• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

My first competitve team, comments appreciated

speedbump07

I have just recently started playing Pokemon competitively, but so far I’ve been pretty good at it (In my opinion anyway)

So, I just wanted to put up the team I’ve been using to a rather good win margin for comments and possible suggestions for improvement. I mostly use it for double battles, though occasionally but not often, in triples.

Gliscor(F) @ Poison Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Nature: Impish
4 hp/252 Atk/ 252 Spd
-Fling
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Acrobatics

The newest edition to my team, but synergizing quite nicely with everyone else. She’s my first co-lead Her main role is to take out as many Pokemon as possible before going down. Poison Heal helps survivability, Fling for a free poison and to free up Acrobatics, Earthquake for obvious reasons, and Acrobatics for obvious reasons as well. Thundurus and Tornadus can’t really do much to her most of the time.

Whimsicott (M) @ Grass Gem
Ability: Prankster
Nature: Bold
252 hp/ 252 SAtk/ 4 Spd
-Encore
-Cotton Guard
-Leech Seed
-Giga Drain

The most annoying (to the opponent) member of my team, and my second co-lead. Encore shuts down Fake Out users and status users, Cotton Guard for massive defense boosts, Leech Seed for healing, and Giga Drain for attacking, healing, and preventing taunt shut-down. Grass Gem boosts Giga drain since his special attack isn’t all that high.

Chandelure(M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Modest
4 hp/ 252 SAtk/ 252 Spd
-Overheat
-Energy Ball
-Shadow Ball
-Psychic

My revenge killer, or special sweeper, depending on the team. Overheat for tremendous power, Energy Ball for coverage, Shadow Ball for STAB and coverage, and Psychic for the ever common Fighting types. Hasn’t seen much use in the new team, but a necessary part of it.

Hydreigon (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
4 hp/ 252 SAtk/ 252 Spd
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast
-Dark Pulse
-Surf

Tri-headed death. Draco Meteor OHKO’s or very near fainting most everything except steels and the like. Fire Blast takes care of said steels and the ever deadly ice types. Dark Pulse for STAB and possible flinching, and surf for coverage. Often paired with Latios, who takes surf like a champ. Blizzard is a horrible problem though.

Latios (M) @ Leftovers
Nature: Timid
4 hp/ 252 SAtk/ 252 Spd
-Dragon Pulse
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Psychic

My speedy, special jack of all trades. Dragon Pulse for STAB and reliability, Thunderbolt for coverage, Ice Beam for the ever common Garchomp, Genie trio, and Dragonite. Psychic for powerful STAB. Good for many types, often paired with Hydreigon, Gliscor, or Whimsicott. Again, Blizzard is a big problem, but his special defense can take it sometimes.

Scizor (M) @ Iron Plate (temporary)
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
4 hp/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spd
-Bullet Punch
-Acrobatics
-Brick Break
-U-turn

My other Physcial attacker, and my salvation against the evil ice types. Bullet Punch for powerful STAB and priority, and to take out ice types which most of my team hate, Acrobatics for good coverage, Brick Break for breaking Barrier, Reflect and Blissey, and U-turn for baiting fire attacks for Chandelure.

So, that’s my team, constructive criticism and comments are appreciated ^^

I have just recently started playing Pokemon competitively, but so far I’ve been pretty good at it (In my opinion anyway)

So, I just wanted to put up the team I’ve been using to a rather good win margin for comments and possible suggestions for improvement. I mostly use it for double battles, though occasionally but not often, in triples.

Gliscor(F) @ Poison Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Nature: Impish
252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Spe
-Fling
-Swords Dance/Protect
-Earthquake
-Acrobatics
I wouldn't recommend Fling for Gliscor, since once you use Fling you'll have an empty moveslot. anyways, use this EVs and you could use Protect to stall
The newest edition to my team, but synergizing quite nicely with everyone else. She’s my first co-lead Her main role is to take out as many Pokemon as possible before going down. Poison Heal helps survivability, Fling for a free poison and to free up Acrobatics, Earthquake for obvious reasons, and Acrobatics for obvious reasons as well. Thundurus and Tornadus can’t really do much to her most of the time.

Whimsicott (M) @ Grass Gem
Ability: Prankster
Nature: Bold
252 Def / 248 SDef / 8 Speed
-Encore
-Taunt/Cotton Guard
-Leech Seed
-Giga Drain
You should have Taunt for taunt users, Prankster gives priority so you'll move first
The most annoying (to the opponent) member of my team, and my second co-lead. Encore shuts down Fake Out users and status users, Cotton Guard for massive defense boosts, Leech Seed for healing, and Giga Drain for attacking, healing, and preventing taunt shut-down. Grass Gem boosts Giga drain since his special attack isn’t all that high.

Chandelure(M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
4 hp/ 252 SAtk/ 252 Spd
-Overheat
-Energy Ball
-Shadow Ball
-Psychic/Hidden Power Ground
Hidden Power Ground for Fire types like Heatran
My revenge killer, or special sweeper, depending on the team. Overheat for tremendous power, Energy Ball for coverage, Shadow Ball for STAB and coverage, and Psychic for the ever common Fighting types. Hasn’t seen much use in the new team, but a necessary part of it.

Hydreigon (M) @ Life Orb
Nature: Modest/Timid
4 hp/ 252 SAtk/ 252 Spd
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast
-Dark Pulse
-Surf

Tri-headed death. Draco Meteor OHKO’s or very near fainting most everything except steels and the like. Fire Blast takes care of said steels and the ever deadly ice types. Dark Pulse for STAB and possible flinching, and surf for coverage. Often paired with Latios, who takes surf like a champ. Blizzard is a horrible problem though.

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs / Life Orb
Nature: Timid
4 hp/ 252 SAtk/ 252 Spd
-Draco Meteor
-Thunderbolt/Hidden Power Fire
-Surf
-Psyshock
This latios set is insane, I still don't know why he isn't uber yet lol. Anyways, Psyshock > Psychic for Sp walls like Blissey.
My speedy, special jack of all trades. Dragon Pulse for STAB and reliability, Thunderbolt for coverage, Ice Beam for the ever common Garchomp, Genie trio, and Dragonite. Psychic for powerful STAB. Good for many types, often paired with Hydreigon, Gliscor, or Whimsicott. Again, Blizzard is a big problem, but his special defense can take it sometimes.

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band / Life Orb (temporary)
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
4 hp/ 252 Atk/ 252 HP
-Bullet Punch
-Pursuit
-Brick Break
-U-turn
Choice band Scizor is amazing, but if you don't want to be trapped then use Life Orb.
My other Physcial attacker, and my salvation against the evil ice types. Bullet Punch for powerful STAB and priority, and to take out ice types which most of my team hate, Acrobatics for good coverage, Brick Break for breaking Barrier, Reflect and Blissey, and U-turn for baiting fire attacks for Chandelure.

So, that’s my team, constructive criticism and comments are appreciated ^^

Changes in bold
4 of 6 pokemons in your team are weak to ice.. once Chandelure's down, an Ice pokemon can sweep your team...

Shreyas

First off, Grass Gem isn't all that useful. It can only be used once, and you are better off with more defensive spreads. So, 252 HP / 252 Def should do better. I think Sub or Taunt would do you better than that Giga Drain, but that could be just me. Give him lefties

Well, you have no spinners, and that Chandelure will be switching out a lot. Especially with that Overheat. I suggest finding room for Rapid Spinning to kinda save this. And this thing is dead to Heatrans. And, Psychic isn't too reliable. Yes, I know, kills fighting types. I think an Overheat could potentially take out Conkeldurrs or possibly 2HKO. And, HP Ground would be great against Heatrans.

On Hydreigon, some speed could be really useful. So, Timid > Modest.

On latias, you might as well go for a choice item, and find room for HP Fire. I think HP Fire, Psychic, Dragon Pulse, and Calm Mind would be much more reliable to set up and sweep. The less amount of choice users the better with a team w/o Rapid Spin (IMO).

On Scizor, once again, the plate... don't use it. And, instead of Acrobat, you could run the banded set given in the 2nd post. OR, you could go for the Specially defensive Swords Dance set, which can take out many threats as well as take out some Ice Types.

And, overall, you could use a good amount of tanks... your team goes down pretty quickly to Lati@s if you Chandelure can't take it out with Shadow Ball. With some Clam Minds up, I'm pretty sure they would.

speedbump07

Changes in bold
4 of 6 pokemons in your team are weak to ice.. once Chandelure's down, an Ice pokemon can sweep your team...

Yeah, I hate my ice weakness, but Scizor and Chandelure help a little. Hail teams aren't too common anyway. Still working on that though...

Anyway, on Gliscor, Fling frees up for Acrobatics, and has the bonus of 100% badly poisoning someone. Earthquake and Acrobatics can take out many things, and the pokes it can't touch, the other team members can.

On Whimsicott, Taunt is not worth much, since the Genie trio are still faster most of the time, and I can KO them with latios most of the time anyway, so taunt wouldn't be worth much, since they are the most used taunters. Also, Cotton Guard makes Whimsicott an amazing phyisical wall.

On Chandelure, he's flawless, so it's hidden Power dark I'm afraid ^^;

On Hydreigon, I agree more speed would be nice, but Modest adds enough power that I can get some crucial OHKO's at times.

On Latios, I agree on the choice specs, lefties are temporary until I get enough BP. Hydreigon already has surf and Draco meteor, so thats a bit redundant, and as long as Latios is faster, he can usually KO with dragon pulse on a fellow dragon. And again, he's flawless, so HP dark :/ I might try Psyshock though.

On Scizor, I agree with the choice band, but same problem as latios. I might give pursuit a try ^^

Thanks for your comments.

speedbump07

First off, Grass Gem isn't all that useful. It can only be used once, and you are better off with more defensive spreads. So, 252 HP / 252 Def should do better. I think Sub or Taunt would do you better than that Giga Drain, but that could be just me. Give him lefties

Well, you have no spinners, and that Chandelure will be switching out a lot. Especially with that Overheat. I suggest finding room for Rapid Spinning to kinda save this. And this thing is dead to Heatrans. And, Psychic isn't too reliable. Yes, I know, kills fighting types. I think an Overheat could potentially take out Conkeldurrs or possibly 2HKO. And, HP Ground would be great against Heatrans.

On Hydreigon, some speed could be really useful. So, Timid > Modest.

On latias, you might as well go for a choice item, and find room for HP Fire. I think HP Fire, Psychic, Dragon Pulse, and Calm Mind would be much more reliable to set up and sweep. The less amount of choice users the better with a team w/o Rapid Spin (IMO).

On Scizor, once again, the plate... don't use it. And, instead of Acrobat, you could run the banded set given in the 2nd post. OR, you could go for the Specially defensive Swords Dance set, which can take out many threats as well as take out some Ice Types.

And, overall, you could use a good amount of tanks... your team goes down pretty quickly to Lati@s if you Chandelure can't take it out with Shadow Ball. With some Clam Minds up, I'm pretty sure they would.

Yeah, the grass gem is temporary until I can save for some choice specs for latios, so agree on that point. The special evs give him enough power that he can take out some of the common water types that threaten Gliscor, and increases healing.

On Chandelure,I haven't come across many spike teams on random matchup, and if I remember correctly, Heatrans not allowed in RM anyway, but I may be be wrong. Gliscor has earthquake for him anyway. Also, Chande is flawless, so its HP dark :/

On Hydreigon, While speed would be useful, I'm afraid his nature is set in stone ^^; Anyway, Modest helps get in a few crucial KO's

On Latios, the lefties are temporary until I save up for some specs, so I agree there. Although, Latios is also Flawless, so HP dark again ^^; I might try out calm mind though ^^

And on Scizor, I agree on the choice band, but same problem as latios.

I have 4 ways to take care of lati@s, so I should be fine there :)

And Gliscor andd Whimsy can take physical moves beautifully, and latios can take some specials as well. But you are still right...

Thanks for the comments ^^

Kerosene

Super Palkia
OK, you need a stealth rock user. This is because Volcarona can destroy you after a boost. Also, try choice scarf terrakion over chandelure to give you a nice revenge killer and check to many threats that can ruin your team.

speedbump07

OK, you need a stealth rock user. This is because Volcarona can destroy you after a boost. Also, try choice scarf terrakion over chandelure to give you a nice revenge killer and check to many threats that can ruin your team.

Actually, after a swords dance boost or two, Gliscor can Acrobat Volcarona to critical or near critical, and chandelure can take any fire and bug attacks and finish with shadow ball if nessesary.

I've never liked Terrakion much, though I WAS thinking about switching Chande with a speed boost Blaizken, to even out my special/physical attacks, and to add some fighting moves.

Kerosene

Super Palkia
Remember that volcarona can have HP rock and that it can set up before you do. Speed Boost Blaziken is banned. You should use a faster revenge killer than chandelure, and CS chandelure is usually only good for sun teams.

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
Unfortunately, Blaziken is Uber. Plus, Chandelure is one of the best counters to your team's threats, so I would keep it. I think Terrakion would be great for the team, but I would either replace Hydreigon or Latios. The two have almost the same moveset and the exact same role.

*EDIT* - Ninja'd by Kerosene

speedbump07

Unfortunately, Blaziken is Uber. Plus, Chandelure is one of the best counters to your team's threats, so I would keep it. I think Terrakion would be great for the team, but I would either replace Hydreigon or Latios. The two have almost the same moveset and the exact same role.

*EDIT* - Ninja'd by Kerosene

Hmmm... is Speed Boost Blaizken banned on random matchup? Or is it just tier wise? I don't really care about tiers, since I will do most of my battling on RM ^^;

I suppose I could drop Hydreigon... but I don't really want a terrakion, however good it is ^^;