• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

My First Competitive Team: Rain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapter

hello, im back sorta
I am new to competitive where I only have battled once, and since this team wasn't ready, I was only able to take out the lead pokemon with my in-game team. I have created a competitive team in order to have better battles. The 6 pokemon are...

;130; Gyarados@Intimidate
~Bashful~Female~Alert to Sounds
Rain Dance
Aqua Tail
Thunder
Dradon Tail

He isn't my lead, but he is a rain dancer. His intimidate will help a ton. I know his nature isn't ideal with bashful, but at least it's neutral. Aqua Tail and Thunder are both impacted greatly by Rain Dance, and Dragon Tail is for Electric types like Lanturn who will sweep Gyarados.

;306; Aggron@Rock Head
~Timid~Male~Alert to Sounds
Metal Sound/Metal Burst
Ice Beam
Aerial Ace
Stone Edge

I know, I know, this is probably the worst Aggron you've ever seen. Timid, really!? Rock Head with no head smash!? What?! Well, I'm hoping to either just. catch a new one, or have my friend to breed me a Head Smash Aron with Rock Head, or just a sturdy. I think that the move set at least has good coverage.

;089; Muk@Stench
~Rash~Female~Loves to Eat
Sludge Wave
Fire Blast
Thunder
Attract

Could this team get worse. A Muk!? Well, I guess he could be okay in NU...
Well here he is in a team. Taking advantage of Rain Dance, he knows Thunder, but when it isn't raining, he's got Fire Blast. Attract helps very much too. Sludge Wave is just for accuracy, because I don't like a "Risky" pokemon. He is kind of like, my Status Tank. I mean, he has 4 status moves.

;376; Metagross@Light Metal
~Gentle~None~Somewhat Stubborn
Bullet Punch
Psychic
Meteor Mash
Rain Dance

Here, is my lead. Now, finally, a good pokemon. But hey, wait. Light metal!!! Why??!!??!! I don't actually know why. I got him off of Dream Radar, and I don't feel like getting another Beldum. Plus, his nature is Gentle. Not terrible, but He doesn't have Adamant or Jolly which would be ideal. He starts with Bullet Punch or Rain Dance. At least he has a good movepool. I mean, he really could be worse.

;135; Jolteon@Volt Absorb
~Careful~Male~Loves to Eat
Signal Beam
Magnet Rise
Thunder
Charge Beam

Well, this makes sense. But Geez, these natures are terrible. This is the only pokemon from my in-game team. Good moveset. Charge Beam + Thunder combo in the rain, plus, STAB* makes a perfect combo.*(Is thunder a STAB move?) I really thought this one through. Magnet Rise to obviously, get away from super-effectiveness, and Signal Beam for Psychics, and Dark types; great move, especially for worst case scenario like Resto Berry Krookodiles.

:593: Jellicent@Cursed Body
~Mild~Male~Capable of Taking Hits
Rain Dance
Water Spout
Shadow Ball
Scald

My third dancer. And, at least this sweeper has a good nature. Decent moveset. I mean, it makes sense. Not much to say about this though. Basic Jellicent. I mean, there really is nothing special about him. He's your average dude. I mean, for a Jellicennt of course.

I will not be switching out a lot of pokemon unless you have plenty of reasons that I find valid. Please don't be rude or laugh or anything at this set, as it's my first. I will obviously switch out Aron eventually, maybe even for a better replacement. This took a lot of work, so don't be mean. XD Thanks for help!

Red is BOOTED
Blue is QUESTIONABLE
Black is STAY
~Team needs help, EVs coming soon!

*Jellicent will be C.Specs, but metagross and gyarados will not be C.banded

Last edited:

Atrocious

Not to be harsh, but honestly I don't even know where to start. The team has so many problems, from terrible movesets to no EVs and items, no synergy at all and just a terrible fit for a rain team. For starters, my favorite Pokemon Gyarados should never have special attacks. It has a SpA of what, 61? Something like that. I used a CB Gyarados on my rain team which worked nicely. Honestly, you should watch a few battles, head to Smogon and look over some movesets and read other RMTs just to learn about competitive battling. Smogon has a tutoring program or something so maybe give that a shot.

Chapter

hello, im back sorta
Geez...
Sorry a newb didn't fit ur standards.
If ud even read the last paragraph, it says not to be mean.

Also they have items i just didnt post them. And, that really wasnt helpful at all. I know what competitive is and I know smogon. plz, just, be more considerate. u couldve said, "I dont think gyarados is a good SP.A. sweeper. his stats favor attack." like really. no need to troll me. ...

EDIT: Sorry, I was being rude. I changed gyarados's set. Better? plz, try to be more considerate and helpful, rather than erupting on a starter in competitive.

Also... name the bad moveset you see? (other than muk XD)

Last edited:

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
Geez...
Sorry a newb didn't fit ur standards.
If ud even read the last paragraph, it says not to be mean.

Also they have items i just didnt post them. And, that really wasnt helpful at all. I know what competitive is and I know smogon. plz, just, be more considerate. u couldve said, "I dont think gyarados is a good SP.A. sweeper. his stats favor attack." like really. no need to troll me. ...

EDIT: Sorry, I was being rude. I changed gyarados's set. Better? plz, try to be more considerate and helpful, rather than erupting on a starter in competitive.

True he should have been nicer, but he is right. This thread will just get locked if you don't add EVs and give more descriptive descriptions.

loco1234

BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
I find it kinda funny how many in-game teams I'm seeing on the competitive forums (I'm guessing based on the lack of EVs and the "love to eat" things on all your Pokes)...

Gyarados should never run a Special attack, not even Thunder.

Aggron is just.... Bad....

Muk, see Aggron

Metagross, what kinda set is this? Try an Agility set. Metagross is much better off that way with purely Physical attacks

Jolteon doesn't need Magnet Rise. Switch it to Gyarados if you see a Ground move coming. Charge Beam should only be run with 3 other Special attacks that give reasonable coverage. Right now, you have Thunder, redundant but understandable, and Signal Beam, which is awful. Use Shadow Ball and Hidden Power Ice/Grass.

Jellicent is not a standard Jellicent. Specs Jellicent is viable, but it should never run Rain Dance. It should be using a set of Water Spout/Ice Beam/Shadow Ball/Energy Ball, or similar. Yours clearly lacks Specs, as it runs Rain Dance. For that matter, you have no Swift Swimmers, so where is your Politoed? It removes the need for Rain Dance entirely.

We also need to see your EV spreads. I cannot give full suggestions of how to change Pokes you already have without knowing your current spreads and why you use them.

I do love Rain teams though, I've had great success on PO with mine. I'll be glad to help, but there isn't a whole lot I can do with this besides what I've got here. If you can give me a starting point to work from, I can definitely help you.

Last edited:

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
Swift Swim is banned with Drizzle Politoad.

loco1234

BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
I know. I'm saying he has no Swift Swimmers. So he CAN use DrizzleToed, but he isn't.

Sietse23

*Brainfarts*
1. Add EV's
2. This is not on a simulator I suppose, so you might aswell add IV's
3. Once that is done, I'll be glad to help you out ;)

Chapter

hello, im back sorta
Thank u every one. Ya, my aggron sucks. I m waiting for a head smash aron from my friend. I am really sorry, but i cant give EVs cuz i havent finished training. : (
Though, I like the moveset Ideas. Theres just one problem that I (am sorry for-) need u to work around. with meta as my lead, Id like em to know rain dance. Also, I would be more than happy to change the following pkmn- Muk, jolteon, aggron- to another poke (replacement) or most likly in aggrons case, a brand new one of the same species. My Muk is kinda someone i, idk, threw in as a 6th poke. I want to use choicespecs jellicent, but where do u get those? thru BP? also, i m thinking (if he isnt booted) that jolteon would hold a life orb. he did great against a thunderous (incarnate), paralyzing him and getting his damage half way down on a level 100 thunderos, where jolt is 67. Yea, I am INTENSLY open to suggestions (just not that first one ;_; ) lol. THXXXXXXX

EDIT: BTW, sand veil isnt allowed, right? along with swift swim? cuz those would be great. I have a really good kingdra i was thinking of using, but i dont think swift swim is allowed...

2nd EDIT:
I find it kinda funny how many in-game teams I'm seeing on the competitive forums (I'm guessing based on the lack of EVs and the "love to eat" things on all your Pokes)...

No, this isnt an ingame team, its just a terrible one. My ingame team was emboar, jolteon, relicanth, altaria, steelix, amoongus.

Last edited:

redpanda15

Ready to go
I can see that you are doing this on your DS, which can indeed by problematic with all the breeding and perfect IV's. Most of us battle on Online Simulators so that we can change out teams with the push of a button. Check out some of these. It will help you see some weak points in your team, and also try reading some tutorials or articles on Smogon that will help you get the hang of things. I'd suggest taking slower steps rather than posting a team and getting some not very nice comments. Hope this helps.

loco1234

BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
I am really sorry, but i cant give EVs cuz i havent finished training.

Tells me this is an in-game team xD It should be in the In-Game RMT forum....

Our suggestions typically assume simulators, which means no difficulty with movesets, Natures, Traits and EVs/IVs, as they can be anything it is possible for that Poke to have. And that there is nothing stopping you from using whatever Pokes you need/want to use.

Chapter

hello, im back sorta
Mmm. Ok. And yes, I have read the Smogon tutorials, as I will try to pust planned EVs soon. Also, this is on the DS. I know that there are online battles, though I am not really sure of them... Like, everything 'bout them. That on Smogon too?

Atrocious

I don't mean to present myself as a mean person, but I don't know how to approach it where I seem "nice". The team had alot of problems, I addressed where and I got the impression that you don't understand competitive battling much so I offered a solution where you could get a chance to learn the battling scene more. Basically there's a few types of Rain teams; The Hyper Offense types where you use Rain Dance + Swift Swim and Rain Abusers, Balanced Rain with DrizzleToad, and more defensive, stall-orientated teams with DrizzleToad + Rain Dish/Hydration users and other defensive Pokemon that benefit from rain (Ferrothorn to name, etc). Anyways, whatever choice you lean with is up to you, just let us know.

loco1234

BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
Smogon and PO ARE online battles. In fact, that's all they are really. And it's what Serebii means by "competitive" too xD

Anyway, your question:

No, Swift Swim is not banned unless you are using Drizzle Politoed. Which you should be if you aren't using Swift Swim.

Chapter

hello, im back sorta
O ok. So, i can use politoed if i dont use another pokemon that knows swift swim?

loco1234

BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
Yep, and it's a REALLY good idea to.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan

Gyarados should never run a Special attack, not even Thunder.

Aggron is just.... Bad....

Muk, see Aggron

Metagross, what kinda set is this? Try an Agility set. Metagross is much better off that way with purely Physical attacks

Jolteon doesn't need Magnet Rise. Switch it to Gyarados if you see a Ground move coming. Charge Beam should only be run with 3 other Special attacks that give reasonable coverage. Right now, you have Thunder, redundant but understandable, and Signal Beam, which is awful. Use Shadow Ball and Hidden Power Ice/Grass.

Jellicent is not a standard Jellicent. Specs Jellicent is viable, but it should never run Rain Dance. It should be using a set of Water Spout/Ice Beam/Shadow Ball/Energy Ball, or similar. Yours clearly lacks Specs, as it runs Rain Dance. For that matter, you have no Swift Swimmers, so where is your Politoed? It removes the need for Rain Dance entirely.

We also need to see your EV spreads. I cannot give full suggestions of how to change Pokes you already have without knowing your current spreads and why you use them.

I do love Rain teams though, I've had great success on PO with mine. I'll be glad to help, but there isn't a whole lot I can do with this besides what I've got here. If you can give me a starting point to work from, I can definitely help you.

I agree with everything except that bit about Mixed Metagross. While AgiliGross is by far the best Metagross, MixGross is still a force to be reckoned with. I tried a friend of mines set and it works great.

Metagross @ Life Orb / Air Balloon
Rash or Mild - Clear Body
252 Attack, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 HP
-Meteor Mash
-Psychic
-Hidden Power (Electric)
-Earthquake

This set excels in that it can power past things that normally wall it, like Skarmory.

loco1234

BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
Good to know, I might have to give it a shot sometime. I use AgiliGross on my Steel team (although I think you know that already xD), but maybe if I want to change it up ever I'll try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.