• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

My artwork.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Before I post my first artwork I will admit one thing right away. I know I suck at making artwork, I'm fully aware of that. But I want to get better. I have read the rules, and I'm trying my best to follow them.

And if I'm reading correctly, I'm not allowed to post art with blood in it. And even though I would want to do that, I will respect that rule completely. I'm not sure if guns are allowed in my art though.

Here is the first artwork I will make in this thread:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now I have a question, it says in the rules that tracing is not allowed. What does that mean exactly? Does it mean I'm not allowed to use images as examples for my art? Because I think every artist needs an inspiration for their artwork.

Anyway, I want to get better at making artwork. I'm just a beginner, I haven't made so many artworks. I can take any sort of criticism, and I am going to try use it to get better. Thanks a lot.

PokemonRoss

Graphic Artist@17 :)
Tracing simply means that you can't draw directly over the top of an existing artists work and claim it as your own....
As for your drawing, it's good if it's only one of your first attempts, especially good when you take into account that it's done in MS paint with a mouse, (presumably) :)

However try to look at the proportions of the pokemon and how bits of them join together, as your Buizel seems to have a rather large stomach compared to what i recall it having. But on the whole a good attempt :)

Porygonq

imo, this is a very good piece of work, not too keen on the background, but as for the pokemon it looks amazing! I would set it next to lake, and maybe draw a few other water types and for me, this would be a 5-star piece!
you dont suck mate, and keep drawing more, practise makes perfect

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan

Miltank Lover

Breeder, Miltank Ftw
Try looking at shapes, you're obviously new to painting but whenever you paint, just check yourself over and over again, like if you think you've painted a line which looks good but you can do better, do it over again. It will result into improving a nicer pictures.

PokemonRoss

Graphic Artist@17 :)
Not bad, Your new to it and i know it can be hard at first, just keep persevering and you'll soon get the hang of it mate.
Try downloading something called paint.net it's free and a more advanced version of microsoft paint. It's quite simple to use and offers some features that make picture making easier, kind of like a steeping stone between ms paint and photoshop.

Before you know it you'll be making artwork left right and center, I've been drawing for about a year and i was worse than you when i started....

I drew my sig. :) Good luck man! just persivere.

nathandg0924

Back in the meantime
Better than what I can do in paint. But I'd say you can do more practice, especially on the anatomy and the perspectives. Nonetheless, I can see nice effort here and it's fine. :)

Just a question, is paint pretty much the only art program on your computer?

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
New artwork is up, enjoy.

a_machamp__by_blazethemoviefan-d5f5fq6.png

http://blazethemoviefan.deviantart.com/#/d5f5fq6

I wish I could share my comics here, but I won't since I respect the rules of this message board and will follow them. My comics have a lot of swearing and since swearing isn't allowed on this message board I will respect those rules and not post my comics here.

Now my latest artwork, does this look like a Machamp? It sure looks like one to me. And yes, it doesn't take me much time to make most of my artwork, but people still like the artwork I make and I appreciate it.

Skytorn

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ вuttєrflч!
Okay, I'm not saying your totally bad, as I drew worse when I was on the computer at age 11 practising.

First, I've had Paint.net, and I have no idea what I was doing so I will give you a point for being smarter at software than me...

If you want to draw really good I'd recommend Paint SAI, it's a brilliant software. There's also Photoshop but that costs waaaay more than SAI. If you do get SAI, I'd consider adding shading to your art. Shading is the easiest part to it and my favorite.

Kaiserin

please wake up...
SAI is specifically designed for tablet users, though. If he's using a mouse, that might not be ideal for a beginner. I'd recommend a free alternative that's not specifically geared towards people who have drawing tablets, because it makes life harder if you don't have one and try to use those programs anyway.

My advice to you, OP, is this: don't draw by the seat of your pants wherever you can help it. Layer your sketches, if possible -- if you don't know how to do it literally using raster layers, then just sketch some basic shapes very lightly to plan out where things will go, and then finalize them into objects/anatomy and darken the lines as you go. It's a habit that requires training yourself into, but it's a great way to figure out how proportions and anatomy work, by breaking them down into basic shapes. Figures, both human and otherwise, are composed of a bunch of basic shapes given detail and attached together to an artist's perspective, and it's the easiest way to make things work without having to squander your eraser or get frustrated with how something isn't coming out right.

-Raiga-

SAI is specifically designed for tablet users, though. If he's using a mouse, that might not be ideal for a beginner. I'd recommend a free alternative that's not specifically geared towards people who have drawing tablets, because it makes life harder if you don't have one and try to use those programs anyway.

Sai isn't designed to work with a tablet. Using a tablet simply makes things easier like in any art program. I myself can still draw 8 times faster with a mouse(laser guided at least) then with my tablet just due to how long I was without a tablet.