• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

[MTG-Standard] Howlpack Deck

TylerPhoenix

I'm glad to be back!
So guys, this is my FNM deck, which did pretty well last Friday. Anyone have any opinion on possible changes to it?

Land x 24

9 x Forest
7 x Mountain
4 x Rootbound Crag
2 x Copperline Gorge
2 x Kessig Wolf Run

Creatures x 25

4 x Young Wolf
3 x Reckless Waif
3 x Mayor of Avabruck
3 x Immerwolf
2 x Wolfir Avenger
1 x Mondromen Shaman
1 x Instigator Gang
2 x Daybreak Ranger
1 x Garruk Relentless
2 x Huntsmaster of the Fells
1 x Urabrask The Hidden
2 x Pyreheart Wolf

Other Spells x 11

2 x Moonmist
2 x Full Moon's Rise
1 x Thunderous Wrath
1 x Blessings of Nature
3 x Incinerate
1 x Bower Passage
1 x Feed The Pack

Sideboard

2 x Sacred Wolf
2 x Grafdigger's Cave
2 x Hex Parasite
2 x Thunderbolt
1 x Feed The Pack
1 x Bower Passage
2 x Wolfir Silverheart
1 x Joint Assault
2 x Ancient Grudge

What do you guys think? Any criticism is welcome, and I can explain certain areas and ideas too.

Last edited:

Kamotz

God of Monsters
First and most critical thing in a Werewolf Deck. Have 4 Immerwolf, 4 Mayors, and 4 Moonmist. At least. (yes, I'm aware that 4 is the most, but it's also the least you should be running).

I'd suggest Sideboarding the Daybreak Ranger for decks that have a bigger Flying presence. I'm not a huge fan of Pyreheart in Standard, since it's such a slow card, especially for a wolf deck where you want to be just hitting strong all day. But it's got its uses.

You might want to look into Kruin Outlaw//Terror of Kruin Pass. That's always a solid card. And Briarpack Alpha works great in a tough spot with its Flash-Boost ability.

I'd also suggest using Silverheart main-deck with a Howlgeist. Silverheart is adding 12 power to the field no matter what, and with Howlgeist's ability, he's a 8 or 9 power creature that can't be blocked by something less than himself. Add to that Immerwolf or the Mayor's bonuses and that could be game right there.

TylerPhoenix

I'm glad to be back!
I've tried the Alpha and the Silverheart/Geist Combo. Unfortunately most of the FNM players in my area use morbid effects/Grafdigger's Cage. The undying creatures I have are taken out against them, but it still crushes my strategy. The only reason I don't have 4 Mayor's and some strong cards is money.

i would definitely go 4x reckless waif, 4x mayor, 4x instigator gang, 4x moonmist, 4x immerwolf, 4x huntsmaster. that is the core of the werewolf deck really. wolfir silverheart is maindeck material since it is just so powerful, and i think full moon's rise is only a sideboard card for wraths (and even then you probably only want 1-2). random durdly wolves / werewolves aren't particularly relevant to the deck imo.

Kamotz

God of Monsters
Huntmaster works counter-intuitive to Immerwolf though, doesn't it? It seems that you'd want the Huntmaster transforming back and forth.

Gentleman Skeleton

Could probably stand to use some Birds of Paradise. Wolf Run decks love mana-ramp and they can produce green or red mana which serves to help fix your mana supply. I run no less than two in any green deck that runs additional colors save for my G/W Human deck where Avacyn's Pilgrim serves that purpose. Also, consider sideboarding Inkmoth Nexus. Wren's Wolf Run and Inkmoth Nexus are like penut butter and jelly.

Huntmaster works counter-intuitive to Immerwolf though, doesn't it? It seems that you'd want the Huntmaster transforming back and forth.
it doesn't matter. you're not always going to have huntsmaster and immerwolf down at the same time, and werewolves don't care about being sneaky flipping back and forth; they just want to be on the night side smashing face.

TylerPhoenix

I'm glad to be back!
For me money is a problem. Getting hold of Huntsmasters and more of the flips is a problem, and the deck is still winning. I will change it eventually, as I like some of the ideas and appreciate everyone's views.