• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

My custom Gen 3 Grass-type Gym Leader team: is it any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

appelpower

Sinnoh Champion
Hello everyone,

I've recently started making my own Gym Leader teams. This one is the one I like best, and I'd like to know if it's any good.

It's a Grass-type Gym in Hoenn. It's the second or third gym. The game mechanics (e.g. physical-special split) are therefore Gen 3 too. All of these Pokémon have Leech Seed, because that would be the reward TM. Not that it's a TM, but let's imagine it is, shall we?

Without further ado, here's the team:

;285; Shroomish
Ability: Effect Spore
Level: 16
- Mega Drain
- Headbutt
- Leech Seed
- Stun Spore

The first Pokémon to be sent out. Shroomish, while not particularly threatening, is a nuisance. It's got that annoying Effect Spore ability, which, alongside Stun Spore and surprisingly good bulk, is a good way to annoy opponents. Aside from that, there's Headbutt for (minor) damage, Mega Drain for healing and STAB, and Leech Seed for reward TM usage.

;274; Nuzleaf
Ability: Chlorophyll
Level: 17
- Bullet Seed
- Feint Attack
- Leech Seed
- Nature Power

The second Pokémon to be sent out. Definitely more powerful than Shroomish. Being more offensively-minded, Nuzleaf hits surprisingly hard with Faint Attack. Bullet Seed is the only non-OP Grass STAB available at this level (aside from the pathetic Absorb). It's not a particularly powerful move, but it's decent enough against Marshtomp users. Leech Seed is mandatory. Nature Power turns into Swift inside the Gym building, making it a fairly reliable and unique coverage move and filler.

;357; Tropius @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll/Thick Fat
Level: 19
- Razor Leaf
- Stomp
- Leech Seed
- Recycle

The last and most powerful Pokémon to be sent out. This is the Gym Leader's signature Pokémon. With its fantastic bulk, it can stay in for a long time. For attacking, it has powerful Razor Leaf STAB (with a high crit rate) and annoying flinchy Stomp for coverage. Leech Seed is once again mandatory, but this time, it's useful, considering Tropius' bulk and stalling capabilities. Recycle is illegal, but a nice replacement for the Harvest ability in Gen 5, which is what this Pokémon is all about. With Recycle, it gets its Sitrus Berry back, restoring 30 HP (about 40% of its health; Sitrus Berry didn't restore 25% until Gen IV onwards) when its HP drops below 50%. The ability choice depends on whether you want it to be legal or difficult to defeat. While Thick Fat makes sense, given Tropius' size, I think it's difficult enough to defeat with Chlorophyll.

So, what do you think?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.