• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Musician's Club!

Phoopes

There it is.
Hello! I searched through the forums for a Musician's Club, and didn't find one, so I decided to make one. This club is for anyone who plays an instrument (voice included) to meet new people who have a passion for music. Here you can discuss many different things like who your favorite composer is, recent songs that you've played, and much more. The following is the "sign-up sheet."

Username:
Instruments you play:
Favorite Composer/Artist:

An example of a sign-up (I'll use myself):

Username: phoopes
Instruments you play: Piano, Drums, Voice
Favorite Composer/Artist: Chopin

So, that about wraps that up. I'll get the ball rolling with the first official topic!

What songs are you currently playing?

Piano: Sonatina in A Minor by Georg Anton Benda; Hungarian Dance No. 5 by Johannes Brahms, and Dancing Mad from Final Fantasy 6 by Nobuo Uematsu.

Drums: Livin' on a Prayer by Bon Jovi and Blitzkrieg Bop by the Ramones.

Voice: Various Hyms for my Church's Choir.

Username: BarkingRat
Instrument(s) I Play: electric guitar
Favorite Composer: Giuseppe Verdi

I would like to add that Tom Morello is my hero.

I'm currently practicing Guns n' Roses "Sweet Child o' Mine" and Eric Johnson's "Cliffs of Dover." Very difficult especially since I don't have a music stand so I have to prop the song book against something and hunch over my guitar. BTW, I have very small hands so I have a lot of trouble making chords. I'm definitely in favor of single-note playing.

I'm thinking of taking up the drums too. Any advice on drum sets, good practice songs, etc?

Ryubane

Why yes, it exists
Username: Ryubane
Instrument(s) I play: Piano, synthesizer, laptop (haha), some electric guitar
Favorite composer: Beethoven or Mussorgsky.

I also admire Jordan Rudess and Derek Sherinian.

I'm currently playing classics such as Pachelbel's Canon in D or Mussorgsky's "Great Gate of Kiev" from Pictures at an Exhibition but I also compose my own songs. The project I've started is called Starlit Ocean and you can listen to my first album as well as a mashup and two singles from my upcoming album here. It's a very eclectic mix of genres so there's a little something for everyone.

StonE EdgE

Brock n' Roll
Username:StonE EdgE
Instruments you play:Cello
Favorite Composer/Artist: At the moment, Týr.

This September will be my 7th year of playing the cello.

Well, I'm learning "Sweet Child O' Mine by ear most recently. I haven't played much over the summer because I play in school.

Username: samramz94
Instruments you play: Trumpet, Ocarina(?)
Favorite Composer/Artist: i dunno, lol

I've been playing the trumpet for around six years now. I recently got an ocarina (based on the Ocarina of Time, lol) to go with my 3ds and LoZ: Ocarina of Time game. Since I've only had it for a little while, I can't play it that well, but it was very easy to learn the basics.

My school's marching band is doing a Motown theme this year. We will eventually be performing "I Want You Back" (Jackson 5), "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" (Marvin Gaye), and "Sir Duke" (Stevie Wonder). Tomorrow will be the first home football game, but we will only be playing "I Want You Back."

In band class during school, we haven't been able to do much yet (today was the second day of school and I have band only every other day), but we were given "Blue Shades" (Frank Ticheli) to look over.

Some friends of mine and I also formed a Ska band recently. We are working on covers of songs like "Bad Town" (Operation Ivy), "Superman" (Goldfinger), and a few others, and we're doing a cover of a cover (lol) of "Take On Me" (A-Ha). Were also working on some original songs.

Sorry, I know this is a lot to read, so I appreciate it if you read it all :)

Lucario9

The Power of Aura
Username: Lucario9
Instruments you play: Trombone, Bass Drum
Favorite Composer/Artist: Meh, good-sounding music sounds good.

I've been playing trombone since fourth grade, and I'm going into tenth when school starts, so it's been six years for those who dislike math :p.

I'm currently part of the high school's jazz band, marching band, drumline, and I'm starting wind ensemble this year.

For marching band: Any Way You Want It and Dont' Stop Believing by Journey, Clocks by Coldplay, and Carry On My Wayward Son by Kansas. (The theme is rock if you couldn't tell).

For Jazz Band, we've been given Cruisin' for a Bluesin' by Maynard Ferguson and Cut & Paste by Doug Beach to practice over the summer.

For Drumline, our last show was called "Celestial Images" and it featured selections from The Planets Suite by Gustav Holst, converted to percussion obviously.

Since my school year hasn't started yet, I obviously don't have the songs for everything else.

Dread Advocate

†Stay Metal†
Username: Darth_Feraligatr
Instruments: trumpet (formerly), bass guitar, hard vocals (I'm fair at death growls)
Favorite composer/artist: composer: Hans Zimmer, artist: can't really choose out of these: Red, Sent By Ravens, Pillar, Demon Hunter, Becoming the Archetype, For Today, Sleeping Giant, Hope for the Dying and War of Ages

I started trumpet in sixth grade, marched it in high school, and made first chair senior year.

I started bass mid-late freshman year for Youth praise band at church, but never played in that band until last February, I also played it in high school jazz band senior year before quitting because jazz band was messing up my entire schedule, but I continue to play bass in "big church" praise band. I have an Ibanez GSR200. Soon, I am to purchase a six-string bass from my cousin, although I forget what brand. I played it once and it was a good bass. I need to speak to my church's music minister about seeing if we can put together an alternative "heavy worship" concert.

Hard vox, I've been doing since I started listening to hardcore music, starting with Demon Hunter back in freshman year.

In praise band, I haven't the slightest idea, as I'm the back-up bassist, and haven't played in a few weeks. But I have been learning Demon Hunter's Through the Black, a pretty difficult song, and Hope for the Dying's two-piece Exordium-Vacillation, which makes the Demon Hunter song seem as simple as Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

As I've said, my trumpet days are over, so nothing there.

And for hard vox, I did make a video of me screaming The Great Commission's Don't Go To Church, Be the Church for a vocal cover contest which ended this past Sunday. I never did submit that video; it was horrible quality, therefore tarnishing how it actually sounded. The deadline passed, the video has outlived its usefulness, and has since been deleted.

Phoopes

There it is.
Welcome BarkingRat, Ryubane, StonE EdgE, samramz94, Lucario9, and Darth_Feraligatr!

@BarkingRat: I love rock also! "Sweet Child O' Mine" and "Cliffs of Dover" are two of my favorite electric guitar songs to listen too. Also, a good starter song for drums is "Hells Bells" by AC/DC. It's an easy song, sounds cool, and overall makes you feel like a BAMF.

@Ryubane: Canon in D is a great song, and I play it on piano a lot. I wish I could listen to your songs right now. (curse you broken speakers!) I also compose my own songs (well, only three for now) and it is something that I enjoy very much. Whenever I get my speakers fixed, I'll definitely listen and I'll also look out for your album!

@StonE EdgE: "Sweet Child O' Mine" seems pretty popular, lol. I'd be interested in seeing how that would work out on a cello.

@samramz94: I can't find an ocarina anywhere. :( I've always wanted to play "Saria's Song." Good luck with your ocarina adventures! My school's band also did a Motown theme. "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" is one of my favorite songs. (the CCR version isn't Motown, but oh well) And while I'm not a fan of Ska bands, I wish you luck with that!

@Lucario9: I love all 4 of your marching band songs. I wish my school's band picked songs like that... I'm also in my school's Jazz Band, and last year we played "Blue Skies," "Straight No Chaser," and "Send In the Clowns." I'm also in my school's drumline and we played a piece called "Illuminations." My school year hasn't started yet either.

@Darth_Feraligatr: I'm also in my church's praise band. I'm the backup drummer and keyboardist so I don't know what we're playing either. My friend also plays bass and likes the band Red. One of his favorites is Feed the Machine. It's a suggestion. Since your post, I've listened to "Through the Black" and "Exordium-Vacillation." Both seem extremely difficult. Good luck with those!

What Songs Are You Currently Playing?

For Piano, I'm starting a new song. It's called "Hungary-Rapsodie Mignonne" by Carl Koelling. Definitely a challenging piece.

Finally, another welcome to everyone!

@BarkingRat: I love rock also! "Sweet Child O' Mine" and "Cliffs of Dover" are two of my favorite electric guitar songs to listen too. Also, a good starter song for drums is "Hells Bells" by AC/DC. It's an easy song, sounds cool, and overall makes you feel like a BAMF.

Cool. I plan to get a drum set from a pawn shop when I have the money. I also want to get several more guitars to try different strings for different sounds. I have Ernie Ball regular slinky strings on my one guitar, and I love them much. The sound is good for all songs I play. I want to try the Super Slinkies and the Skinny Top Heavy Bottom set. I'm trying for a sound that wouldn't stick out too much in a dance/electro tune. I know, weird. I would actually like to get other people to play guitar with me at some point.

Still trying to master "Cliffs of Dover," with occasional distracted wanderings through "Black Sabbath."

Ruthra

Sweet, a music club! I'd love to join!
Username: Ruthra
Instruments you play: Clarinet's my main one - I also can play rather simple tunes on the flute & piano.
Favorite Composer/Artist: hmm... I dunno... probably Beethoven or Vivaldi or Gustov Holst.

lol too many to type up
the main ones are (with my clarinet);
Short Piece by Claude Debussy
The Oily Rag by Richard Percival
Siciliano by Iwan Muller
Clarinet polka by Gosta Safbom

Gafoozle

Look mommy!
Username: Gafoozle
Instruments you play: Acoustic Guitar (I can play electric, but I prefer acoustic)
Favorite Composer/Artist: Hell, I don't know. I have too many.

I'm currently working on The Day That Never Comes, by Mettalica. Damn that's hard to learn :p

Flame Mistress

Username: Flame Mistress
Instruments you play: Piano, Voice, and Cello, Violin and Recorder as hobbies
Favorite Composer/Artist: Composer: Chopin and Mozart. Artist: LOTS.

Nothing ATM, just taking a break from Piano after getting my Grade 5 Piano certificate. Voice... I ahould've just put that in Hobby too, but I was in the school choir, and my whole classes performed in the Royal Albert Hall once (along with many other class in my borough) =) I just enjoy Piano and Singing a lot.

Ryubane

Why yes, it exists
@Darth_Feraligatr: Death growls are fun. >:D I love practicing but I can't write my own lyrics, and the best bands for screams/growls don't have very many "clean" lyrics. :/

Dread Advocate

†Stay Metal†
Originally Posted by phoopes
@Darth_Feraligatr: I'm also in my church's praise band. I'm the backup drummer and keyboardist so I don't know what we're playing either. My friend also plays bass and likes the band Red. One of his favorites is Feed the Machine. It's a suggestion. Since your post, I've listened to "Through the Black" and "Exordium-Vacillation." Both seem extremely difficult. Good luck with those!

Feed the Machine is one of my own favorites. I can't choose an absolute favorite song, though. Hope for the Dying recently released score and tabs for Exordium-Vacillation for guitar 1, guitar 2, and bass. The stuff on guitars is insane.

Until I can play Through the Black well, the most complex Demon Hunter song I can play is a two parter: The Flame That Guides Us Home-Not I. I tried to learn their new song The World Is A Thorn, but I need at least a five-string to play it properly.

If you want any more insane and complex songs, ask and you shall receive. Seeing as most of what I listen to falls under the umbrella term for hardcore music, I am naturally exposed to difficult rythms. Becoming the Archetype and For Today have quite a few tough ones.

Last edited:
@samramz94: I can't find an ocarina anywhere. :( I've always wanted to play "Saria's Song."

I ordered mine from STL Ocarina, but there's other good websites too, such as Songbird Ocarinas. If you want to order one, you should search for other websites too.

I actually recorded myself playing Saria's Song on ocarina and trumpet, and made stop-motion videos of me playing the bass part on piano and the percussion part using a bag of coins and the case for Ocarina of Time. Then I combined the four videos into one. It turned out ok, but imo not good enough for the internet, lol

Edit:

That's pretty awesome, good luck!

Last edited:

emogirl

Panda-chan.
Username: emogirl
Instruments you play: Flute, Bass, guitar, trumpet, piano, Clarinet, Oboe, recorder, drums, my own voice...I might be forgetting something
Favorite Composer/Artist: I don't have favorites

Most of my instruments I play for pep/school/marching band, so a lot of classic rock songs. We're playing Don't Stop Believin' by Journey on Sunday for Oktoberfest ^_^
For singing, a lot of alt rock and metal, wayy too much to list >.< I play a lot of music, on a lot of instruments. :)

Dread Advocate

†Stay Metal†
Hours ago was my high school's first football game of the season. I'll admit, even though my trumpet days are long gone, I do kind of miss being in band. I guess it's one of those "you don't realize what you have until you don't have it anymore" lessons. The team lost 7 to 6, but that's beside the point. I went for the bands.

The opposing team, Harralson County, their band was great. They did a show based off of select Pixar films. Their announcer said it was "Toy Story, The Incredibles, A Bug's Life, Wall-E, Cars, and Finding Nemo." But I only recognized Toy Story, The Incredibles, and Cars. In the stands, they were good, but very rude: whenever my home band, Lithia Springs, would play, they would play louder.

Our show was "Divided: Copeland and Bernstein"

And here's a critique I gave one of Lithia's drum major's just a few minutes ago on facebook.
Sound wise, it was great, although two people did stand out A LOT! Bradley and Jon Michal. I heard McConnell told Bradley to play out though, so if that's true I'll give him a break. But if it isn't, he should take it down a notch or two. Jon, on the other hand, I know he's just being a show off and takes pleasure in damaging his brain and the hearing of those around him. He NEEDS to take it down at least four notches.
Visually, there were some issues mainly in the flutes and guard. I noticed at least two flutes who were out of step the entire time. And at least one of the guard girls was either ahead or behind, never on beat. Another thing about the guard: SMILES!!!!!!
The drunline was fantastic tonight. I don't have much to say here.
Musically, it sounded alright. There were a few fumbles in the high brass, but I understand their pain; Copeland is very demanding on the trumpets, so I'll give them a break (and because their my third family). I didn't hear most woodwinds, so I can't say much there. Low brass was incredible, very strong and dark, but a bit overwhelming when compared to everyone else.
Overall, a very good first performance. It was mostly solid and sounded fairly confident. I'd give the band a mid 2, colorguard a mid 2, and drumline a high 2.

Away from the show, I'm gonna go ahead and talk about the stands. I know it's the first game and our team generally sucks, but y'all need some enthusiasm. There were one or two new songs that sounded like you just got them yesterday. And the new kids, OH MY GOD! They don't know nothing! They aren't dancing, singing, or getting into any of it. I know what it was like being there freshman year, but I went along anyways. There were some games where I couldn't talk anymore for a few days from screaming. You've got to teach these youngins how to get into it. Teach them the dances, teach them the chants, teach them to not be afraid of looking like a bunch of morons; we all do no matter how hard we try not to. One last thing about the stands: y'all need to play out. I was sitting right there next to y'all and could barely hear you, especially when the other band was being exceptionally rude by playing when you were. Again, I know it's the first game, but come on, weren't we louder at the first game last year?

Blaziken10285

The Dojo Master
Username: Blaziken10285
Stuff I Play: Bb Soprano Clarinet and Bb Bass Clarinet
Composer: Not Sure

Mostly just playing stuff for marching band

Jameson1

Mes amis
Username: Jameson1
Instruments you play: Bass guitar, Piano, Symphonic/Marching Percussion
Favorite Composer/Artist: Bela Fleck & The Flecktones, Taku Iwasaki, Bruce Faulconer/Scott Morgan/Mike Smith.