• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Multiple Legendary Pokémon

Truly Deceptive

It is I: ME!
Multiple Legendary Pokémon

I've decided to compile a list - a record of all the Legendary Pokémon for which there is a likelihood for there to be more than one individual of a species, in addition to descriptions entailing why. Do not read all of it unless you like extensive, copious reading. This thread was created for everyone to discuss what they think about the number of different Legendaries they think may exist and why.

Articuno - found in Kanto, Sinnoh, and Kalos; canonically another in Orre (which was, furthermore, given a National Ribbon upon Purification); also, Oblivia.
Zapdos - found in Kanto, Sinnoh, and Kalos; canonically another in Orre (which was, furthermore, given a National Ribbon upon Purification); also, Oblivia.
Moltres - found in Kanto, Sinnoh, and Kalos; canonically another in Orre (which was, furthermore, given a National Ribbon upon Purification); also, Oblivia.
Mewtwo - one discovered in Kanto and in Kalos (multiple clones?); another still in Oblivia.
Mew - found at Faraway Island; presumably another specimen discovered and taken to the Pokémon Mansion for experimentation (yet another one owned at Hayley's Ranch); yet another found in Fiore, and in Oblivia in the past; conceivably the common ancestor to all others (or, at least, those which are not Legendary) with more than one living individual of the species.
Raikou - found roaming Johto (another, perhaps, in Kanto throughout FireRed and LeafGreen); another Purified in Orre; yet another in Fiore and Oblivia.
Entei - found roaming Johto (another, perhaps, in Kanto throughout FireRed and LeafGreen); another Purified in Orre; yet another in Fiore and Oblivia.
Suicune - found traversing across regions, from Johto to Kanto (another, perhaps, in Kanto during FireRed and LeafGreen); another Purified in Orre; yet another in Fiore and Oblivia.
Lugia - one specimen captured in Johto at the Whirl Islands; another caught from Cipher and Purified in Orre; perhaps another located in Oblivia.
Ho-Oh - found in Johto, guarding the nation upon the the Bell Tower; another in Orre, given to Wes by Mt. Battle; another still in Oblivia.
Celebi - maybe more than one (found in Fiore, Almia, Johto, and Orre, and presumedly did not travel back and forth across space and time - not just one ubiquitous individual)?
Regirock - located in Fiore, Almia, Hoenn, and Unova (created by Regigigas, of which there are likely more than one).
Regice - located in Fiore, Almia, Hoenn, and Unova (created by Regigigas, of which there are likely more than one).
Registeel - located in Fiore, Almia, Hoenn, and Unova (created by Regigigas, of which there are likely more than one).
Latias - inhabits the Southern Isle, Hoenn, Oblivia, and Unova; also found in Kanto (HeartGold).
Latios - inhabits the Southern Isle, Hoenn, Oblivia, and Unova; also found in Kanto (SoulSilver).
Kyogre - found in Hoenn, Johto, and Fiore.
Groudon - found in Hoenn, Johto, and Fiore.
Rayquaza - found in Hoenn, Johto, and Fiore.
Jirachi - unknown.
Deoxys - located at Birth Island, Fiore, and the Odd Temple in Oblivia (potentially more outside the bounds of the world).
Uxie - proven to exist in Sinnoh and (surmisedly another) in the Cave of Being.
Mesprit - proven to exist in Sinnoh and (surmisedly another) in the Cave of Being.
Azelf - proven to exist in Sinnoh and (surmisedly another) in the Cave of Being.
Dialga - only one unless another of the species was also created at Sinjoh Ruins.
Palkia - only one unless another of the species was also created at Sinjoh Ruins.
Heatran - found in Sinnoh, Almia, Oblivia, and Unova.
Regigigas - found in Sinnoh, Almia, Oblivia, and Unova.
Giratina - only one unless another of the species was also created at Sinjoh Ruins.
Cresselia - found in Sinnoh, Almia, and Unova.
Manaphy - more than one Manaphy Egg has been discovered.
Darkrai - confirmed to be in Sinnoh (at Newmoon Island) and another in Almia.
Shaymin - confirmed to live in Sinnoh, Almia, and Oblivia (the same specimen might have migrated from one region to another).
Arceus - only one.
Victini - only one specimen ever recorded.
Cobalion - at least one (likely "only one" for the meanwhile).
Terrakion - at least one (likely "only one" for the meanwhile).
Virizion - at least one (likely "only one" for the meanwhile).
Tornadus - only one specimen ever recorded.
Thundurus - only one specimen ever recorded.
Reshiram - only one.
Zekrom - only one.
Landorus - only one specimen ever recorded.
Kyurem - only one.
Keldeo - only one specimen ever recorded (probably "only one" for the meanwhile).
Meloetta - only one specimen ever recorded.
Genesect - unknown (Team Plasma experimented on and modified at least one; only they would know).
Xerneas - presumedly only one.
Yveltal - presumedly only one.
Zygarde - unknown.
Diancie - unknown.
Volcanion - unknown.
Hoopa - unknown.

I once would have thought that, in accordance with the mechanics of the games (seeing how there was only one of each Legendary to be attained per each game), there was only one of each Legendary that could have possibly existed in the story of the games canonically. However, lately I've mused over the fact that different Legendary Pokémon could be captured at different locations (and, since the plot can't be inconsistent with itself, it creates new possibilities; while breaking the connotations which entail the rarity of those Legendaries as being absolutely and indubitably unique, it creates a new premise of the existence of more than one of certain deemed Legendary species). For example: is there an opportunity - a potentiality - that there might have been more than one Mewtwo? What if there had been more than one genetically altered Mew clone (multiple instances of this new species to which it had given birth) conceived - bred forth by the machinations and experimentations that were conducted by Dr. Fuji? What means did Cipher contrive/devise to attain Kanto's once considered Legendary Birds, or Johto's Legendary Beasts some 10 years prior (much less a Lugia, a species of a nature that was once thought exclusive to Johto)? How is it that a specimen of Mew (thought to have been unique - as if there had only been one which had served as the shared ancestor to all Pokémon species) could be taken from a faraway isle to be experimented upon, while at least one other is by said isle retained to be discovered and captured by the Champion of Hoenn however many years later? How are there other collections of Legendary Pokémon far away, such as the guardians of Sinnoh's Lakes, Hoenn's trio of automatons, or the birds of Kanto, reallocated (as it would seem) - to be found upon some distant region? Furthermore, what of the Legendaries which are known to inhabit the regions of Fiore, Almia, and Oblivia? Are they, likewise, deemed to be the same - the same individual of their species as that which was proven to exist far away?

TL; DR (you lazy-@#$ pansy): there must be more than one per species of some of these.

Feel free to discuss it.

Last edited:
Regirock - located in Fiore, Almia, Hoenn, and Unova (assumed to be synthetic; man-made).
Regice - located in Fiore, Almia, Hoenn, and Unova (assumed to be synthetic; man-made).
Registeel - located in Fiore, Almia, Hoenn, and Unova (assumed to be synthetic; man-made).

I think Regigigas made them.

Yep, http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Regigigas (Pokédex entries)

EDIT: We actually don't know if some of the legendarys found in several places, is moving from one place to another. For example, the legendary birds have wings, and can fly between Kalos, Sinnoh and Kanto whenever they want.

Last edited:

Hpfm2

I assume the Mewtwo from Kalos is the same we found all those years ago in Kanto. I also don't count the spin-off games- ranger, Mystery dungeon. As far as I know, those games are set in an alternative reality.

Truly Deceptive

I don't include Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, but Pokémon Ranger is most definitely within the same world. The events from which you get Manaphy (and Almia's Darkrai, and Oblivia's Shaymin, Heatran, and Deoxys) involve the people from those games and the main series games directly interacting.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
I don't include Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, but Pokémon Ranger is most definitely within the same world. The events from which you get Manaphy (and Almia's Darkrai, and Oblivia's Shaymin, Heatran, and Deoxys) involve the people from those games and the main series games directly interacting.

Few things.

Considering that there are infinite Deoxys in the Odd Temple, there are more of them.
Phione can be gotten infinitely, but you did not include it.
Darkrai from Almia is different as from Sinnoh.
Multiple Shaymin confirmed.

Other then that, it seems fine.

Truly Deceptive

Few things.

Considering that there are infinite Deoxys in the Odd Temple, there are more of them.
Phione can be gotten infinitely, but you did not include it.
Darkrai from Almia is different as from Sinnoh.
Multiple Shaymin confirmed.

Other then that, it seems fine.

Phione may or may not be a Legendary, and everyone knows there are more than just one of it, so I figured everyone knew and it consequently doesn't even matter; there's nothing to either prove or disprove that the Darkrai from Almia is the same one as or different from the one from Sinnoh (although it probably is different to the one from Sinnoh), there are likely more than one Deoxys (but there's only one that was found in the Odd Temple, though there still is one which is probably different from it found on Birth Island), and I haven't heard multiple Shaymin to be confirmed for certain, so I'll look into that; thanks.

Also, you meant to type "other than that"...

Still open to what anyone thinks about it.

Last edited:

Sohryu

Be a Man!
I think you're right. Considering the game's timeline, too, being just 2 years of difference between some (and some games events occurs at the same time as others). It's a pretty good thesis, really.
I guess we do have multiple legendaries.
But what about the manga? Are they not worth to be taken in consideration? If so, why?

EDIT: We actually don't know if some of the legendarys found in several places, is moving from one place to another. For example, the legendary birds have wings, and can fly between Kalos, Sinnoh and Kanto whenever they want.

What if they were captured? The "player" have not captured them?

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Phione may or may not be a Legendary, and everyone knows there are more than just one of it, so I figured everyone knew and it consequently doesn't even matter; there's nothing to either prove or disprove that the Darkrai from Almia is the same one as or different from the one from Sinnoh (although it probably is different to the one from Sinnoh), there are likely more than one Deoxys (but there's only one that was found in the Odd Temple, though there still is one which is probably different from it found on Birth Island), and I haven't heard multiple Shaymin to be confirmed for certain, so I'll look into that; thanks.

Also, you meant to type "other than that"...

Still open to what anyone thinks about it.

No, it's specifically stated after you finish the Deoxys Mission that there remain more inside the Temple, and said Temple and Deoxys can be gotten an infinite amount of.

I know of Phione's ambiguity, however, I consider it to be a Legendary at the moment, since it's most recent information (the Pokémon Power Bracket) pretty much confirms that at least now, it is a Legendary, so it should be included, at least.

The one from Almia knows different Moves than normal, and the New Moon Darkrai can still be accessed with Almia Darkrai, and it was said that the Almia Darkrai had always remained in Chroma Highlands, protecting the Shadow Crystal, making it impossible to be in two places at once.

When Shaymin is found, it is commonly reffered to as a Shaymin, not simply Shaymin or the Shaymin, implying there are more than one, at least.

Truly Deceptive

No, it's specifically stated after you finish the Deoxys Mission that there remain more inside the Temple, and said Temple and Deoxys can be gotten an infinite amount of.

I know of Phione's ambiguity, however, I consider it to be a Legendary at the moment, since it's most recent information (the Pokémon Power Bracket) pretty much confirms that at least now, it is a Legendary, so it should be included, at least.

The one from Almia knows different Moves than normal, and the New Moon Darkrai can still be accessed with Almia Darkrai, and it was said that the Almia Darkrai had always remained in Chroma Highlands, protecting the Shadow Crystal, making it impossible to be in two places at once.

When Shaymin is found, it is commonly reffered to as a Shaymin, not simply Shaymin or the Shaymin, implying there are more than one, at least.

I'm not referring to how many can be gotten by a player for Deoxys, or what the game says; I'm referring to how many there are canonically (I thought there was only one there story-wise; you'd just be repeating the same mission in the story of the game to get more game-wise).

I had completely forgotten that the Guardians of Almia's Crystals had been assigned to protect them for their entire lives up to that point.

You're probably right about Shaymin, upon thinking about it.

Oh; also, the mere fact that there were Legendaries in Orre which Cipher turned into Shadow Pokémon in Orre (and, perhaps, even Ho-Oh simply being in Orre) essentially proves that there has to be more than one of each of those canonically (they each get National Ribbons and such; also, in XD, they have certain moves).

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
I'm not referring to how many can be gotten by a player for Deoxys, or what the game says; I'm referring to how many there are canonically (I thought there was only one there story-wise; you'd just be repeating the same mission in the story of the game to get more game-wise).

I had completely forgotten that the Guardians of Almia's Crystals had been assigned to protect them for their entire lives up to that point.

You're probably right about Shaymin, upon thinking about it.

Oh; also, the mere fact that there were Legendaries in Orre which Cipher turned into Shadow Pokémon in Orre (and, perhaps, even Ho-Oh simply being in Orre) essentially proves that there has to be more than one of each of those canonically (they each get National Ribbons and such; also, in XD, they have certain moves).

Because the game itself tells you there are more it is canon more exist, no matter how the Mission plays out.
They also know different Moves from standard Deoxys depending on the Forme received, which further proves it.

Regarding Orre, that would mean Celebi, too, has multiples.

So, that solely leaves Jirachi.
Clamperl'z, why can't that thing be in a game.

Truly Deceptive

But that Celebi might be the same individual (it might have lost the moves it had from that event or not yet had them at the time, although the event is canon because the Celebi from that event interacts with the characters in the plot of the games, it could have lost those moves or not had them at a certain point during which it wasn't owned by the protagonist of HeartGold/SoulSilver); unless Game Freak ever explicitly tells us that there are more than one, it might just be the same Celebi (just from a different time).

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
But that Celebi might be the same individual (it might have lost the moves it had from that event or not yet had them at the time, although the event is canon because the Celebi from that event interacts with the characters in the plot of the games, it could have lost those moves or not had them at a certain point during which it wasn't owned by the protagonist of HeartGold/SoulSilver); unless Game Freak ever explicitly tells us that there are more than one, it might just be the same Celebi (just from a different time).

That seems rather unlikely, and if so, then Dialga may simply be the same from Mystri Stage that has traveled back in time to the past to start time to flow, although, this and Celebi starts a paradox so I'll just drop the subject before I go too much into this.

Truly Deceptive

No; you outright see a new one explicitly born/created from an Egg. If that had been the case, the Palkia that already exists could have teleported to be at that place, too. Also, you know it can't be the same one because the world had already been created, and, if it was the original, the world wouldn't have existed for Sinjoh Ruins to be there, and the player character wouldn't have existed to witness that event or have caught Arceus; it would have just been Arceus and the trio in nothing. Also, we don't know whether or not Palkia can travel across space or Dialga across time; we just know that they create and can warp it (they can create it, send other things through it, and twist and bend it). On the other hand, there is a chance that Celebi could be the same one (just at a different point; I'd hope not, but I don't know if there's a way to be absolutely sure that the one from Orre is different from the one from Johto), although you do have a point: Jirachi hasn't ever really been involved in any in-game plot-tied events.

Ace Kenshader

Dreaming sexy
I think you're right. Considering the game's timeline, too, being just 2 years of difference between some (and some games events occurs at the same time as others). It's a pretty good thesis, really.
I guess we do have multiple legendaries.
But what about the manga? Are they not worth to be taken in consideration? If so, why?

Truth be told I always figured there'd be more then one -insert legendary pokemon name here-, since like all other forms of life they will likely procreate at some point in their lifetime.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Heatran - found in Sinnoh and Oblivia

There's also one in B2/W2 Unova in the mountain left of Undella Bay (forget the name) after you have gotten the Magma Stone

Anyways, is it possible that canonically, the player has NOT captured some of the Legendaries? For example, maybe Red or Leaf did not capture the bird trio, who then went on to Sinnoh, but were also not captured by either Lucas or Dawn, then also went to Kalos, and are yet to be captured by Calem/Serena? If so, what's the reason for them leaving and going to other regions? iirc in Platinum, Professor Oak told you why Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres had left Kanto and came to Sinnoh. What were the reason for the Regis to go from Hoenn to Sinnoh to Unova? What about the Pixie trio from Sinnoh to Unova?

If the player of does capture the Legendaries, does Arceus create new ones like it did Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina? Or are there simply just a whole bunch of these Legendaries but only one shows itself to the world at a time?

For Mewtwo and Genesect though, I don't think there's any reason to question why there are more than one. They're clones, and as long as you has the right amount of DNA and have the correct formula or whatnot, you can keep on making clones... Also, you need money for funding these operations, but everyone gets free healthcare, so I guess money is of no issue in the world of Pokémon.

Last edited:

jrmftw

Green Dragon Trainer
If you count Pokedex entries, Entei should have multiples since it is said to be born when ever a volcano appears,implying one would have to be born in Hoenn at Mt. Chimney.
I think raikou is also descended from lighting, so it should have lots of multiples in that case.

TheShinyMedicham

Grass Trainer
The Genie trio are found both in-game in BW and in the Dream Radar. Not sure if that counts though.

Truly Deceptive

If you count Pokedex entries, Entei should have multiples since it is said to be born when ever a volcano appears,implying one would have to be born in Hoenn at Mt. Chimney.
I think raikou is also descended from lighting, so it should have lots of multiples in that case.

Of course, it claims one is born whenever an active volcano is created; it doesn't necessarily need to have been born at that specific location or lived there for its entire life (also keep in mind that these are apocryphal rumors).

Mew The Gato

Of course, it claims one is born whenever an active volcano is created; it doesn't necessarily need to have been born at that specific location or lived there for its entire life (also keep in mind that these are apocryphal rumors).

Of course, we know how trustworthy the Pokédex is. That is, not very. For example, in Pokémon Rangers Guardian Signs, you can make Entei Roar right outside the volcano. Does it blow up? No. You would think that it shall blow up sometime, considering that you can make Entei Roar unlimited times.

Sethern

[Insert Cool Title]
With these, you have to remember the games sometimes conflict with eachother. You can get multiple mewtwo, which is a one Pokemon. If you go of of the Animr, you see multiple of some Pokemon. Ligia for example. Then multiple latios and latias. Some like celebi are unknown to me, because I believe it's the same one over multiple times. So according to that, some legendary Pokemon are little more than, powerful rare Pokemon.