• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

My First attempt in a Competitive Team

NovaStar

█ ▄ █ ▄
My First attempt in a Competitive Team [Updated]

For awhile now I've been thinking about going into the competitive scene I've got a good understanding of it and I'd like to see how I would fair. Any suggestions would be great.

73.png

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Nature: Calm (+ Sp. Defense, - Attack)
EV's: 252 Hp/ 120 Defense/ 136 Sp. Defense

Toxic Spikes
Rapid Spin
Barrier
Surf

[No Description yet]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spr_4h_227.png

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Nature: Jolly (+ Speed, - Sp. Attack)
EV's: 156 Hp/ 100 Defense/ 152 Sp. Defense/ 102 Speed

Roost
Spikes
Brave Bird
Whirlwind

Skarmory is the number one pest on my team. First setting up with several spikes to make sure that no focus band users will be able to use it. By now Tentacruel's toxic spikes should be on the field. This is were the fun begins, whirlwind would ensure that all of the the foes are effected by the regular and toxic spikes. Brave bird would be used to finish of weakened enemies and roost would be used if barrier and the leftovers aren't enough.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spr_4p_452.png

Drapion @ Iron Ball

Roar
Fling
Cross Poison
Swords Dance

[No Description yet]

Please tell me what you think of it so far and be brutally honest, I can take it.

Last edited:
To be brutally honest I don't see much coming out of this team so far. You might want to check out some teams here to get a general idea of what you're looking for in a team, the check out a few analyses here. Of course it helps to decide which tier you want to be playing in before you do this (Ubers, OU, UU or NU, although NU would be harder), as that means you can disregard irrelevant information. There are also some nice articles here that you can have a read of. Good luck~

Bulldozer968

Never use Sandstorm as a move... Skarmory NEEDS Roost and could do with Brave Bird as well. As for your lead, I think a Focus Sash would do it some good, but in general, I don't think it's a great lead anyway considering it can't do much damage outside of explosion and can't set up any entry hazards (like the all-important Stealth Rock). As for Hypno, you'd be much better off with a Blissey considering Hypno's less-than-desirable stats for walling and the high chance of the switcheroo tactic failing (from switching items with another Choice user, etc.)

NovaStar

█ ▄ █ ▄
Well thanks for the feedback. Now that you mention it I have much more holes in my team than I thought. Anyways after hearing everything I'm thinking of taking out Electrode and Hypno altogether and centering my team around Skarmory (Replacing sandstorm with roost). I'll sleep on this and continue refining my team tomorrow.

Last edited: