• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

My Definitive Gaming/Editing PC

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
Right, I am back with yet another build! This time, I have tried to make my PC so that it can both play games extremely well, as well as edit videos for YouTube nicely and effectively.

This is what I have come up with:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/7M2tkL

I will add a SSD at a later date, as I will have no money left by the end of this build. I will also add another 8GB of RAM too.

Last edited:

Djura

99% chance to hit
Right, I am back with yet another build! This time, I have tried to make my PC so that it can both play games extremely well, as well as edit videos for YouTube nicely and effectively.

This is what I have come up with:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/RwQTFT

+ Arctic Cooling Compound

I will add a SSD at a later date, as I will have no money left by the end of this build. I will also add another 8GB of RAM too.

Hi again. The build looks good, it's just the PSU I would have to disagree with. Corsair's CX series have issues. It's not a high-end PSU, and it won't exactly last long either based on what I've read. Also, if you're looking for low noise levels, they are notorious for coil whine.

Even if you'd have to dial back your capacity by about 100, I'd suggest looking for a higher-quality PSU. I've had a great experience with SeaSonic, though I hear EVGA's Supernova series are great as well.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: clock speed on RAM doesn't really matter on Intel systems. If you did get sticks with high clock speeds, the difference would be minimal. You should probably get, at most, 1600Mhz RAM. Make sure to get a low CAS latency as well. G.Skill's a good brand, though, I'd recommend sticking to that.

EDIT 2: the heatsink you're getting comes with thermal paste.

Last edited:

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
Hi again. The build looks good, it's just the PSU I would have to disagree with. Corsair's CX series have issues. It's not a high-end PSU, and it won't exactly last long either based on what I've read. Also, if you're looking for low noise levels, they are notorious for coil whine.

Even if you'd have to dial back your capacity by about 100, I'd suggest looking for a higher-quality PSU. I've had a great experience with SeaSonic, though I hear EVGA's Supernova series are great as well.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: clock speed on RAM doesn't really matter on Intel systems. If you did get sticks with high clock speeds, the difference would be minimal. You should probably get, at most, 1600Mhz RAM. Make sure to get a low CAS latency as well. G.Skill's a good brand, though, I'd recommend sticking to that.

EDIT 2: the heatsink you're getting comes with thermal paste.

OK, I will look into a better PSU! Also, is it worth saving £5 by reducing the RAM speed from 2133Mhz to 1866Mhz?

EDIT: Updated OP with new PSU, slightly weaker, but is EVGA Supernova and is also a Gold series, not Bronze, and for about the same price!

Last edited:

Djura

99% chance to hit
OK, I will look into a better PSU! Also, is it worth saving £5 by reducing the RAM speed from 2133Mhz to 1866Mhz?

EDIT: Updated OP with new PSU, slightly weaker, but is EVGA Supernova and is also a Gold series, not Bronze, and for about the same price!

It's up to you, but like I said, the difference is minimal and lower CAS latencies are usually better.

Last edited:

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
It's up to you, but like I said, the difference is minimal and lower CAS latencies are usually better.

I'll try and find some Red G.Skillz 2x4GB 1600Mhz RAM then!

EDIT: OK done it! Guys, we cut £10 off of the build, congratulations to us!

Last edited:

John Madden

resident policy guy
iirc that heatsink actually comes with better paste than AS5

aside from that, it's a very solid build, though i'd see if i could fit an SSD in there somehow

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Looks good to me as well, where you're doing video editing though storage may be an issue. Not sure if you're going to be keeping your raw footage but it can eat up space pretty quickly, just 1TB may not be enough.

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
Looks good to me as well, where you're doing video editing though storage may be an issue. Not sure if you're going to be keeping your raw footage but it can eat up space pretty quickly, just 1TB may not be enough.

Literally, I am going to film like a 20 min episode, add the sound file to it, add intro and ending then upload and delete.

Removed the Arctic cooling compound, seeing as the heatsink comes with a better one, thanks for the heads up!

Also, how well do you think this PC will stand in 3-4 years time?

Last edited:

John Madden

resident policy guy
Also, how well do you think this PC will stand in 3-4 years time?

As far as major specs, you're set for about that long with the GPU and CPU (and possibly even longer, considering how long Z97's likely going to be relevant as a chipset), and should be okay-to-good with the RAM.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
There are a lot of good gaming mice. SteelSeries, Razer and Logitech's gaming series are all good choices. I'd recommend visiting a store to actually hold some of them if you can, because they all pretty well have the same features. Comfort would be the most important factor in my opinion.

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
OK, I originally was looking at the 2013 Razer Deathadder, but then I heard it didn't even compare to the Steelseries Rival, and I must say it looks much better, and it is over £10 cheaper! I want to try it out, however I have no idea where to look as I don't live anywhere near any technology stores ):

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I've tried both of those mice and picked the Death Adder as it was more comfortable in my opinion. Had it for two years now with no issue at all, I really like it.

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
Hey, I have recently been fiddling around with th original build, and I believe that I have built something equally as good for around about £100 less, which is great!

Just wanted your opinions on it though!

I saved about £40 on this case, which I quite like the deign of. I saved £30 on the OS and got about £10 off by changing the CPU Cooler and Optical Drive.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/C9GdJx