• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Multi-Hit or Move of the same power?

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
This question has riddled me for as long as bonemerang's existed.

Every set I see always lists these over those

Earthquake over Bonemerang
Dragon Claw over Dual Chop
etc.

Moves with the same base power (100 for earthquake, and 2 50s for Bonemerang, 80 for Dragon Claw, and 2 40s for Dual Chop).

Now why is one better than the other? the 90% Accuracy is the only bad point I see, but that doesn't stop people from using Heat Wave over Fire Blast.

now figuring in STAB, doesn't Bonemerang do more damage than Earthquake, in addition to breaking Subs? (or they might be similar due to Earthquake's STAB). And Bonemerang has the joy of not hitting your partner in Doubles.

It seems the Benifits outweigh the disadvantages.

So my question to you all is

Multi-Hit or 1 Shot?

Regarde

Banned
umm no the benefits generally do not outweigh the 90% accuracy. the heat wave example is terrible, nothing that gets fire blast will use heat wave

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
now figuring in STAB, doesn't Bonemerang do more damage than Earthquake, in addition to breaking Subs? NO (or they might be similar due to Earthquake's STAB). And Bonemerang has the joy of not hitting your partner in Doubles.

Earthquake STAB: 100*1.5= 150

boomerang STAB: 50*1.5 + 50*1.5 = 75+75 = 150 (OMG!!! they do the same damage after STAB!) excuse my sarcasm, I got a final in 4 hours

This isnt the greatest example because marowak is the only poke with that move. but as you see you get the same damage in one turn, assuming 2 hits. so such an example is pretty situational. also if you use it in doubles, you miss out on hitting multiple pokemon. most teams already work out a way to avoid friendly fire (you can use the turn to stall with protect for extra poison/ leftovers heal). skill link pokes can use the multihits well because they are guaranteed 5 hits.

BTW heat wave IS used over fire blast...in doubles

Zachmac

I use dragon claw over dual chop for accuracy. Anyway...
Dragon Claw 100att.vs.100def. 87-103
Dual Chop 100att vs. 100def. 1 Hit= 43 to 52 damage. 2 Hits=86-104 damage.

Dual chop can do...1 more damage with stab and these base stats. Not worth the accuracy in my opinion.
Now why is one better than the other? the 90% Accuracy is the only bad point I see, but that doesn't stop people from using Heat Wave over Fire Blast.
Actually, it does in singles. Flamethrower>Heat Wave. If they want that power, they use Flame Thrower.

Anyway, FB has 120 power. 120>100.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Provided that you're talking about things like Dual Chop and Double Kick rather than Triple Kick and Doubleslap, yeah, multi-hits are better. Are they less accurate? Yes. Do people still use Stone Miss and complain when it lives up to its name? Hell yes.

Personally, I'd say breaking Sashes, Subs, and type-resist Berries is worth it.

Aquadon

TCG Trainer
Depending on what Pokemon you use, it could be better to use the multi-hit moves as opposed to the usual. If you're looking for a Sub breaker, then Multi-hit moves like Dual Chop or Double Hit are very good. In fact, Technician Ambipom's Double Hit is almost as strong as Return if it hits twice; imagine half that power aimed at a Sub.

Certain times though, you just want to go for the Pure Power and Accuracy. Skill Linkers are really what the multi-hit moves are for anyways.

Xman96

Fighting Leader
I feel ashamed to say this, but even after using Cloyster I din't realize what skill link did. I thought that it just powered up multi0hit attacks, and I was wondering why they would always hit 5 times...yeah I looked it up and felt stupid. I think that in certain situations like the ones listed above the multi-hit are better. However, I already hate taking a chance with Miss Edge. I really hate it when that darn thing misses. That is precisly why Flamethrower>Fire Blast for me. I hate missing.

Derp

[Something funny]
I would use the non-multi hit move as it's that same and most of them have better Accuracy then the multi hit move.

The only time I would use them is if the Pokemon had Skill Link.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
I just find using my Garchomp's Dual Chop seems to work better than Dragon Claw (I hate being locked into Outrage), and Everyone I battle uses at least 1 pokemon with the Focus Sash (Usually a lead, and thus not expecting a Dual Chop) and I especially like the Sub Breaking.

Tbird

Nice shot, man
If they have the same power but different accuracy then you'll go for the accuracy every time. The point being here that not every one runs a substitute. You can see whole teams that lack substitute, and then you're at a disadvantage.

The lack of accuracy also means that you're potentially at a disadvantage 2/3 times. You could miss all together, or hit but only deal half damage with a miss on the second turn.

Zachmac

Another argument concerning accuracy is the SandVeil+Paralysis. If you are in that situation, would you want to earthquake or bonemerang?

Tbird

Nice shot, man
Another argument concerning accuracy is the SandVeil+Paralysis. If you are in that situation, would you want to earthquake or bonemerang?

I'd want to switch out pronto and bring in someone with Swift instantly :p