• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

[MTG] Synchronous Madness, Bonded Lightning, etc.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
A few more custom designs -- I'll probably just use this one thread for custom cards.

For a lot of these, they're based on mechanics I'm using for a custom set. I'm borrowing arcane/splice from the Kamigawa block, and trying to work out a few new ways to use them, since it was an extremely narrowly-played mechanic and "Arcane" was oft treated just as a creature type, if you catch my drift. There's also just generally a mechanic based on high CMC -- a lot of cards of high CMC are basically just lower-cost cards but with cost reduction effects. Hopefully this still works as I'm intending it to. (The threshold is 7+, and I have no idea how I came to this conclusion right now -- there was a good reason for this at some point, though.)

Synchronous Madness | B
Sorcery | Rare
Each player reveals his or her hand, then discards all cards he or she revealed that share a name with another nonland card another player revealed.

Evolutionary Procession | 1G
Sorcery - Arcane | Uncommon
Search your library for a creature card or land card, then reveal it. Shuffle your library and put that card on top of it.
Draw a card for each card spliced onto Evolutionary Procession.

Bonded Lightning | 2R
Instant - Arcane | Uncommon
Bonded Lightning deals 4 damage to target creature or player. If Bonded Lightning is spliced onto another spell, instead it deals 6 damage to target creature or player.
Splice onto arcane 4RR

Ghastly Servant | 5WW
Creature - Spirit | Uncommon
Ghastly Servant costs 4 less if you have at least two other cards in your hand.
Shadow
3/1

Last edited:

virizionx86

Better than Breloom.
Synchronous Madness would have to cost more due to how pivotal the card could potentially be.

Evolutionary Procession also has to cost slightly more, if only for that second line. A spell with Splice onto Arcane 1 would essentially make this a Diabolic Tutor for creatures and lands only (which green generally wants to play anyway), making this really powerful.

Bonded Lightning doesn't work as worded. Because the effect is added onto another spell, Bonded Lightning itself will never deal the damage; rather, the other spell will. (Note that this also means that the other spell won't be red unless it is already red in the first place.) The only problem is that I don't know how to fix the wording here.

Does white generally get shadow? I don't think it does. But ignoring keyword-color combinations, it seems fine, if not a bit overcosted. But then again, the extremely high mana cost of this guy may very well answer the question first posed for this card.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Synchronous Madness would have to cost more due to how pivotal the card could potentially be.

This one's kind of difficult for me, as I'm basically going for something on par with Inquisition of Kozilek, Duress, etc. -- it reasonably probably should cost more, especially if it's hitting multiple cards. (Actually, very specifically, I was going for something based on Cabal Therapy, which does also have the above problem.) Yeah, this in general might be kind of a... difficult one.

Evolutionary Procession also has to cost slightly more, if only for that second line. A spell with Splice onto Arcane 1 would essentially make this a Diabolic Tutor for creatures and lands only (which green generally wants to play anyway), making this really powerful.

Also fair enough. I might be basing it a little on Worldly Tutor and adjusting cost and timing to make it not so highly powered (though the effect is actually on Living Wish). If it's set to "Draw a card," though, it's approx. Eladamri's Call or Sylvan Scrying for 1G + Splice cost. Yeah, I think that raising the cost and[/or?] adjusting the effect would be a good idea.

Bonded Lightning doesn't work as worded. Because the effect is added onto another spell, Bonded Lightning itself will never deal the damage; rather, the other spell will. (Note that this also means that the other spell won't be red unless it is already red in the first place.) The only problem is that I don't know how to fix the wording here.

If the wording is changed to "this" instead of "it," it might work (i.e. to have Bonded Lightning as the source), but it would count as a red card in the hand -- which it probably would have anyway. I'm not even sure if it would work that way, either. Does this function similar to a spliced Glacial Ray?

Does white generally get shadow? I don't think it does. But ignoring keyword-color combinations, it seems fine, if not a bit overcosted. But then again, the extremely high mana cost of this guy may very well answer the question first posed for this card.

Shadow is traditionally white/blue/black in Time Spiral and Tempest, with maybe a few stray examples (not counting multicolor -- and there are no green cards at all that get shadow; green and red both get the reach equivalent, and there's the RW Soltari Guerrillas as the only red permanent with shadow). The basic effect is supposed to be to have what basically is a white Latch Seeker, and it also fits in with one card that checks for CMC 7+ on creatures and on spells. (The cost-reduction effect is there to make it usually be reasonably costed, and I think that just using a straight "~'s CMC is 7" effect is just not very good. Granted, this also doesn't always work.)

Yeah, this one leans a lot on block placement and ordinarily could probably get off at 1WW as just a french vanilla which happens to have shadow.