• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

My First Competitive Team!

PokeTrainerJay

High in the Sky
Hey there! I am new to competitive battling and I don't battle in a certain tier so this is just a random team I wanted to get rated by you guys. I am open to suggestions to make my team better but I won't take Porygon2 out, I love him! Also I don't worry about EV's but I will put the ones I do know.

Anyway on to my team:

;233; Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability - Download
Nature - Bold
252 hp/ 128 def/ 128 sp.def.
- Recover
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

This guy is my lead. I use Thunder Wave first and then Ice Beam or Thunderbolt. Recover is for Recovery. He has swept a team in the Battle Subway once.

;445; Garchomp @ None
Ability - Sand Veil
Nature - Adamant
252 atk/ 252 speed/ 4 hp
- Brick Break
- Sandstorm
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Well Sandstorm is to get it's ability underway and then Brick Break is for Ice Types. The other 2 are for STAB.

;094; Gengar @ None
Ability - Levitate
Nature - Timid
252 sp.atk/ 252 speed/ 4 hp
- Hidden Power (Fire)
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

This one basically is to hit anything and hopefully hit hard.

;530; Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability - Sand Rush
Nature - Adamant
252 atk/ 252 speed/4 hp
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Swords Dance to raise Attack, QuakeSlide combo and I dunno what Rapid Spin is for I dunno, Any suggestions for changes.

;482; Azelf @ None
Ability - Levitate
Nature - Timid
252 sp.atk/ 252 speed/ 4 hp
- Psychic
- Nasty Plot
- Flamethrower
- Grass Knot

NP is for boost and others for doing damage. I am not sure if people allowed legends like Azelf in normal battles so if they don't any other suggestions for it?

;598; Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet?
Ability - Iron Barbs
Nature - Relaxed
252 hp/ 128 def/ 128 sp.def.
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Curse

SR is for damage when the opponent switches in. Leech Seed for health, Power Whip to deal damage and Curse to add bulk.

Well that is my team. Changes are welcome but don't suggest Tyranitar as I want to try something different. I won't change it here but I will consider Pokemon changes.

Last edited:

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'
Oh, so you only play Wi-Fi competitively? Neat.

Anyways, if you plan on boarding the Haxtrain then...you MIGHT want 2 consider taking Focus Blast offa Gengar...2 avoid any...unseen predicaments if you know what I mean...FB already has some shaky accuracy. Replace it with Destiny Bond or something so you can take something your others would have trouble with out. Also, you might wanna give them items. Oh and replace Brick Break with Fire Fang on your Garchomp.

Last edited:

PokeTrainerJay

High in the Sky
^ Well this is for the Train and battles with others. And how can I give Gengar Destiny Bond? Same with Garchomp? I also know about the items. I was hoping some people would suggest some good items for them that I can get in Black.

Also anyone got any other Pokemon suggestions?

Mayu808

GIGA DRILL BREAK!!!!
I like playing randomly on wifi too, but if that's the case then this team belongs in the in game RMT. You seriously need the ev's for this, or at least make them up, and try to decide on a tier. I commend you for just playing to play but this doesn't follow the rules atm. Once again, apologies if this is minimodding.

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'
^ Well this is for the Train and battles with others. And how can I give Gengar Destiny Bond? Same with Garchomp? I also know about the items. I was hoping some people would suggest some good items for them that I can get in Black.

Also anyone got any other Pokemon suggestions?

Gengar should be able 2 learn it via level up and I just did the research 4 Garchomp. Turns out he can only learn it via Move Tutor.

PokeTrainerJay

High in the Sky
Aw Gengar is Level 100 and so is Garchomp. Move tutor in which Gen, 4 or 5?

@Mayu, I know but it isn't an In game team. I use it for wi-fi.

Mayu808

GIGA DRILL BREAK!!!!
well you still need the Ev spread or it'll get closed. So, yeah, just make something up and it should be fine till someone else says otherwise.

PokeTrainerJay

High in the Sky
Updated them. I am really unsure about Porygon2 though. I know most of the rest.

Mayu808

GIGA DRILL BREAK!!!!
Yup, that looks fine. Try putting 252 hp, 128 defense, 128 special defense on pory. keeps him as a great mixed wall with the eviolite.

PokeTrainerJay

High in the Sky
Hm yeah I might try that. Tbh I think it that might be the spread. I'll put that for now.

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'
Aw Gengar is Level 100 and so is Garchomp. Move tutor in which Gen, 4 or 5?

@Mayu, I know but it isn't an In game team. I use it for wi-fi.

Gengar should still be able 2 learn from the Move Relearner in the current Gen as well. Seeing as it was a level-up move. Not sure about Garchomp but it'd be worth a shot...

Mayu808

GIGA DRILL BREAK!!!!
In mistralton. fly their, then it's the house on the right. you can get heart scales in drfitveil but I forgot which house.

Vecte

First and foremost, EVs are by far one of the most important, if not the most important thing in any sort of competitive play. EVs are what's going to allow you to win, not just help you win. Without proper EVs, expect to lose frequently. Just 4 EVs in one stat can make the difference between a 1HKO and a 2HKO, or whether you or your opponent strikes first. Seriously, look into them please.

Gengar needs Substitute, and since he is playing on a Sandstorm team essentially, he needs Leftovers (which he should have regardless).

Next, Garchomp needs to be changed to a Jolly nature. Take advantage of the reason why he is considered Uber, his speed. With that said, Choice Scarf is by far his best set:
move 1: Outrage
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Dragon Claw
move 4: Stone Edge
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Finally, you need a Sand Stream Pokemon. Personally, I'd drop Azelf for a MixTar lead:
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Crunch
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: Ice Beam
item: Leftovers
nature: Sassy
evs: 252 HP / 180 SpA / 76 SpD

PokeTrainerJay

High in the Sky
^ I know about EV's just that most of these Pokemon I got in trades, So I don't know what EV's they have.

And yeah I did have a Tyranitar but I need it for my Dark gym team so I might consider your Tyranitar set. I need to get a Sassy Larvi now. Also is SR an Egg move or can it learn it by level up? And for Chomp. I am not keen on Outrage as I don't like confusion. Same with Stone Edge and accuracy.

Vecte

Stealth Rock is chain bred onto Tyranitar through Aron or Shieldon.

Also, Outrage is one of the best attacking moves in the game, period. Confusion is never going to be an issue, simply because you are going to switch him out as soon as it ends regardless. Outrage is going to one-shot anything that doesn't resist, or isn't a defensive wall.

PokeTrainerJay

High in the Sky
Hm yeah I suppose I could consider it, Thanks for the suggestion. Anything I should use DD Scrafty? I like them and they're good.