• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

[MTG] Two random red cards and Kiora Atua

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Here's three new things I've... well, mostly completed. Images are linked.

(no name) | R
Creature - Goblin Shaman
Cascade
1/1 | Common

Resonate | XRRR
Instant
Whenever a spell is copied by Resonate, you may choose new targets for the copy.
Choose one -- Copy X target nonpermanent spells; or copy target nonpermanent spell X times.
Cycling 2RR
When you cycle Resonate, you may copy target nonpermanent spell.
Rare

Kiora Atua | 2UG
Planeswalker - Kiora
+2: Target land you control gains “T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.” (This effect lasts indefinitely.)
-2: Search your library for a creature card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
-11: Put any number of creature cards from your hand onto the battlefield.
ST: 3 | Mythic

virizionx86

Better than Breloom.
(no name) - Should be at least uncommon. Cascade is a wonky, beginner-unfriendly mechanic to begin with, and not to mention, there aren't a lot of 0 CMC nonland cards out there for a red deck to use to begin with.

Resonate - Unfortunately, this doesn't work within the rules for two reasons. Both have to do with the first ability.
a. Triggered abilities start with "when", "whenever", or "at". By the time you've copied a spell with Resonate, you will have already chosen targets (if any). You can't change those chosen targets once they've been declared.
b. By the time you've cycled Resonate, the Resonate card will have already been in the graveyard and no longer on the stack. This means the first ability won't be able to refer to itself at all. Instead, I suggest the following wording:

Resonate [XRRR]
Choose one - Copy X target instant or sorcery spells; or copy target instant or sorcery spell X times. You may choose new targets for each copy.
Cycling 2RR
When you cycle Resonate, you may copy target instant or sorcery spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.

Rarity is fine.

Kiora Atua - The first ability doesn't really seem synergistic with the other two abilities. Not to mention, permanent mana-fixing (no pun intended) for +2 seems really strong. There are also memory issues that arise from players not being able to remember which land was given the mana-fixing ability.
The other two abilities seem fine, as with the starting loyalty.

All in all, these cards seem very good, much more elegant than any I would've been able to come up with. A little fixing of the rules caveats and you'll be good.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
(no name) - Should be at least uncommon. Cascade is a wonky, beginner-unfriendly mechanic to begin with, and not to mention, there aren't a lot of 0 CMC nonland cards out there for a red deck to use to begin with.

Fair enough. This was a weird one for me -- I think I left it at common since its ability seems like it'd mostly be "When ~ enters the battlefield, shuffle your library," which is probably strictly worse than Mons's Goblin Raiders.

Resonate - Unfortunately, this doesn't work within the rules for two reasons. Both have to do with the first ability.
a. Triggered abilities start with "when", "whenever", or "at". By the time you've copied a spell with Resonate, you will have already chosen targets (if any). You can't change those chosen targets once they've been declared.
b. By the time you've cycled Resonate, the Resonate card will have already been in the graveyard and no longer on the stack. This means the first ability won't be able to refer to itself at all. Instead, I suggest the following wording:

Resonate [XRRR]
Choose one - Copy X target instant or sorcery spells; or copy target instant or sorcery spell X times. You may choose new targets for each copy.
Cycling 2RR
When you cycle Resonate, you may copy target instant or sorcery spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.

Rarity is fine.

Fair. I think I did this for space. Same basic idea, at least.

Kiora Atua - The first ability doesn't really seem synergistic with the other two abilities. Not to mention, permanent mana-fixing (no pun intended) for +2 seems really strong. There are also memory issues that arise from players not being able to remember which land was given the mana-fixing ability.
The other two abilities seem fine, as with the starting loyalty.

True -- the second ability doesn't jive with the other two, but I wanted a mana support ability for her, but wasn't sure that searching up lands was the best choice. I based this a lot off her Duels of the Planeswalkers (2012) deck, which ramps up mana really fast for high-cost creators. As far as duration... mark it with counters, I guess? Here's a list of some other cards including "(This effect lasts indefinitely.)". Other than the ones involving control... (And yes, I guess a lot of these are based on things that are meant to be short.)

virizionx86

Better than Breloom.
Fair enough. This was a weird one for me -- I think I left it at common since its ability seems like it'd mostly be "When ~ enters the battlefield, shuffle your library," which is probably strictly worse than Mons's Goblin Raiders.

When designing cards, remember that just because an action may have undesired results doesn't mean that it's strictly worse. In your case, just because shuffling your library may mean that your awesome four Lightning Bolts become scattered instead of on top of your library one after the other, it doesn't mean that the card is strictly worse than Mons's Goblin Raiders. In fact, most of the time this would be "beneficial", as many times your cards are scattered and you may want to shuffle your library willingly.

Fair. I think I did this for space. Same basic idea, at least.

Awesome. You might want to add a U or two among the mana and cycling costs.

True -- the second ability doesn't jive with the other two, but I wanted a mana support ability for her, but wasn't sure that searching up lands was the best choice. I based this a lot off her Duels of the Planeswalkers (2012) deck, which ramps up mana really fast for high-cost creators. As far as duration... mark it with counters, I guess? Here's a list of some other cards including "(This effect lasts indefinitely.)". Other than the ones involving control... (And yes, I guess a lot of these are based on things that are meant to be short.)[/QUOTE]

Having to use physical objects to alleviate memory issues, while not improper or bad, is a sign of a card that could be designed more elegantly. Perhaps a "+1: Search your library for a basic land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped" should be in order. With the meager loyalty increase, it allows you to thin out your deck even more so that you have greater chances of drawing the creature you need without using her -2 ability.