• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Music of the Past (1900-2000)

Raravian

Ditto Pimp
Ladies and Gentlemen,

The time has come...
... For here I present to you an opportunity to drift back into long-forgotten pasts.

This thread is meant as way to interchange and talk about aged and otherwise nostalgic music within the intended scope.

Rules:

1. The music on topic must have been released between 1900-2000 (i.e. anywhere within the previous century). This does not mean that anything before or after that timespan cannot evoke feelings of nostalgia or the past, it only indicates the scope and relevance of content in this particular thread.
  2. Never force your own opinions onto others. Ridiculing, bashing or otherwise intentionally hurting another member because of his or her musical preferences is not tolerated. There is a big difference between (semi-)objective observations and communicating thought-through critical opinions on the one hand, and forcing your own subjective preferences and ideas onto the other by consciously making the person feel bad about his or herself on the other hand.

Tool(s):

This is my first (real) thread, if anything about this thread isn't how the Serebii forum staff has envisioned, they/you are obviously free to correct me.

--------

Personal first input and example:

[video=youtube;3wxyN3z9PL4]http://youtu.be/3wxyN3z9PL4[/video]

Starship - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now

While I would love to expose you all to Pink Floyd, Kate Bush, Japan, Talking Heads, ... just to name a few, the strangely comfortable but cliché song above is the one that put me in motion to create this thread. I suddenly had the urge. It amazes me how this music still makes me feel emotionally warm inside. Please enjoy.

SmartD

Lately, I've been listening to 80's music on Itunes radio. That decade has some really neat songs. Does anyone else think so?

[video=youtube;QqqBs6kkzHE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqqBs6kkzHE[/video]

This is one of my favorite songs.

Last edited:

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
This is the oldest song that I listen to with any regularity -- I may as well stick it in here cause I talk about pretty much anything newer that I listen to with fair regularity:

[video=youtube;-W59FzOwYIs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W59FzOwYIs[/video]

While I would love to expose you all to [...] Japan

I'm always glad to hear someone mention them. I feel like they're unjustly forgotten. (Yet somehow I, tending toward liking prog or art-rock or whatever we're calling it this week -- you know, pretentious **** -- end up favoring Adolescent Sex above a lot of their other work for some reason.)

Raravian

Ditto Pimp
Lately, I've been listening to 80's music on Itunes radio. That decade has some really neat songs. Does anyone else think so?

I'm glad you like the 80's music you have listened to. There are definitely a lot of very interesting bands and songs to be discovered there. It is nice to know that this decade of music is still being explored today by others too. It would be a shame if it were 'lost in time like tears in rain,' if you get the metaphorical reference. Let us know if you find anything you particularly like :)

I'm always glad to hear someone mention them. I feel like they're unjustly forgotten. (Yet somehow I, tending toward liking prog or art-rock or whatever we're calling it this week -- you know, pretentious **** -- end up favoring Adolescent Sex above a lot of their other work for some reason.)

You do? I haven't listened much to their first two albums. I do have the Obscure Alternatives CD, Deluxe Edition, but I've mainly bought it for the live track of In Vogue :b. My favourite album by them is Oil On Canvas. Oh man, I love that album so much. I also have the Very Best Of Japan DVD, which has the entire live performance of the Oil On Canvas show in the Hammersmith Odeon on it (among other videos). The sound is obviously a lot better than the visual quality, but it is still a delight to watch and listen to.

I totally agree with the 'unjustly forgotten' part of your post though. But sometimes I wonder, could it be that this might have been their intention? They weren't really known for appreciating the fame they shortly received. It most likely wasn't the main factor in their decision to break up, but still... could it have contributed to it?

About the song you posted. I had never heard of Artie Shaw before, but he has a very intriguing sound. Normally when I listen to aged music from that era, I listen to the chansons (think Edith Piaf, Jacques Brel). It is very typical how a song with as its premier aspect the clarinet, can still evoke the feelings I originally only associated with the chansons from the era. Sombre, personal, intimate. With the emotional atmosphere of a random local bar where people struggling to provide for themselves and their family, living from day to day, find that one moment where they can sit down. I imagine they sometimes can't do more than stare into nothingness with a drink in front of them, their minds drifting of but never managing to escape reality. I can almost feel the impacts of war in the background. I feel the war aspect is especially noticeable in the Artie Shaw song you have posted.

Now that I think about it, Jacques Brel is from a later decade. I still want to share this song with you though, because there are tears in my throat every time I listen to it. It is one of the most emotional and honest songs I have ever listened to.

[video=youtube;uEAGoLHMMoA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEAGoLHMMoA[/video]

SmartD

Here's another favorite:

[video=youtube;nM4okRvCg2g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM4okRvCg2g[/video]

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Here's another favorite:

-snip-

Yes.

Funny short story, my dad recently bought a Weird Al album and it has "The Brady Bunch" on it, but I didn't know what song it was parodying (usually you can tell from the song title) until I heard it for the first time. It was great.

Speaking of one-hit wonders (in the U.S. only), this was my favorite song as a kid. I used to pop the cassette into the radio in my parents' room and jump on the bed to it, lol. Bonus points for the song being in Benny & Joon (which I hadn't seen until I was in high school).

[video=youtube;tbNlMtqrYS0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbNlMtqrYS0[/video]

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas

Zazie

So 1991

Well their first album or two has a disco/glam type vibe going on that their later stuff doesn't which makes it a bit more unique. Though their later stuff is some damn fine synth pop, not many synth-pop bands have bass players as good as Mick Karn.

I was watching a documentary on the bbc about synth based music in the 80s and they didn't even mention Japan. Probably because they have people that play non-electronic instruments in the band and the documentary was trying to present a false dichotomy of synths vs. everything else.

Honestly I'd be hard pressed to find much music from this millenim that I am crazy about.

Rezzo

Occasionally
Frank Zappa captures my liking for nostalgic music quite well. I like a lot of older musicians, but Zappa manages to be funny, laid back, progressive, technical, experimental, clever and so much more:

[video=youtube;TLIppgE45wM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLIppgE45wM[/video]

Raravian

Ditto Pimp
Speaking of one-hit wonders (in the U.S. only), this was my favorite song as a kid.

>> The Proclaimers - I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)

My parents used to play this one too! Good memories, I still occasionally listen to this (but haven't listened to any of their albums in entirety).

Another classic artist I like is Steve Winwood. He was in several different groups before heading off to a successful solo career. Here's a sample of some of his work:

>> The Spencer Davis Group - Gimme Some Lovin'
>> Traffic - Dear Mr. Fantasy
>> Blind Faith - Presence of the Lord
>> Steve Winwood - Higher Love

Steve Winwood is my ideal singer for the closing credits theme to a live-action movie version of the original Pokemon games.

Never heard of him before. This sounds really nice (I especially like the first two songs), I think I'm going to listen to him more often. For some reason the last song (solo) reminds me a bit of Genesis, Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins (and for some reason I cannot seem to distinguish what causes that feeling). Well crafted.

----

My own recommendation for today:

[video=youtube;TMETa77dUrg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMETa77dUrg[/video]

The Sisters Of Mercy - Temple Of Love (1992)

It feels really powerful and I love the additional vocals by Ofra Haza which really complete the song. The Sisters Of Mercy named their band after the Leonard Cohen song, so you wouldn't expect them to make Gothic Rock like this. I used to listen to this a lot in high school, and I personally enjoy rediscovering them now.