• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

My First BW team

Lucario 1

seeking shinies
Hi Guys. I am fairly new to competetive battling, and this is my first team for gen 5. I really liked the look of Rain Dance teams, in particular this funky fresh new dragonite that has been popping up. As such I decided to make a team around it. A bulky rain team is also a theme i want to use.

Team At A Glance

186.gif
149.gif
598.gif
454.gif
184.gif
145.gif

The Team Building Process

149.gif

Starting off with dragonite seems like a logical step. It is a bulky dragonite, designed for use in the rain. next i need something to set up the rain.

186.gif
149.gif

Politoed sets up permanent rain, and functions as a good lead. He is also bulky, so that he can stay alive to set up rain. Now I have my rain, nite needs some support. Something which can take ice moves, aswell as set up spikes or rocks

186.gif
149.gif
598.gif

Ferrothorn is a solid choice. I love this guy, hes ridiculously bulky, and can take so many things without breaking a sweat. His ability is pretty neat aswell. He also has fairly good synergy with the rest of the team thusfar, which resists fire, especially in the rain. Politoed can switch in onto a stab flare blitz and take it like a champ. Now I am thinking to myself, well this is all very well and good, but I could do with something that takes advantage of the rain. Ideally, I want something bulky aswell to take hits like the rest of the team. I do however need something with a lot of offensive power aswell, and since i already have nite as a special sweeper, i need something with physical power.

186.gif
149.gif
598.gif
454.gif

enter Toxicroak!! I love this thing. He is bulky, and gets dry skin healing every turn, which when combined with leftovers, makes him pretty tankish. He doesnt need that much speed, as he tends to KO the opponent in one hit anyway, and then simply recovers Hp ridiculously fast. Next up, I could do with something that has speed, and abuses it. I had my eye on kingdra, but swift swim is banned on Drizzle. No matter, i have something better

186.gif
149.gif
598.gif
454.gif
184.gif

Azumarill. Wow. This thing is insane. Huge Power+ Rain + Stab + choice band = stupidly large attack. Aqua jet guarantees priority. This thing not only functions as a revenge killer, but also easily takes down a lot of fragile sweepers, and things like TTar, hippow, and ninetails which set up other weather which otherwise shuts down my team. I now notice that i Have 3 pokemon on my team that are weak to electric type attacks, and paralysis is pretty bad to get for me. Something that absorbs electric attacks would be super handy.

186.gif
149.gif
598.gif
454.gif
184.gif
145.gif

DW Zaptos. Now I know this thing isnt released yet, so i would be happy to substitute it for something else. So far though this thing has been a joy. It absorbs thunderbolts and T waves, gets the SpA boost, and then Stab 100% accuracey thunder to kill. I made this thing bulky aswell, as to give it more survivability.

THE TEAM

politoed.png

Politoed@Leftovers
252hp/252def/4Sdef
Bold Nature
Drizzle

Scald
Toxic
Encore
Focus Blast

Obviously the main function of this thing is to set up infinate rain. This does by no means limit its capabilities. Scald gets Stab and rain boost, and has a good chance of getting a burn, which can completley shut down a lot of offensive leads. Encore Is Delightfull to use. A ferrothorn setting up rocks: trapped into encore, forcing a switch, and toxic on the incoming pokemon. Likewise, it can be used on pokemon trying to set up on politoed, or something which doesnt do quite as much damage as it thinks it will. Fake out works fantastically aswell, as does protect. There are just so many openings for it. Focus blast is super handy for things like TTar and Ferrothorn

dragonite.png

Dragonite@ Leftovers
224hp/252SpA/32Spe
Modest Nature
MultiScale

Hurricane
Thunder
Roost
Surf

The Core of my team. Nite takes hits well, and then OHKOs a lot of things with a STAB 100% accuracey hurricane, or a Thunder. Dragon tail also gets a bit of stab, and is handy for phazing, although it is useless against subs, and tends to miss a bit. I may change it for Surf to abuse the Rain more, or Dragon Pulse for a Stab, and a Neutral Hitting Move on most things. The Evs on Nite allow him to take hits well, and then kill most things that stay in on him.

598-detail.png

Ferrothorn@ Leftovers
252hp/48Def/208SDef
Relaxed Nature
Iron Barbs

Stealth Rocks
Power Whip
Leech Seed
Protect

Ferrothorn is Bulky. Fact. It can switch in on an ice attack to nite, or an electric attack to anything, or a dark attack to toed. It also has pretty good synergy with toed, as a burn/toxic combined with leach seed and protect stalling drains the enemy hp pretty darn fast. Power whip is insanely handy, and does more damage than you might think. I prefer it over gyro ball anyday, especially when i have azumarill which has a similar type coverage to gyro ball.

toxicroak.png

Toxicroak@ Leftovers
244hp/252Atk/12Spe
adamant nature
Dry Skin

Substitute
Focus Punch
Bulk Up
Sucker Punch

Toxicroak is a beast. Sets up sub on the first turn, or on a switch. Regains pretty much all of the Hp lost, and then focus punches to death. Drain punch does offer recovery, but tbh, its not needed, and focus punch is just raw Stab Power. Croak can switch in on water attacks, and then sub away. Sucker punch is a handy little surprise, incase focus punch doesnt quite finish off the enemy. Due to croaks relatively low speed, SP is just handy to have anyway. Bulk Up allows him to become extremely long lasting, and hard to kill with physical attacks, especially as the subs become increasingly hard to break, and the Hp is constantly being recovered

azumarill.png

Azumarill@choice Band
232hp/252Atk/12SpDef
Huge Power

Aqua Jet
Waterfall
SuperPower
Ice Punch

This thing is so good at cleaning up. It also thrives as a revenge killer, and at general sweeping of anything that doesnt resist it. Aqua jet is used 90% of the time. Waterfall is there for more power if speed isnt an issue, but tbh, i havent actually ever used it yet, so any suggestions?. Superpower is there for steels, and Ice Punch for dragons. Huge power + Rain = x 4 atk. add in Stab and you get x6 attack. Choice band rounds it up to a Whopping x9 attack !!!!!!!!

zapdos.png

Zapdos@ Leftovers
248hp/228def/16Spdef/16Spe
Bold Nature
Lightningrod

Thunder
HP Ice
Roost
Roar

A Defensive Zaptos?!!??? Yup. And it works too. No SpAtk Evs needed, as this thing is strong enough for its purpose anyway, especially if it gets a lightingrod Boost. Thunder gets 100% accuracy in the rain, and actually can kill a lot of things, even without evs. Roost gives recovery, and roar phazes out subs, and boosters, rather handily. I know this thing isnt released yet, so an alternative suggestion would be appreciated, but as it stands, this thing has been extremely handy.

So there you go, thats my team. Any constructive criticism is more than welcome. To help you if i can, here are some ovservations:

Rocks hurt, a lot. They cripple zaptos, and bloody hurt nite.

Ive had a few encounters with reniculous. Its pretty darn hard to kill with my team, as magic guard prevents toxic/seed/burn damage, and it usually gets to set up a calm mind. Croak can get it down to 50% with a sucker punch, but then it psycics and OHKO's him, and then just recovers back up.

Last edited:

Utopian

faults & feats
for toxicroak

toxicroak @ black sludge
Jolly
dry skin
32 hp/ 226 att/ 252 speed
-sub / earthquake
-SD
-sucker punch
-drain punch / FP

just a thought because your only real offensive pokemon is azumaril which isnt as reliable cause your stuck with one move =/

nice team, but a half decent sub for zapdos in the meantime would be jolteon, who has the same ability as well as being blisteringly fast, and with boosted sp. attack, can be a powerful threat.

jolteon@life orb
thunder
shadow ball
volt change/shadow ball
hp ice

shadow ball for coverage, or volt change for switch in advantage. you already have a good flying type so the lack of secondary typing shouldn't be a problem

JASP01

Illust. Grand Master
If you want a sub-punch Toxicroak, use what I do. --Note-- This is *incredibly* risky, BUT I have 1hko'd skarms, blisseys, and heatrans... All in the same fight once!
(EV ATT+Speed; Jolly)[Black Sludge]
-Swagger
-Subst
-Focus Punch
-Sucker Punch

Dragonite: Replace DT with Draco Meteor or Outrage... Probably Outrage. DT is for T-wave Spreaders.

Instead of the Jolteon, here's something I use that has never failed me... Really hard to predict as well:

Raikou [Life Orb] (Timid/EV Sp. Att+Speed)
-Rain Dance (in case Toed dies and trouble arrives)
-Thunder
-Weather Ball
-Aura Sphere

^he wants something to absorb special attacks, though :/

but yes, the raikou could be an asset.

legendarypokemonmaster

Jolteon has volt absorb, not lightningrod. You may want to use Starmie because it is great and can help keep rocks away. Forretress and Ferrothorn(if it can know rapid spin) would work as well.

Lucario 1

seeking shinies
Hi Guys, Thanks for all the suggestions. I have made the following changes

SD on Croak over ice punch, makes it much more beastly

After some debate I went for surf on nite over dragon tail, Draco meteor, or dragon pulse, as surf gets the rain boost, and just helps with nites coverage.

I Tried Jolteon on this Team, but it just doesnt find a place. Sure its fast, and it takes electric attacks, but its extremely frail, which is not what I need :/

Fa7e

Dragonite@ Leftovers
224hp/252SpA/32Spe
Modest Nature
MultiScale

Hurricane
Thunder
Roost
Surf/Draco Meteor

Dragon tails kind of a waste on this dragonite set, he should run another Special Attack and try to hit as much as he can hard

Toxicroak@ Leftovers
244hp/252Atk/12Spe
adamant nature
Dry Skin

Substitute
Bulk Up
Drain Punch
Sucker Punch

or

Substitute
Swords Dance
Drain Punch
Sucker Punch

Bold .

Lucario 1

seeking shinies
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

After some experimentation, trying bulk up and Drain punch on Croak, the best moveset for this team i have found for him, is using Bulk up and Focus Punch. Drain punch just doesnt have the power needed, and croak can recover Hp fairly quickly anyway with rain in place.