• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

My created Region - Help

Zorg

Spongetastic
Ok, I think this should be the best place to put this thread but feel free to report this if you don’t feel it’s in the right place.

I am going to be posting a trainer fan fiction soon in my own region with a few new things that I haven’t seen done in any other fics to try and make my more original.

I have spent a while coming up with the names of my cities, research the origins of previous Pokemon cities and trying to relate mine with them and I have completed most of them.

Here is a bad drawing of my region:
PokemonMapBasic.jpg

My reason for posting this thread is I want people to help me come up with better names for my cities/villages and more important, for my region. For here is my stuff so far, I have given details for the locations I haven’t come up with names for yet.

(The below list is in the order of the places the main characters go, Rosewood village is the upmost of the three villages above the forest)

The region: Dohto

Starting Village – Rosewood Village

Below Rosewood Village: Has an average population with a Pokemon University with a population of around 200 students. Also has the well known Pokemon research lab.

Village above the left of the forest: Honeysuckle Village

Forest – Pocelain Forest

City (1st Gym) – Porcelain City

Cave (1st to 2nd Gym) – Echo Cave

City (2nd Gym) – Beachfront City

City (3rd Gym) – Fanom Ruins

Village (farming village) – Pladow Ranch

City (4th Gym) – ???
An ancient city levitating 3 meters off the ground and surrounded by a thick mist. They say this is created by all the mysterious Pokemon living underneath the city (mainly psychic types).

Cave – Sea Tunnel

Resort Area/Safari Zone

Volcano – Craypat Volcano

City (5th) – Craypatic City

City (6th) – Selust City

Lake 1 – Lake Perma

Lake 2 – Lake Salqua

Lake 3 – Lake Cosmos

Port – ???

Island – ???

City (7th) – ???

Outpost (8th) – ???

I will update soon

IJuggler

how much words
Well, I would especially worry about the name Dohto, because it sounds and looks incredibly like Johto.

Names are pretty easy to come up with if you aren't trying to follow a theme. Think of a letter or noise that you like. For example, br was what I wanted one of my character's last name to start with. Fit vowels after consonents, and, soon enough, you'll have a name. I ended up with Brixon, by the way.

Aesthetically, your map is pretty good. I think the three non-Gym towns are too close, but apart from that and a general cramped feeling I get from the region, it looks fine.

Remember that, for the sake of the story, you don't need to input any information that the reader doesn't need. Sure, perhaps Pladow Ranch has an annual giveaway of eggs, but that doesn't mean that you should include that in your story (unless it has something to do with any of the characters, at least).

Do caves usually pop up along the border to water in real life? I actually don't know, but it sounds somewhat suspicious. As well, why is there a giant island for Battle Frontier whereas the rest of the lakes, and by comparison the huge water source the island is in, look to have been gouged out by glaciers?

Zorg

Spongetastic
Hey thanks for posting Juggler, first of all i had to rush this post, as i had to go to bed early last night.

You pointed out some things from real life that i never thought of realistically like the lake sizes and the caves next to water. I will be sure to fix these up.

I like your way of coming up with names. I used to try doing that but it never worked out, so in this i tried relating the city names with the types of the gyms (each gym has two types), eg: Fanom ruins has a dark/poison gym, so i have the Fa=can't remember and nom=Venom.

And yes, i need a new region names, that's one of my main problems, i am going to not bother with the 'to' at the end when coming up with region names from now on.

Thanks for you help and for not calling me a n00b o_O

Aura Master

Smell of Success
I suggest adding some to the top left corner of the region. Honestly, I would take the Pokemon League and put it on an island so you have more room.

The Battle Frontier just looks...out of place...Like the island for BF, could be a gym city, since you got that cluster of three citys so close.

My deal With the Pokemon league is that in all the other regions, it is placed out the way....Mostly in the top part. But using another island for the Pokemon League is a good idea maybe a little off to the right...

Overall it's wayyyy to small...Try to not waste space and/or make it bigger.

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
OK, firstly, I'll have to side with IJuggler on the name. Dohto is alarmingly like Johto... keep trying to find a sound that's friendlier to you. If you can't pick, grab a map of Japan showing all the prefectures, pick one that sounds unique... and mes it up a bit. :D or not...;)

On your geography, I'm not too concerned about your spacing as to the reasons you place for it. You have to have a good reason why the two cities in the south are so far apart and the three villages are so close. And if you can't try spacing them out a bit more. You're creating a continent, remember? Try not to be stingy... ;)

Lastly on your city names, you can go about it in the way the canon did (colours in Gen I, flowers and plants in Gen !!, word combination in Gen III)... you get the idea. Or you could go out on a limb and do it your own way and pick any name that sounds cool, or like an actual city. Not saying anything you got doesn't sound like a city... just giving you some ideas.

Basically, free up your mind and explore the possibilities. They're infinite!

L@er!

RoflLuxRay

Pokemon Physiologist
I think everyone agrees with the Dotho name being a "dope" version of jotho, no offense meant. Why not break stereotypes and name your region like a country would be? (Since it's an island you can try mixing country names or cities).

Well, pretty much anything can work as a name for a city (look at the map of the USA and you'll find even last names as little town names) so coming up with it can be even something funny at certain point.
Geologically, your island is totally on tracks. If your island or region has a volcanic-related origin suits a lot more, explaining even the caves in the borders of the land. Everything, even the island for your frontier fits with volcanic events.

I am also curious about the beaches around the lake and the cluster of cities which, like everyone here heavily recommend, i would move apart from each other, unless they have issues between them or stuff.
Work on that stuff and you'll have created something really good!! Kudos for the drawing BTW :)

PsychicChampion

I'm feeling Dohano, or Sulo(IDK); I like the names for the Cities and Places so far but yeah the Name sound like Johto and you should try a new name and try like a state or country outside Japan, try like your Home State or Country and look up old and anchient names for it and corrupt it.

and some Name suggestions to help

Fourth Gym City, MistDrift City?(Sucka play on Mischevous), Mistton, Mistville, Mistfield, up to you but just out there.

Don't give up, naming cities and Regions are hard, Hell I'm still debating town Names after what I considered the last rename. The Reason why I picked Arcana because my region has mystery and magic; Look at what your region has; what makes it stand out?

Giratina!

Backstreet's back
I won't even go into detail on the Region name, but I will say that you are allowed to take inspiration from other places... even if it's unintentional. One of my fake Regions lived for about a year before I realized that it shared a name with a trainer from Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness! x3

Anyway, concerning the city names, I'll need to agree with the common notion that theme naming makes everything much simpler. Take, for example, my city names: Omegus, Rhoter, Talwing, Vhinxy, Rhion, Epsil, Sigmon (I think? XD), Raxi, and probably a lot more I can't think of right now. Ignoring the unfortunate abundance of Rs, did you notice a pattern? Well, only one reviewer did, but I'll say it anyway: every one of those city names was based off of a Greek letter. They range from simple (taking the 'on' off 'Epsilon' to make Epsil) to completely indecipherable (Raxi and Vhinxy come to mind; only one half of Raxi I remember, and Vhinxy is a total mystery). But they ended up being pretty catchy and relatively easy to come up with, so here I am.

I'd also recommend renaming Beachfront City. Originality is important. As for the ancient floating ruins (best city concept EVER, by the way), I would call it Archulite City - from "archaic" meaning old, and the suffix "-ite" bringing to mind a sort of rock or mineral.

Dilasc

Boip!
I am going to be posting a trainer fan fiction soon in my own region with a few new things that I haven’t seen done in any other fics to try and make my more original.

That's quite the bold statement to make. I'm going to focus on this quote for the majority of my response (even when I ramble away from it) because it screams of a high goal that likely won't be attained.

You've set your story up for a Fakemon region, did you not? You therefore have an underlying goal that forefronts others: advertise your creations!

If you don't sell them, people won't connect with them. They have to have careful details or the people will scratch their heads about them.

Still, my story is different than someone else's: I doubt anyone is going to trek Mongolia and Northern China.

Does that make my story fully original? Not at all. At the end of the page, the job is to make a good story that just so happens to have Fakemon that you want people to like.

As for naming, string together a bunch of syllables and make it sound foreign: I have 4 region names out there in my world: Kertonmel, Jaarm, Kyydonastik, and Noscoviet.

Don't be afraid to get the region name to sound a bit... odd. You want it to be remember it.

The next time someone hears about a kid on a stick in real life, I want them to look back and remember 'Dilasc had a land with a name like that.'

Remember, your creations want to feel YOU, so make them yours, but be careful when claiming yours will pinnacle originality.

[Super_Fjord]

Is a college kid.
Someone before me mentioned using a map of Japan and choosing random names and changing them around a bit to make them your own--personally, this is what I always do, though I avoid using Japan.

For example, for region and large areas, in Myth, I've been using variations of Nordic/Scandinavian places, real or not. For cities, I use a list of ancient Middle Eastern cities/states. For towns... Well, those don't always have to be original. 'Coal Town' is a town named for it's primary resource and the mineral which provides the area jobs. (Give you three guesses what mineral it is.)

And I have to agree with Giratina!; floating city that's propelled off the ground by the Psychic energies of PokeMon--very cool idea.

PsychicChampion

Great Idea Zorg with City Concept, no real Idea for name except ones I gave; just relax and it will come to you.