• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

My Fire Red Team. Suggestions welcome.

mew801

Hey everyone. Could you please look at my team and see if any improvements can be made. Please do not suggest non attacking moves, apart from Hypnosis and Sleep Powder, and I don't care about hold items and natures. I am unable to breed or trade and do not have multiple TM's

Thanks very much.

Charizard
Lvl 52
~Flamethrower
~Focus Punch/Dragon Claw/Fly (help here would be good thanks)
~Dig
~Slash

Vileplume
Lvl 47
~Giga Drain
~Moonlight
~Petal Dance
~Sleep Powder

Dragonite (Not actual moveset yet, just wanted to see what people thought)
Lvl 56
~Shock Wave
~Outrage
~Surf
~???

Poliwrath
Lvl 50
~Psychic
~Hypnosis/Ice Beam
~Surf
~Brick Break

I also think I need another Pokemon in this team, but I am not sure who to get. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks!
~mew801

Charizard
-Flamethrower
-Dragon Claw
-Wing Attack
-Brick Break/Earthquake

Vileplume
-Sunny Day
-Solarbeam
-Moonlight
-Sludge Bomb/Hidden Power Fire
Sunny Day is useful along with the Chlorophyll ability, or you could just try:
-Petal Dance
-Sludge Bomb
-Moonlight
-Sleep Powder.

Dragonite
-Outrage
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Wing Attack/Earthquake/Brick Break
The deal with Dragonite is that it has very similar moves as Charizard, so you'll want to diversify the one you have.

Poliwrath
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Body Slam
-Surf
Protect yourself with Substitute, then use Focus Punch. It's much more reliable than Hypnosis.
or:
-Brick Break
-Body Slam
-Surf
-Bulk Up/Ice Beam/Psychic
A little less risky overall, but with less power behind the fighting-type move.

As for another pokemon, you might want to get something with a higher special attack stat that can use Psychic, since it'll be helpful against Agatha. Poliwrath's is rather mediocre, but it could be worth a shot.

mew801

Yea I was thinking that, but I can't do Alakazam because I can't trade and I really don't want a Kadabra because they are pretty weak overall. But to be honest, for 1st gen, there arn't exactly millions of psychic types out there. That's why I thought Poliwrath with psychic would be helpful.

Thanks so much for your help.

TyranitarFan

Professional Badass
how about starmie as your six slot. he has good special attack, but sadly it also adds another water type.....

starmie
-ice beam
-thunderbolt
-psychic
-surf

mew801

Yea thanks for that, but I really do not want another water type.

I was really hoping that I could use Gengar, But I can't trade, so that wipes that idea out.

Clefable, Hypno, Mr. Mime, Jynx, and Electabuzz could learn Psychic and will have more power behind it than Poliwrath.

Shadow Ball is useful too. Nidoking, Weezing, Snorlax, Kangaskhan, and Flareon can all effectively use this move.

mew801

Yea I was thinking of using Snorlax.

What would be a good moveset for him?

At the moment he is....lvl 45 I think.

Snorlax
Lvl45
~Shadow Ball
~TBolt?
~???
~???

Just throwing ideas around here.

Any suggestions?

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
Yea I was thinking of using Snorlax.

What would be a good moveset for him?

At the moment he is....lvl 45 I think.

Snorlax
Lvl45
~Shadow Ball
~TBolt?
~???
~???

Just throwing ideas around here.
Any suggestions?
Snorlax should be utilized as a Defensive Pokemon.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Nature: Impish / Brave
Moves:
Curse
Rest
Body Slam
Earthquake / Shadow Ball

mew801

Snorlax should be utilized as a Defensive Pokemon.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Nature: Impish / Brave
Moves:
Curse
Rest
Body Slam
Earthquake / Shadow Ball

As I can't breed, could I use both EQ and Shadow Ball instead of Curse?

Snorlax
Lvl45
~Earthquake
~Rest
~Body Slam
~Shadow Ball

How does that look?

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
As I can't breed, could I use both EQ and Shadow Ball instead of Curse?

Snorlax
Lvl45
~Earthquake
~Rest
~Body Slam
~Shadow Ball

How does that look?

Sleep Talk over Shadow Ball or Earthquake so he can attack whilst asleep.

mew801

Sleep Talk over Shadow Ball or Earthquake so he can attack whilst asleep.

Ok, I think ill keep shadow ball because the main reason for another poke was to get past Agatha in the league, and my Charizard knows dig, so i think ill go with shadow ball

Thanks everyone

Ok, I think ill keep shadow ball because the main reason for another poke was to get past Agatha in the league, and my Charizard knows dig, so i think ill go with shadow ball

Thanks everyone

Yes, in this case, you should just use the necessary offensive moves. If it were the Battle Frontier, you would want to do a Rest + Sleep Talk set or a Rest + Curse set.

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
I have one question: are you going to consider breeding for Natures, EVs, and Moves after the E4 in Island 4?

Just in case you don't, changes in bold below.
Hey everyone. Could you please look at my team and see if any improvements can be made. Please do not suggest non attacking moves, apart from Hypnosis and Sleep Powder, and I don't care about hold items and natures. I am unable to breed or trade and do not have multiple TM's

Thanks very much.

Charizard
Lvl 52
~Flamethrower
~Wing Attack
~Earthquake
~Slash

Fire + Ground has good coverage. Wing Attack for STAB and Earthquake for Rock types.

Vileplume
Lvl 47
~ Solar Beam
~Moonlight
~Sunny Day
~Sleep Powder

Standard SunnyBeamer. Sunny Day will double her Speed and make Solar Beam a one-turn move.

Dragonite (Not actual moveset yet, just wanted to see what people thought)
Lvl 56
~Fire Blast
~Outrage
~Wing Attack
~Safeguard

Since her Support movepool is huge, Support options are viable due to her sturdiness. Safeguard prevents status to your whole team, a useful move. Wing Attack is STAB and Outrage gets excellent coverage with Fire. Fire Blast allows her to hit Grass types harder than Wing Attack.

Poliwrath
Lvl 50
~Ice Beam
~Hypnosis
~Surf
~Brick Break

Ice Beam will help more against Lance.

I also think I need another Pokemon in this team, but I am not sure who to get. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks!
~mew801

For your last question, I suggest you add a fast Sweeper like Tauros.

Tauros
- Earthquake
- Return
- Iron Tail
- Sleep Talk

Sleep Talk will allow you to combat Lorelei's Jynx, who will try to sleep you with Lovely Kiss, which you can absorb. The rest is self-explanitory.

Last edited:

mew801

I have one question: are you going to consider breeding for Natures, EVs, and Moves after the E4 in Island 4?

Just in case you don't, changes in bold below.

For your last question, I suggest you add a fast Sweeper like Tauros.

Tauros
- Earthquake
- Return
- Iron Tail
- Sleep Talk

Sleep Talk will allow you to combat Lorelei's Jynx, who will try to sleep you with Lovely Kiss, which you can absorb. The rest is self-explanitory.

Thanks for that. I am not planning on breeding them, as I really don't have the patience, so thanks for posting that.

M4zz

Banned
Having strong pokemon usually requiers breeding for certain moves and attributes. Maybe a Rhydon?
Rhydon
Megahorn
Rock Slide
Take Down
ThunderBolt

Just a suggestion. No big deal if you dont want it