• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

My Current HG Team (Plz Rate)

WaterTrainer243

Veteran Water Lover
This is my current Heart Gold Team that I've been using since the start of the game, mostly. So I would appreciate any input you folks have on them. I'm still training them so I can face Red with them, unfortunately.

Victreebel (M)-No nickname yet
Lv.53
Adament Nature
Pokeball: Premier Ball
Item: Miracle Seed
Ability: Chlorophyll
-Leaf Storm
-Stun Spore
-Cut
-Leaf Blade

Golem (M)-Rocky
lv.53
Naughty nature
Pokeball: Regular pokeball
Item: Soft Sand
Ability: Sturdy
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Rock Smash
-Rock Polish

Gyarados (M)-Hurricane
lv.53
Calm nature
Pokeball: Lure Ball
Item: Mystic Water
Ability: Intimidate
-Hyper Beam
-Ice Fang
-Surf
-Hydro Pump

Ampharos (F)-Lamby-Toes
lv.53
Adament Nature
Pokeball: Regular
Item: Magnet
Ability: Static
-Flash
-Thunderbolt
-Rock Climb
-Thunder Wave

Noctowl (M)-Hootie
lv.53
Lonely Nature
Pokeball: Heal Ball
Item: Sharp Beak
Ability: Insomnia
-Extrasensory
-Fly
-Air Slash
-Hypnosis

Feraligatr (M)-Chomper
lv.53
Brave Nature
Pokeball: Regular
Item: Cheri Berry (for now)
Ability: Torrent
-Crunch
-Ice Fang
-Hydro Cannon
-Strength

So, what do you think?

Mye

Someone has to win..
Team is decent, I'd switch hydro pump to eq on gyarados though, as electrics could kill'm easily. Also switch air slash to dream eater on noctowl....gives it a reliable recovery that could work well with hypnosis. As for ampharos, I'm gonna go against what most people are gonna tell you, and say trade it. Electabuzz/vire could probably fill that role better, and give better type coverage.

WaterTrainer243

Veteran Water Lover
Team is decent, I'd switch hydro pump to eq on gyarados though, as electrics could kill'm easily. Also switch air slash to dream eater on noctowl....gives it a reliable recovery that could work well with hypnosis. As for ampharos, I'm gonna go against what most people are gonna tell you, and say trade it. Electabuzz/vire could probably fill that role better, and give better type coverage.

Well I've already got an Electivire, but it's all the way at level 15. But I may actually do the other suggestions.

@Mye: But by giving Noctowl Dream Eater, it loses it's STAB, which is always wanted.

Gyrados@Leftovers
Adamant/Intimidate
~Dragon Dance
~Earthquake
~Rock Slide
~Waterfall.

Dragon Dance Gyrados. As you may have guessed, Dragon Dance is the core of this set, further boosting Gyrados' naturally high Attack and decent Speed. Waterfall is the STAB move of choice, being used over Aqua Tail as the 10% miss rate may screw you over. However, if you want the extra damage, by all means go for it. Earthquake is your best way to hit Electric types, which Gyrados fears, and Rock Slide works well with Earthquake, giving the unresisited QuakeEdge coverage. Stone Edge may be considered over Rock Slide if the 100 Base Power appeals to you, but you have to keep the 80% accuracy in mind.

Thats a decent team. really good. Even though an electric type can take out a couple of your pokemon, you have a golem. Posibly get rid off strength and put earthquake on your feraligator. Also posibly rock slide with garados(i cant spell). Over all balenced team to complete the game and for competitive bataling.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Apparently no one noticed that Ampy is Adamant and the Gatr carries Hydro Cannon, both are so bad I wonder why no one noticed.

Ampharos
Modest Nature
~Focus Blast
~Thunderbolt
~Signal Beam
~Thunder Wave

Feraligatr
Jolly Nature
~Swords Dance
~Aqua Jet
~Earthquake
~Ice Punch

peacemaker987

Custom User Title
^wouldnt adamant be beneficial to 'gatr on that set?

anywho, thunderpunch > rock smash for water types. rock polish is kind of a waste due to the abundence of water types and grass types; so double edge can be used instead.

fullerfast

Trainer in training
Originaly posted by houndoomflare
@Mye: But by giving Noctowl Dream Eater, it loses it's STAB, which is always wanted.
Yes that may be true wouldnt replacing fly instead of airslash be better as fly wastes a turn even though both are stab air slash would be stronger overall noctowl has higher sp atk and so air slash (special) would be at or near the power of fly (physical)
possibly (your choice) replace extrasensory with heat wave the team has no fire moves and noctowl fits the bill pretty well and adds ice coverage
dream eater is psychic so replacing extra would be ok (at least i think)

One final thing thanks for the detail in your team but it is unneccesary (hope i spelled that right) all you need on a team is the pokemon, nature, item, ability, and moveset. Lv, pokeball, and nicknames don't realy matter. Gender is weird sometimes it does sometimes or doesnt that is if you have attract or captivate in the moveset or not

Last edited:
anywho, thunderpunch > rock smash for water types. rock polish is kind of a waste due to the abundence of water types and grass types; so double edge can be used instead.
Fire Pawnch>Thunderpawnch is also an option, if TC has a fear of Grass.

Victreebell@Life Orb/Leftovers
Jolly/Chlorophyll
~Swords Dance
~Leaf Blade
~Synthesis/Return
~Sucker Pawnch

A Swords Dance set. Swords Dance boosts Victreebell's aleady great Attack stat. Leaf Blade is the best physical STAB it has, so run that. Sucker Pawnch gives you priority, should you need it. Synthesis works with the Life Orb, shedding of recoil damage, whereas Return works with Lefties, dealing further neutral coverage.

Use Shine's Ampharos.

To be honest, Felarigatr isn't doing much on this team, simply being a weaker Gyra. Noctowl isn't supporting much as well, seeing as your team doesn't particularly fear any of the types it covers. However, seeing as Flying STAB is always good to have, I'd remove both and put a Charizard on your team. This is laregly due to the fact that your team is rather weak to both Ice and Ground.

6_charizard_1_m.png

Charizard@Wise Glasses/Choice Specs
Modest/Blaze
~Flamethrower
~Air Slash
~Dragon Pulse
~Hidden Power Grass/Focus Blast

Special Charzard, seeing as how your team is somewhat Physically orineted. Flamethrower is a reliable STAB move, being used over Fire Blast as Fire Blast's miss rate will mess with you, but run it by all means if you don't fear it. Air Slash gives you a good secondary STAB, and allows it to do whatever Noctowl was doing. Dragon Pulse gives great neutral coverage. It should be noted that Dragon+Fire is unresisted. The choice between Focus Blast and Hidden Power [Grass] comes down to if you're willing to rebreed or not. Hidden Power [Grass] is prefered, as it is a good counter to most of Charizard's weaknesses. However, should you not want to rebreed, Focus Blast is also an option, as it hits Charizard's 4x weakness to Rock. Choice Specs or Wise Glasses, depending on whether you;re comfortable with locking yourself into one move or not.

I'd also add Gengar somewhere on your team, as it rounds it off nicely, and can act as an alternative Ground Counter

94_gengar_1_m.png

Gengar@Wise Glasses
Timid/Levitate
~Shadow Ball
~Thunderbolt
~Energy Ball
~Focus Blast.

Wise Glasses is the item of choice, seeing how Gengar is somewhat frail. Shadow Ball is the STAB move of choice, as it's really the only Special STAB it has, barring Ominous Wind, which sucks regardless. Focus Blast allows you to hit Darks which dare to threaten it. Thunderbolt and Energy Ball are for coverage more than anything else. With Energy Ball, you can kill Ground Types, as Gengar completely resists Ground, thanks to Levitate.

Hope this helps.

Also, edit the OP so future rates can find out what has changed without having to read posts.

WaterTrainer243

Veteran Water Lover
Problem with a lot of these suggestions.

1. I don't have another Ampharos or other pokemon with the natures you people suggested.
2. Some of these attacks I already used the TM for or don't have.
3. Some of these items I either put on another pokemon or don't have.
4. I never replace my starter, period.
5. These pokemon are at a high enough level as it is, training another pokemon would take too long.

But I also have a few pokemon that I often change with these pokemon every so often. All of them are at levels 53 to 56.

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
Victreebel- Being an offensive Pokemon, it only has two good attacking moves that provide hardly any coverage, being the same type. Switch Stun Spore with another attack, such as Sucker Punch (move tutor) or Sludge Bomb.

Gyarados- It is a physical attacker. Therefore, it should have physical moves. Switch Hyper Beam and Hydro Pump with Waterfall/Stone Edge/Earthquake (choose 2). Keep Surf for obvious reasons (for surfing).

Feraligatr- Hydro Cannon is not very good. Switch it with Waterfall.

I don't have another Ampharos or other pokemon with the natures you people suggested.
Natures are completely optional. Use them only if you want.

3. Some of these items I either put on another pokemon or don't have.
Most of these items can be found in Battle Frontier

4. I never replace my starter, period.
Then get rid of Gyra. Having two Pokemon who do virtually the same thing is pointless.

These pokemon are at a high enough level as it is, training another pokemon would take too long.
Fair enough, I was just giving alternatives