• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

My First (decent) attempt at a competitive team

Twilight Gallade

The Gallade of Night
Okay, I'll admit, I am a complete newbie at making true competitive teams, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyways. I'm not entirely sure what EV's to put on my team (since I usually don't EV train, but rather casually train), but I'll try my best at it anyways. So...here I go...

Blaziken w/Life Orb
Naughty Nature
252 HP, 252 SpDef
Ability: Blaze
Sky Uppercut
Flare Blitz
Stone Edge
Shadow Claw/Thunderpunch (via Emerald Move Tutor)

My basic opener and a good physical sweeper. Not sure whether to use Shadow Claw to overdo any Psychics that come around, or Thunderpunch to handle fliers and water types, though Stone Edge handles fliers with ease, so maybe Shadow Claw...I dunno.

Umbreon w/Leftovers
Bold/Calm Nature
252 HP, 252 Speed
Ability: Synchronize
Toxic
Confuse Ray
Double Team
Mean Look

A basic "whittle-down HP while opponent is helpless" combo. True, it doesn't work against Steel or Poison types, and has definite drawbacks when used against another Pokemon with Synchronize, but this Umbreon combo has won me many a match, so that's why I like him.

Drapion w/?? (Item uncertain)
Nature: Quirky
252 Atk, 252 Def
Ability: Battle Armor
Cross Poison
Ice Fang
Swords Dance
Crunch

Another physical sweeper, basically. Just thought I could use another one, especially one with only one type weakness. Still uncertain what item to give it, though.

Magmortar w/?? (again, Item uncertain)
Nature: Modest
252 HP, 252 SpDef
Ability: Flame Body
Flamethrower
Focus Blast
Thunderpunch
Confuse Ray/Psychic

Depending on how he's used, he's kind of a physical/special sweeper, though his nature allows for better special sweeps. Being the case, I only use Thunderpunch if threatened by water. May stick with Psychic rather than confuse the opponent to stay with the special sweeping.

Blissey w/Leftovers
Nature: Bold (not sure about that one, really)
252 HP, 252 Def
Ability: Natural Cure
Softboiled
Ice Beam
Stealth Rock
Thunder Wave

I needed a wall/status absorber, so I guess I'd use Blissey. Not much else to say about her, really, though I'm unsure about putting Stealth Rock on her...eh, maybe it's just me.

Roserade w/Wise Specs
252 HP, 252 SpAtk
Ability: Poison Point
Sludge Bomb
Energy Ball
Shadow Ball
Synthesis

Same Roserade I use in-game, except for a nature change and modded with EV's. Basically a good special sweeper.

There you go, then. My first (and possibly my only, depending on how well this goes with others) attempt at a competitive team. Any help is appreciated, and I can take any opinions, good or bad. Thanks for taking your time to rate my first attempt at this.

La Mort

Likewise, this is my first real attempt at 'rating' a team! I can only offer a couple of suggestions though, as there's smarter people than me to help you with move sets and such. As a physical sweeper, your Blaziken should probably focus on having attack and speed EV's, as any super effective special attack is likely to OHKO him anyways. Likewise with Magmortar, as a sweeper he'll need to focus on speed EV's and SPATK. And as you'll likely be using him to switch in and 'sweep' then maybe Expert Belt might be a good idea to have on him.

hope that helps

~Mort

Last edited:

Keaton

Custom User Title
Okay, I'll admit, I am a complete newbie at making true competitive teams, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyways. I'm not entirely sure what EV's to put on my team (since I usually don't EV train, but rather casually train), but I'll try my best at it anyways. So...here I go...

Blaziken w/Life Orb
Jolly Nature
252 HP, 252 SpDef
Sky Uppercut
Flare Blitz/Blaze Kick is good too
Stone Edge
Thunderpunch (via Emerald Move Tutor)

TP covers weaks whereas Blazk Kick is my choice due to no recoil lol, jolly nature boasts speed and EV's you do need help with...252 Atk/ 252 Spd/ 6HP is standard for a physical sweeper-life orb is good though you could also concider Expert Belt or Choice Band ^^

My basic opener and a good physical sweeper. Not sure whether to use Shadow Claw to overdo any Psychics that come around, or Thunderpunch to handle fliers and water types, though Stone Edge handles fliers with ease, so maybe Shadow Claw...I dunno.

Umbreon w/Leftovers
SassyNature
252 HP, 252 Sdef/ 6def
Toxic/Wish
Confuse Ray/Payback
Baton Pass
Mean Look
Payback is nice because its a good bet he will get hit 1st. Wish is for Recovery (self and team) and baton passed out wishes and also keeps the foe locked in with mean look.

A basic "whittle-down HP while opponent is helpless" combo. True, it doesn't work against Steel or Poison types, and has definite drawbacks when used against another Pokemon with Synchronize, but this Umbreon combo has won me many a match, so that's why I like him.

Drapion w/Life Orb
Nature: Adamant
252 Atk, 252 Def
Cross Poison
Ice Fang
Swords Dance
Crunch

Adamant and Life Orb for more power...although i'm dont know much about Drapion ...sorry

Another physical sweeper, basically. Just thought I could use another one, especially one with only one type weakness. Still uncertain what item to give it, though.

Magmortar@Leftovers/Life Orb
Ability: Flame body
EV: 252 HP/ 252 Satk/ 6 Def
---Flamethrower
---Substitute
---Solarbeam/Focus Blast
---Sunny Day/Will-O-Wisp

I like this one...Solarbeam and Sunny Day together, Focus and Wisp together. ^^ Has a STAB and with Sub he can last long enough to get Will-O-Wisp or set up Sunlight =p

Depending on how he's used, he's kind of a physical/special sweeper, though his nature allows for better special sweeps. Being the case, I only use Thunderpunch if threatened by water. May stick with Psychic rather than confuse the opponent to stay with the special sweeping.

Blissey w/Leftovers
Nature: Bold (not sure about that one, really--dont doubt it its good)
252 HP, 252 Def
Softboiled
Ice Beam
Stealth Rock
Thunder Wave

Works, although Siesmic Toss, Thunderbolt and Ice Beam may be more useful>Stealth Rock..upto you though.

I needed a wall/status absorber, so I guess I'd use Blissey. Not much else to say about her, really, though I'm unsure about putting Stealth Rock on her...eh, maybe it's just me.

Roserade w/Black Sludge
252 HP, 252 SpAtk
Sludge Bomb
Energy Ball
Shadow Ball
Synthesis

Works...especially with Mag's Sunny Day ^^ -- Black Sludge for recovery, Natural Cure so she can take status's.

Same Roserade I use in-game, except for a nature change and modded with EV's. Basically a good special sweeper.

There you go, then. My first (and possibly my only, depending on how well this goes with others) attempt at a competitive team. Any help is appreciated, and I can take any opinions, good or bad. Thanks for taking your time to rate my first attempt at this.

Me in Bold, goo first attempt...nice to see Blaziken getting some action =p

aipomkong

prophecy fulfilled
Blaziken w/Life Orb
Naughty Nature
252 HP, 252 SpDef
Sky Uppercut
Flare Blitz
Stone Edge
Shadow Claw/Thunderpunch (via Emerald Move Tutor)

Awful Evs. Seriously. Blaziken is an attacking Pokemon it should be Ev'd to get the most out of it's attacking not to help it defend which it can't do.

Shadow Claw as final move and use Choice Scarf on it, Adamant nature is much better
Umbreon w/Leftovers
Bold/Calm Nature
252 HP, 252 Speed
Toxic
Confuse Ray
Double Team
Mean Look

Put the Speed evs into something useful like Def and Sdef. Double Team is usually banned from competitive play, or people will flame you when you use it against them.

Double Team / Baton Pass / Wish / Mean Look is the best Baton Pass Umbreon moveset.

Wish / Mean Look / Baton Pass / Curse if you don't want to use Double Team

- Toxic is poor as the most common switch into Umbreon is either Guts Heracross or a steel type, both of which Toxic is useless against.
- Confuse Ray is poor

Drapion w/?? (Item uncertain)
Nature: Quirky
252 Atk, 252 Def
Cross Poison
Ice Fang
Swords Dance
Crunch

Poor nature. Should be Impish and with Leftovers

252 HP / 212 Def / Rest in Atk

Night Slash / Toxic Spikes / Whirlwind / Earthquake or Brick Break

- Battle Armour is poor, Sniper is far better when it learns Night Slash
- Neutral Natures are always bad

Magmortar w/?? (again, Item uncertain)
252 HP, 252 SpDef
Ability: Flame Body
Flamethrower
Focus Blast
Thunderpunch
Confuse Ray/Psychic

Cross Chop / Thunderbolt / Overheat / Hidden Power Ice or Psychic @ Life Orb or Choice Scarf

- Thunderpunch is pointless when it's SAtk is higher and learns Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast is poor
- Confuse ray is poor especially on something so frail
- Again Evs are baffling why would you waste every one of your evs trying to make an offencive pokemon defencive instead of making it's attacking power better.

252 Satk / 186 Spd / Rest in Atk

Blissey w/Leftovers
Nature: Bold (not sure about that one, really)
252 HP, 252 Def
Softboiled
Ice Beam
Stealth Rock
Thunder Wave

Seismic Toss > Stealth Rock otherwise Raikou will destroy your team.

apart from that it's fine

Roserade w/Wise Specs
252 HP, 252 SpAtk
Ability: Poison Point
Sludge Bomb
Energy Ball
Shadow Ball
Synthesis

Wise Glasses is a poor item.

Leaf Storm / Sleep Powder / Shadow Ball / Sludge Bomb or HP Ice or HP Fire @ Life Orb or Choice Specs or Choice Scarf

Edit:

Solarbeam and Sunny Day together

Rating teams is meant to be helping them. Not making them worse, thanks.

aipomkong

prophecy fulfilled
taking full advantage of it is using something like Overheat/Bolt/HP Ice/Cross Chop which takes full advantage of it's huge Satk without the need to die trying ti set-up and while being a special sweeper not walled by Blissey

Keaton

Custom User Title
taking full advantage of it is using something like Overheat/Bolt/HP Ice/Cross Chop which takes full advantage of it's huge Satk without the need to die trying ti set-up and while being a special sweeper not walled by Blissey

noted. ^^ anyway the whole team is Garchomp weak, all pokes except Blissey take a super-effective hit and she is the only one who can hit him back super effective (via Ice Beam)...and his Life Orbed + STAB EQ isnt going to keep her around for long either ^^

You could really do with Ice Shard on someone...to get him after he switches...

Twilight Gallade

The Gallade of Night
noted. ^^ anyway the whole team is Garchomp weak, all pokes except Blissey take a super-effective hit and she is the only one who can hit him back super effective (via Ice Beam)...and his Life Orbed + STAB EQ isnt going to keep her around for long either ^^

You could really do with Ice Shard on someone...to get him after he switches...

I actually just noticed that...silly me. Perhaps getting a good Ice-type on the team to replace...I dunno, maybe Umbreon would be good. Was thinking about a Glaceon or perhaps Froslass...maybe even Weavile.

Keaton

Custom User Title
I actually just noticed that...silly me. Perhaps getting a good Ice-type on the team to replace...I dunno, maybe Umbreon would be good. Was thinking about a Glaceon or perhaps Froslass...maybe even Weavile.

Weavile is good but then you lose defences...Ice Beam Cress would help you, or Mammoswine, or Donphan...they all have adequate defences and learn a decent Ice Move (beam with Cress, shard with mammo and donphan) plus Donphans Rapid Spin would help out Blaziken from taking too much damage comming in ^^

Twilight Gallade

The Gallade of Night
Weavile is good but then you lose defences...Ice Beam Cress would help you, or Mammoswine, or Donphan...they all have adequate defences and learn a decent Ice Move (beam with Cress, shard with mammo and donphan) plus Donphans Rapid Spin would help out Blaziken from taking too much damage comming in ^^

Cresselia I would use if it wasn't for the Adamant nature I got on it (I am assuming to believe that isn't a good nature for it, besides to help with Psycho Cut), but maybe Mammoswine sounds good...still need it for my Pokedex anyways. =p

Thanks for your opinions on this matter, everyone!

Keaton

Custom User Title
Cresselia I would use if it wasn't for the Adamant nature I got on it (I am assuming to believe that isn't a good nature for it, besides to help with Psycho Cut), but maybe Mammoswine sounds good...still need it for my Pokedex anyways. =p

Thanks for your opinions on this matter, everyone!

Someone in the trade forum may have a Cress you need...but I would use Donphan ^^