spark Troopers

Now some of the choices

Burning-Tree Emissary - This card is stupidly good in any aggro deck this uses R/G and is splashable to an extent. You can essentailly play it for free with the mana she gives you and you can play her, into a Lightning Mauler, or you can chain her then combo out into a Mauler.

Only 1-3 Spark Troopers- With only running 20-22 lands you really don't need 4 of anything above 3CMC.

Silverblade Paladin - His soulbind is grat but with him having Double Color in his cost it can be risky to play too many of him. Same with Hellrider, but Hellriders effect is too good to run as a 1-of or even a 2-of.

Hellrider - ok I know his cst is 2RR, but his effect in a Aggro deck is insane, he is hands down the best aggro 4 drop in Standard right now.

Now for non-creature spells,

1 drop really only has Mugging as early game removal but that takes up 1 mana and in aggro that can be very important.

2-drops
Boros Charm
Searing Spear

Boros Charm is that spell that if your running it you need to run 4 combined between main and side, it's just that good.
Same with Searing Spear, 3 damage with no comditions is just to good, can be removal or can hit them for that last bit of life.

Land base

Boros Guildgate
Sacred Foundry
Clifftop Retreat
Cavern of Souls

Boros Guildgate- It's okay if you are able to slow your curve down a turn, which in aggro you really can't afford to, Verdict hits T4 consititently, and if you don't have a Charm in hand then you are screwed.

Sacred Foundry- Probably the best land at Boros disposal, Early game you can afford to take 2 and it lets Clifftop come into play untapped.

Clifftop Retreat- This is a great land with Boros colors. and if all you are running is Boros Colors then this will come into play untapped every game (hopefully).

Cavern of Souls- This is probably the one of the best lands in the game period. Most of your deck will be humans, so always calling Humans will ensure they hit the field.

Sample deck:

Creatures
4x Boros Elite
4x Stromkirk Noble
4x Champion of the Parish
4x Lightning Mauler
3x Silverbalde Paladin
4x Boros Reckoner
3x Hellrider
2x Spark Trooper
2x Tajic, Blade of the Legion

Non-Creature Spells-
4x Boros Charm
4x Searing Spear

Lands-
4x Cavern of Souls
4x Clifftop Retreat
4x Sacred Foundry
2x Boros Guildgate
4x Mountain
4x Plains

This is a sample list that should work. But no promises

CuriousHeartless

Simple melodrama on the 1-drops. They won by being loaded down with stuff so I don't care much for them. I actually thought aurelia cost less mana-wise, but the six mana is too much. I still want one, but not for this deck. Not sure on my ease of getting Champion of the Parish and Stromkirk Noble, but boros Elite is no problem. Lots of people do the 60-card exact suggestion. I understand it, but it doesn't seem to work right for me. I still limit myself, but I doubt I'll do sixty exact.

3rdH0kage, thanks for the deck idea, but Ido want some originality. I qctually was already planning on using Hellrider, I just forgot it was standard. I will be looking at yours as a guide, but availability of some cards and personal style probably mean it will resemble the deck I posted more than the one you suggested. Thankfully my dad owns a card shop, so I can probably easily scrounge up the commons and uncommons easily.

Thanks to both of you.

Kamotz

God of Monsters
60 cards is optimal because it's the minimum. It maxes your chances of drawing the necessary cards. Here's an excerpt from a deckbuilding article that really sums it up:

It always seems really hard, but always stick to 60 cards - resist the temptation to use more! This may seem almost pedantic; after all, the chances of drawing any given card in a 61- or 62-card deck aren't that much lower. They are lower, though, and it's surprisingly noticeable. Here are a few reasons why it's good to be stern and cut it down:

-If you slip to 62, it's easy to slip to 65 once in a while, where the difference is bizarrely huge.

-Most of the time, when people include too many cards, they forget to up the land count to match, and end up getting mana-screwed a hell of a lot.

-Forcing yourself to cut cards will hone the final 60 to be the leanest and meanest of the lot.

-It maximises the chances of drawing one of your best cards, or the key cards of the deck; put another way, it's maximally efficient.

-It's good practice. This sounds like a stupid reason, but it isn't. Being strict with your 60-card limits gets you thinking about what the best cards for a given deck really are, and so increases your understanding of the game.

-Perhaps most subtly, it means that each card in your deck has a known chance of showing up. If all of your decks are the same size, you know that the 2 Righteous Blows in one deck have the same chance of being drawn as the 2 Shocks in another. Once you have a feel for how often a card shows up if you include one, two, three or four copies of it in your 60-card deck, you'll feel much more confident in deciding how many of a card you need.

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
Simple melodrama on the 1-drops. They won by being loaded down with stuff so I don't care much for them. I actually thought aurelia cost less mana-wise, but the six mana is too much. I still want one, but not for this deck. Not sure on my ease of getting Champion of the Parish and Stromkirk Noble, but boros Elite is no problem. Lots of people do the 60-card exact suggestion. I understand it, but it doesn't seem to work right for me. I still limit myself, but I doubt I'll do sixty exact.

3rdH0kage, thanks for the deck idea, but Ido want some originality. I qctually was already planning on using Hellrider, I just forgot it was standard. I will be looking at yours as a guide, but availability of some cards and personal style probably mean it will resemble the deck I posted more than the one you suggested. Thankfully my dad owns a card shop, so I can probably easily scrounge up the commons and uncommons easily.

Thanks to both of you.

It's cool, and you don't always have to run exactly 60 cards (I'mma get yelled at by Kamotz for this). My personal Naya Blitz deck runs 61 cards and I think it's 21 lands. That 1 card is a card that it's effect affects feild state so much that I almost have to have it but it is fine as a 1-of. and I understand deck origanality perfectly, I made that deck up off the top of my head, and I just thought of it. and if your father does own a card shop you def. should be able to get the commons uncommands, and the cheaper rares (Medics are at like 4-5, Noble is at like 3). If you need any help feel free to ask me and I'm sure Kamotz can help.