• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

My Competitive Sixth Generation Battling Team

Phyroxzenoid

Competitive Battler
Hello everyone that is reading this, today I am going to share a detailed description of my current battling team with all of you. I hope that you can all provide some helpful feedback so that I can continue to improve it.

Edit: Edits to the team are shown in Bold.
Well, let's dive right into this.

Pokemon #1: Heliolisk with Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
Ability: Dry Skin
IVs: x/x/31/31/31/31
EVs: 6 HP/252 SpA/252 Spd
Moveset: Surf, Thunderbolt, Protect and Volt Switch

I have given Heliolisk the Choice Scarf so that he can outspeed & OHKO those pesky Mega Aerodactyls and other defensively-weak sweepers. Surf provides good coverage and Protect is just for stalling purposes. If I don't think Heliolisk can take a hit, I usually Volt Switch out. It's Modest nature provides a handy SpA boost, and it's ability, Dry Skin, makes it ideal for switching into powerful water types, for example, Gyarados.

Pokemon #2: Lucario with Lucarionite
Jolly Nature
Ability: Steadfast/Adaptability (MEVO)
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31
EVs: 6 HP/252 Att/252 Spd
Moveset: Close Combat, Bullet Punch, Earthquake and Extremespeed

Mega Lucario is my sweeper. His Jolly Nature insures he gets the first hit on most things, and his Adaptability ability makes his Close Combat have a base power of 240. Altough his frail defenses mean he is usually the first to fall in battle, he never dies without making a good sized chunk in the opponents' team, occasionally even sweeping the whole team.

Pokemon #3: Trevenant with Big Root
Careful Nature
Ability: Natural Cure
IVs: 31/20-30/31/x/31/31
EVs: 252 HP/80 SpD/176 Spd
Moveset: Will o' Wisp, Horn Leech, Destiny Bond, Leech Seed

Trevenant is my, you guessed it, spin-blocker. I invested in speed so that he could outspeed certain threats. He has a good moveset, with Will o' Wisp to deal with physical sweepers, since his normal defense is not that great. Horn Leech allows him to deal a decent amount of damage while healing himself, and combined with the Big Root to boost the recovery and Natural Cure ability, this fellow can take quite a few hits before being knocked out. Leech Seed is a reliable way for him to deal damage, while Destiny Bond makes sure if I fear being knocked out the opponent does not get away with it.

Pokemon #4: Barbaracle with Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
Ability: Tough Claws
IVs: 31/31/31/x/x/31
EVs: 6 HP/252 Att/252 Spd
Moveset: Shell Smash, Razor Shell, Night Slash and Brick Break

Barbaracle. My personal favorite on this team so far... this thing is a beast and few things live to tell the story of defeating him. His meager defensive typing encouraged me to smack a Focus Sash on him so he always gets off a Shell Smash or two, and then he proceeds to wreck as much as possible. He has good STAB & Tough Claws advantage in Razor Shell, while Tough Claws also boosts Night Slash and Brick Break. Although he is very strong, this guy's worst nightmare are priority moves...

Pokemon #5: Aggron with Air Balloon
Relaxed Nature
Ability: Rock Head
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/x
EVs: 252 HP/6 Att/252 SpD
Moveset: Taunt, Dragon Tail, Stealth Rock and Iron Head

I gave Aggron a new purpose on this team. Set up Stealth Rocks, do not let the opponent set up by using Taunt, and inflict damage with Dragon Tail. His weakness to Earthquake made me give him the Air Balloon. This fellow has very good bulk, and I have yet to see him fail to get Stealth Rocks up (exception is Fighting types). Iron Head is a good STAB if I have nothing else to go for. I also redistributed the EVs to HP to give him even more bulk to stock up on.

Pokemon #6: Currently breeding a Gale Wings Talonflame, will update once it's ready.

Well, overall that is my team, and I would really like to hear what you all have to say about it! Good day, and thanks for taking the time to read this.

Last edited:
I would suggest giving Talonflame Gale Wings, as it allows you to hit pretty much everything first, as well as give you the most powerful priority move in the game with Brave Bird. There's really no other reason to use him if you're to using Gale Wings. It allows you to revenge kill a large number of threats. Also, Life Orb is the best item for Greninja. He's fairly frail, and it gives a larger boost every move. In regards to Gardevoir, unless you're using her as your mega, you really shouldn't use her in the first place. In a physically dominant meta game, having 68/65 physical bulk, and still be fairly slow, isn't that great. There are much better special attackers out there, such as Keldeo and Starmie to name a few. Starmie is also suggested because if your opponent gets rocks on the field, Talonflame is toast.

Phyroxzenoid

Competitive Battler
Thank you for the feedback. As for Talonflame, I am thinking about replacing him, as he is frail and doesn't have a good ability. With Gardevoir, I am probably just going to drop her as well, because unless she resists the attack, almost any physical moves 1HKO her.
Some Pokemon that I have considered using in my team but I don't quite know how they would fit in:
Barbabacle
Rotom-H?
Tentacruel
Some kind of bulky fire attacker that can take a good amount of hits

Thank you for the feedback. As for Talonflame, I am thinking about replacing him, as he is frail and doesn't have a good ability. With Gardevoir, I am probably just going to drop her as well, because unless she resists the attack, almost any physical moves 1HKO her.
Some Pokemon that I have considered using in my team but I don't quite know how they would fit in:
Barbabacle
Rotom-H?
Tentacruel
Some kind of bulky fire attacker that can take a good amount of hits
If you want a fire type, either Heatran or Scarf Darmanitan would work. As for replacing Gardevoir, my best suggestion for a special attacker is Starmie, as it has a decent special attack, and a great special move pool, as well as being able to spin. Tentacruel IMO lost his main niche, which was rain stall. Rotom-H is inferior to Rotom-W, and I don't have any experience with/against Barbaracle. You can always keep Talonflame, as at +2 he's pretty powerful, and the priority Brave Bird is awesome, but he NEEDS Gale Wings. Is this a Wi-Fi team or a Pokémon Showdown team?

Phyroxzenoid

Competitive Battler
It's a Pokemon Wi-Fi team.

Phyroxzenoid

Competitive Battler
I'd appreciate any other feedback other people have to offer! :)

Phyroxzenoid

Competitive Battler
*updated*!

Playful Latios

@Soul Dew
Unless you get a significant amount of KOs from the extra special attack Modest Nature provides to Heliolisk, I'd really suggest to use Timid nature instead because otherwise every Base 96 and higher Pokemon will outpace you. Base 95 Speed Pokemon can tie your Speed stat. This is based on you not having Choice Scarf equiped.

On Greninja I am going to suggest Life Orb as the held item. Its defenses are very poor anyway so losing the extra 10% HP with each attack you do isn't going to bother it. Also I would really recommend switching to a Timid Nature instead of Modest. By not choosing Timid as its nature, you won't be able to have first strike against other Greninja. This will also be important after PokeBank is released again because Infernape, the musketeers, and Lati@s will all have first strike against it and have the potential to threaten it.

Talonflame you should really consider capturing / breeding one with Gale Wings. This will give Brave Bird priority which will help if you get paralyzed or if you are facing faster Pokemon such as Timid Greninja.

Phyroxzenoid

Competitive Battler
Made a lot of changes to the team, updating the thread when I have a free minute.

Phyroxzenoid

Competitive Battler
Updated the topic.

Most of it looks pretty good, but I think MegaLucario could use a different moveset. Close Combat is great, but running both Extremespeed and Bullet Punch is a bit redundant, since with adaptability they have exactly the same power. With Adaptability, close combat is actually so powerful that even when not very effective it still has more power than earthquake. Coverage-wise, using crunch is a better option, since it hits ghosts better than anything else Lucario gets. If you don't want to boost, I'd try using Close Combat, Bullet Punch, Crunch, and Earthquake. You could also opt for stone edge to take care of Drought Charizard.

Arceus500

One thing, change Protect to Dark Pulse. Dark Pulse helps with coverage and it doesnt have a chance of failing. I think you should never use a status move on a pokemon with a choice item. That is just my opinion.

Playful Latios

@Soul Dew
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest White Herb be the held item for Barbaracle because then it gets back the defenses it loses. This will be very helpful against priority moves. Add in that any entry hazard will make Focus Sash useless and it seems like a better trade off.

To me Taunt seems counter productive on Aggron. It is so slow it isn't going to be moving before other Pokemon to make them waste a turn. You appear to want to haze the opponent. I'd actually suggest Roar instead of Dragon Tail because it goes through Substitute and Protect. I even tested against Protect to verify that. It also has perfect accuracy which can be critical at times. Taunt would then be replaced with either Earthquake or Stone Edge for increased coverage.