• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Muramasa: Demon Blade

Cobalt_Latios

What with everything else coming out (Scribblenauts, Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, HGSS coverage...), and with me actually being preoccupied with school work for once, I completely forgot about this game.

For those of you who probably didn't get the memo, it's a sidescroller type game for Wii that has some very nice Japanese art (along with spoken Japanese dialogue on top of English subtitles...), in which you're basically attacking hordes of either creatures, ninjas, powerful samurais, you know; the generic type of Japanese styled enemies you'd expect.

So far, I decided to finally go out and rent it, and I've actually been enjoying it. It mixes a bit of an RPG flair with it, in that later on, you can make your own swords, do cooking, restore your health with pickup items, level up to wield even more powerful swords... stuff like that.

I really do hope I'm not the only one who decided to try out this unique game.

Oh, and one last thing: it supporst Wiimote+Nunchuk, Classic Controller, and GameCube controller. Just thought you ought to know. Yes, no waggling!

<C_L>

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Oh, this?

Can someone tell me what the game is about? All I actually know about is from the cover of a game magazine (admittingly not the best source), which showed what appeared to be a naked female with a sword in the midst of being assaulted by tentacles.

Yeah.

Cobalt_Latios

Oh, this?

Can someone tell me what the game is about? All I actually know about is from the cover of a game magazine (admittingly not the best source), which showed what appeared to be a naked female with a sword in the midst of being assaulted by tentacles.

Yeah.
Oo...kay...

Well, I happen to have both the issue of NP where they preview it and the review, so I'll be happy to upload those for anyone who wants it.

Or... you could just google it. It's up to you. I didn't really bother playing for story, just that it looked great, and the battle mechanics are pretty decent. Not to mention the artwork is... unique, to say the least.

edit: preview/preview

<C_L>

Last edited:

Waldorf

ungrateful
It looks like a very pretty beat-'em-up. Not a whole lot of depth or merit, but I might get it if I find the time to play it in the first place...

Momohime is ridiculously hot, but I hear her story and moves are much less interesting/useful than Kisuke's.

Cobalt_Latios

It looks like a very pretty beat-'em-up. Not a whole lot of depth or merit, but I might get it if I find the time to play it in the first place...
It is beat-em up to some extent, but it does it very well. I find that racking up combo's is something you'll definitely want to be striving for as you take down enemies (even though they don't differ much at times, attempting to get the highest combo is rather fun).

Momohime is ridiculously hot, but I hear her story and moves are much less interesting/useful than Kisuke's.
So true. I'll also mention that Kisuke's face reminds me so much of L. But... I haven't gotten that far yet to know more.

<C_L>

ViewtifulJoe

Hero of Movie Land
I've seen the tentacle picture before on Gamefaqs...it was interesting.

Anyway, if you want to know about the gameplay, I think the first post covers how it works. You fight demons, Gods, samurai, you can have new swords crafted for you, fix broken swords, cook foods to heal you, etc.

If you want to know about the gameplay, there are the main characters Kisuke and Momohime. Kisuke is a ninja who lost his memory, being hunted down by his former ninja companions who things he's a traitor. Though he finds his lost memories related to a stolen blade. Momohime is a princess who took took a sword strike that wasn't meant for her. She awoke at the gates of hell, unharmed. At first, she thought the was dead. However, she had somehow survived, and her body was possessed by the spirit of a swordsman, Jinzuro Izuna.

The game's name and one of its characters comes from Sengo Muramasa, a swordsman from Japan's history who was said to have made evil blades that wouldn't return to their scabbard until they drew blood. He builds and repairs your swords.

Please, a character with sex appeal doesn't need backstory or logic or proper awesome. Don't you know anything about marketing?

I don't really care much about this game, but then, I also don't have a Wii, and the blatantly sexual aspects aren't exactly attracting me to the game. I'd be too busy asking if the trip was really necessary, since it doesn't seem... relevant.

(Yeah, and I said Persona 4 was one of my favorite games of all time and that uses large amounts of sexual themes. What gives?, you might ask. I don't see a major plot relevance to it in Muramasa, going from what people tell me, but in Persona 4, it's very important, believe it or not!)

Cobalt_Latios

Please, a character with sex appeal doesn't need backstory or logic or proper awesome. Don't you know anything about marketing?

I don't really care much about this game, but then, I also don't have a Wii, and the blatantly sexual aspects aren't exactly attracting me to the game. I'd be too busy asking if the trip was really necessary, since it doesn't seem... relevant.

(Yeah, and I said Persona 4 was one of my favorite games of all time and that uses large amounts of sexual themes. What gives?, you might ask. I don't see a major plot relevance to it in Muramasa, going from what people tell me, but in Persona 4, it's very important, believe it or not!)
Hell, what made me decide to play this had nothing to do with that (okay, maybe a small part, but not much). It was mainly the gameplay and the artstyle of the game that made me want to try it. It's pretty fun to hack and slash enemies to rack up combos. Not to mention, the boss fights are surprisingly epic.

<C_L>

[aka]

I've been excited about this game ever since I heard about it on IGN. After I signed up for Gamefly, Muramasa was the first thing on my list.

I got it Friday, and have loved it since. Sure, the gameplay isn't incredibly deep, and neither is the story, but when you're playing it you don't really notice. It's practically a hack-n-slash, and it does it well. I also like the Cooking and Forging, etc. Muramasa never gets too deep...and I think that's a good thing. As light as it may be, I find hard to stop playing. I believe "enthralling" is a good word. Don't let me forget the art. This is probably the best-looking 2D game i have ever seen. The detail is amazing, not to mention the as-far-as-I-can-tell authentic styling. Overall this is a great, fun action game with some RPG-elements mixed in. So...that's all I have to say about that. [/endreview]

Also, I think Kisuke/Momohime need to be in Smash Bros. HD (As I'm assuming they'll call it). Separate characters..or maybe even a Zelda/Sheik type of thing, though the two may not be different enough for that...hmm...

P.S. I'm back!

BCVM22

[aka];10512943 said:
Also, I think Kisuke/Momohime need to be in Smash Bros. HD (As I'm assuming they'll call it). Separate characters..or maybe even a Zelda/Sheik type of thing, though the two may not be different enough for that...hmm...

Don't even start.

[aka]

Don't even start.
Didn't I already?

On topic: I've really enjoyed the boss fights (what little I've done so far). Though while on the harder difficulty (Shura?), I find them quite difficult, and while on the easy difficult (Muso?), I find them almost too easy...I wish there were some middle ground.